The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

I love CKAN it's really 1000 times easier than doing mod updates by hand.

It's unfortunate though that not ever mod is with the program yet. In linux there's something called package maintainers which are people who do not make the software but put the software in the package managers. Would something like that be an option?

Also, some mods are marked as incompatible. While I doubt they truly are. Is there a way to force install those via CKAN anyway?

And thirdly but this is probably a long shot... Could it be possible to install partial mods? I'm usually not interested in all the parts a new mod introduces. If CKAN could allow me to leave out parts, or, just install one or two parts from a mod that'd be epic.

I love CKAN it's really 1000 times easier than doing mod updates by hand.

It's unfortunate though that not ever mod is with the program yet. In linux there's something called package maintainers which are people who do not make the software but put the software in the package managers. Would something like that be an option?

Also, some mods are marked as incompatible. While I doubt they truly are. Is there a way to force install those via CKAN anyway?

And thirdly but this is probably a long shot... Could it be possible to install partial mods? I'm usually not interested in all the parts a new mod introduces. If CKAN could allow me to leave out parts, or, just install one or two parts from a mod that'd be epic.

Hi! Well, everyone can be a package maintainer, in fact we'd love to see more contributors join us! :)

Just pop us some pull requests with the metadata you want to see added or updated :)

Currently there's no way to force ckan to install incompatible packages, except for some "hackish" way that are better left somewhat hidden :)

We are not planning to support partial mods, since basically we want the client to install exactly what (and how) the author intended.

First of all I have to thank you for a fantastic mod.

But to make a two hour long story of cursing and swearing short, I figured out that CKAN is dependent on the the stock "readme.txt" file in the root ksp folder.

You know when you are slightly OCD then you do some cleanup in the folders. And suddenly CKAN told me that I had to select KSP install and I could not select my install which I already had installed several mods with CKAN. Kept getting the message: .../Kerbal Space Program/ is not a valid KSP folder.

But to make a two hour long story of cursing and swearing short, I figured out that CKAN is dependent on the the stock "readme.txt" file in the root ksp folder.

Yep, sorry about that :)

Let me warn everyone that we are currently working on a *huge* repo restructuring and this might get a little weird on the repo. The current clients should not be affected (the metadata repositories are not being touched), but we might be a little busy moving issues and adjusting the wiki :)

I have a little problem.

I am re-installing all the mods that CKAN can find, so CKAN will update them automaticly (i think autodetected mods are not updated).

I delete a mod folder in GameData folder, in CKAN press Refresh, then download and install mod with CKAN.

All went well until a came to ModuleManager. If i delete ModuleManager and press Refresh CKAN throws out error about dependency missing.

How can I force install ModuleManager?

PS: CKAN is great!

EDIT: I had to uninstall FAR and TweakScale wich had the dependanci. Then re-instaled them

no other mod was protesting, just those two.

Edited by sralica

First gratz for relase nice manger. What is the update cyle for ckan when mods have a update . mean when mod update on kerbalstuff is and last update off ckan little before kerbalstuff update what time must go that ckan find it out.

First gratz for relase nice manger. What is the update cyle for ckan when mods have a update . mean when mod update on kerbalstuff is and last update off ckan little before kerbalstuff update what time must go that ckan find it out.

About an hour or so. The netkan-bot runs hourly and scans kerbalstuff updates, but if the author updated just one minute too late... :D

I have a little problem.

I am re-installing all the mods that CKAN can find, so CKAN will update them automaticly (i think autodetected mods are not updated).

I delete a mod folder in GameData folder, in CKAN press Refresh, then download and install mod with CKAN.

All went well until a came to ModuleManager. If i delete ModuleManager and press Refresh CKAN throws out error about dependency missing.

How can I force install ModuleManager?

PS: CKAN is great!

EDIT: I had to uninstall FAR and TweakScale wich had the dependanci. Then re-instaled them

no other mod was protesting, just those two.

I just installed CKAN and was put off using it because of this - I will have to reinstall 17 mods some of which will need setting up again aftwerwards.

Would it be possible to add a feature to have CKAN take ownership of these mods?

Would it be possible to add a feature to have CKAN take ownership of these mods?

Hi, I'm sorry but no. There's no plan to ever give full support to mods installed manually - it would be an endless can of worms that we are not really interested in opening :)

I just installed CKAN and was put off using it because of this - I will have to reinstall 17 mods some of which will need setting up again aftwerwards.

I set up my very first ckanified installation by

* ckan scan

* find mod I am interested in

* remove it from GameData

* ckan install <modid>

* play, play, test, test, play

* go to second step for next mod

Honestly, by now, you can leave out the testing part... Simply move all your hand-installed mods to a backup folder (outside GameData), reinstall them via ckan, and be happy.

Should one of your preferred mods not be in ckan, let me kindly point you to the "Helping the development" section on https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN :)

I just came back on to say forget the feature request, it took a bit of patience but I've now migrated to CKAN. The reasons this feature won't be added make sense.

I'll take a look at the link above, as I use 5 mods which are not supported. I'm surprised remotetech isn't! (Edit: It is in the "incompatible" list, sorry.)

As a skyrim player, I was hoping to find a mod manager like this, so thank you.

Edited by Matt77
inaccuracy

So I just got this error when trying to update FAR:

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'E:\Steam Games\Kerbal Space Program\Ships\SPH\English Electric Lightning.craft'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.CopyZipEntry(ZipFile zipfile, ZipEntry entry, String fullPath, Boolean makeDirs)

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallModule(CkanModule module, String zip_filename)

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install(CkanModule module, String filename)

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.AddRemove(IEnumerable`1 add, IEnumerable`1 remove)

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Upgrade(IEnumerable`1 modules, NetAsyncDownloader netAsyncDownloader)

at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Upgrade(IEnumerable`1 identifiers, NetAsyncDownloader netAsyncDownloader)

at CKAN.Main.InstallMods(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

Omitted since all I think is necessary is here already

************** JIT Debugging **************

Same

I do not know why this has happened. Everything exists there in terms of the path. Hopefully you guys can help, as it seems the only solution is to reinstall realism overhaul with FAR.

We are not planning to support partial mods, since basically we want the client to install exactly what (and how) the author intended.

Ippo, it would be nice if this was reconsidered. Could we put a block-list on parts on our end, to customize which parts we use? I am thinking things like using Infernal Robotics with the Parts Rework instead of the Legacy parts or AIES and KW without the fairings, or B9 without the weird giant cube parts. It would be nice to do this automatically, instead of manually each time.

Otherwise, I love CKAN.

Edited by larkvi

Are you taking feature requests? If so, would it be possible to append/pull/attach/magic the changelog from forum posts/other_source and feed it into a tab on the right side of the GUI?

You can always add an issue at https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-support/issues explaining your request. Even more welcome is, though, to write some code and send us a pull request :)

So I just got this error when trying to update FAR:

I do not know why this has happened. Everything exists there in terms of the path. Hopefully you guys can help, as it seems the only solution is to reinstