The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

Question: how do I install a mod that's supposedly outdated, but I know works?

Case in point: 6s Compartment Tubes. It ships with a version of Firespitter that doesn't work since, eh, 0.23, but if you install the .dll from Firespitter mod instead it will work just fine (and Firespitter works on 0.90).

Case in point: 6s Compartment Tubes. It ships with a version of Firespitter that doesn't work since, eh, 0.23, but if you install the .dll from Firespitter mod instead it will work just fine (and Firespitter works on 0.90).

I highly recommend that you don't do this and wait until the mod in question is patched for 0.90. Also, this is completely unsupported, I'm not even sure what will happen, but if you edit your readme.txt you can fool CKAN into thinking your KSP is whatever version you want and then you can install older mods e.g. replace Version 0.90.0 with Version 0.25.0

I highly recommend that you don't do this and wait until the mod in question is patched for 0.90. Also, this is completely unsupported, I'm not even sure what will happen, but if you edit your readme.txt you can fool CKAN into thinking your KSP is whatever version you want and then you can install older mods e.g. replace Version 0.90.0 with Version 0.25.0

I just checked, and on the .ckan file for 6s Firespitter is correctly listed as a dependency, and the mod downloads only the part model. It should work on 0.90, right?

I'm... trying to get the github to say 0.90. If I (ever) figure out how github works apart from downloading mods :mad:

-edit- better yet, will try it on my clean install manually first to confirm it works... ...and so it does! Great fun ahead.

Edited by monstah

What version of ksp are you using?

If it is .90, it will take a little while for ckan to update its index (if I am not mistaken, the indexer runs once an hour so the longest wait time should be around 60 minutes until the repo automatically updates).

If it is .25, make sure that ckan's windows says "Kerbal Space Program 0.25.0" on the top right-hand corner. If it says anything else, you need to select the folder where you have .25 installed by choosing a new ksp folder.

I am using .25, and yes it does say Kerbal Space Program 0.25.0

Edited by Speedbird

This might be a bit of a dumb question, but how do I actually *install* the mods? The "apply all changes" button is gone from the experimental version, replaced with a "go to changes" - and all that does is list the changes that are scheduled to be made.

AIUI, you have three options:

- wait for an updated specfile to hit the repo

- host your own CKAN repo, edit the specfile, and update from that (ckan update -r)

- download the specfile and install from that directly (ckan install -c)

This is me jumping in very quickly to say that we've found and fixed a bug where, in some circumstances, the CKAN client may suggest or even try to install the wrong version of a mod for your KSP. This is something that we never want to happen (it breaks our core promise of consistency), so it is recommended that all users please upgrade to v1.3.5 (neutrino) or later.

If you've ended up with the wrong version of a module due to this bug, you can safely un-install and re-install the mod using the CKAN client and all will be fine.

Many thanks,

~ Paul

AIUI, you have three options:

- wait for an updated specfile to hit the repo

- host your own CKAN repo, edit the specfile, and update from that (ckan update -r)

- download the specfile and install from that directly (ckan install -c)

Or you can send us updated metadata for the mod. One of the reasons we've had such a huge success with the CKAN project is the incredible number of volunteers who have taken the time to index their favourite mods.

Although in the case of 6S Compartment Tubes, I've just updated the metadata now, so it should now install happily on any recent KSP as long we've indexed Firespitter.dll for that KSP (which we have for both 0.25 and 0.90).

~ Paul

Hi there! A quick question-- Is there a "check all" button for updating all mods that have available updates, and I'm just not seeing it? I've been clicking each little checkbox, which can get to be a pain when the list gets long. :)

Also, I keep getting an unhandled exception on the first file it attempts to write. These mods were installed by CKAN on a previous run (I removed everything and let CKAN pull them for me). This is preceded by several messages about not removing non-empty folders for these mods. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks,

EDIT: Screenshot:

http://ksp.necrobones.com/images/screenshots/ckan-crash.png

I cleared this up by manually deleting, and then CKAN-reinstalling a few mods, and now it seems OK.

Somethings wrong with the NEAR installation from CKAN. it says 1.3.1 available, 0.90 compatible, but it downloads and installs 1.3a (which is 0.25 version). Had to replace it with manually downloaded NEAR. (repo is from now, no old NEAR installations before that)

Somethings wrong with the NEAR installation from CKAN. it says 1.3.1 available, 0.90 compatible, but it downloads and installs 1.3a (which is 0.25 version). Had to replace it with manually downloaded NEAR. (repo is from now, no old NEAR installations before that)

Hi thyriel, try installing the latest version of CKAN ("Neutrino", at the moment) as it fixes specifically your bug.

To everyone: sorry I haven't been around recently, but I'm pretty sick and I'm not really in shape to help you guys out at the moment :/

Hi guys!

Just wanted to mention that the Link to the forums in the "Help" menu still points at the old forum thread.

Also: is there a way to be able to install versions that are marked as "not compatible" (e.g. a mod that hasnt updated the JSON file yet but seems to work fine with the new KSP version). As far as i can tell, versions that dont meet the requirements are missing the checkbox to install. It would be nice if there were some sort of "do it at own risk" mod that allows to ignore the current metadata version

Also: GREAT WORK!

How was I supposed to handle the 0.90 update with CKAN? Here’s how it went:

1. Steam updates KSP to 0.90; I update CKAN to 1.3.0 and open it.
  2. I refresh repository & see that some mods are compatible, some aren’t, some need updates, and some have no updates. The incompatible ones that also have no updates have no option to uninstall.
  3. I update the mods I can update, then manually remove the incompatible mods, and reload CKAN. It tells me I still have the incompatible mods installed. (That is, as before, they appear when I filter by “Installed,†yet have a “-†in the “Installed†column, which is confusing.)
  4. I delete GameData/CKAN and all mods. Reload CKAN, install compatible mods, manually restore backed‑up mod settings.

I assume this was not the intended procedure.

Hi thyriel, try installing the latest version of CKAN ("Neutrino", at the moment) as it fixes specifically your bug.

To everyone: sorry I haven't been around recently, but I'm pretty sick and I'm not really in shape to help you guys out at the moment :/

Thanks ;)

Btw would be great to have CKAN itself in the repos list to see updates. Wouldn't need to install anything just for something in the program to see when a new update is available.

I don't have much in regards to suggestions, but I just want to throw a huge THANK YOU for making this. This has really made me to spend more time playing with the mods than installing/configuring them :) Your work is appreciated!

Thanks ;)

Btw would be great to have CKAN itself in the repos list to see updates. Wouldn't need to install anything just for something in the program to see when a new update is available.

CKAN auto-update is on the front of our TODO list :)

Anyway, CKAN 1.3.6 codenamed "Ecliptic" is up with an important fix - alternate repos in the GUI now work again. Get it from the releases page.

I am using .25, and yes it does say Kerbal Space Program 0.25.0

Um... Hello?

.90 was such a big update, i went for a fresh reinstall right away. Many profound changes were made so many mods will not work and need to be updated. Also, i am using CKAN version1.3.2 and i am not having any issues

Wait ksp 0.90 is out?

I noticed that USI-SRV 0.2.0 isn't being picked up by NetKAN. The metafile looks ok; any idea what's going wrong?

How was I supposed to handle the 0.90 update with CKAN? Here’s how it went:

1. Steam updates KSP to 0.90; I update CKAN to 1.3.0 and open it.
  2. I refresh repository & see that some mods are compatible, some aren’t, some need updates, and some have no updates. The incompatible ones that also have no updates have no option to uninstall.
  3. I update the mods I can update, then manually remove the incompatible mods, and reload CKAN. It tells me I still have the incompatible mods installed. (That is, as before, they appear when I filter by “Installed,†yet have a “-†in the “Installed†column, which is confusing.)
  4. I delete GameData/CKAN and all mods. Reload CKAN, install compatible mods, manually restore backed‑up mod settings.

I assume this was not the intended procedure.

I don't know if there's an intended procedure for this, but here's how I did it:

• Delete everything except the CKAN directory
  • Revalidate KSP install so everything gets re-downloaded
  • Periodically 'ckan list' to see which mods have updated, and then 'ckan upgrade' to install them

There's no need to uninstall the incompatible mods this way because they aren't actually installed, but CKAN still has them in the list so it's easy to check and see which ones have been updated.

That said, I use the command line and you seem to be talking about the GUI; I don't know how it handles this.

Wait ksp 0.90 is out?

Two days ago, yes.

Anyone else keep getting 403 errors for some mods?

EDIT: I realize this is a crappy bug report. I'll get back with better detail if I can reproduce this.

Edited by PTTG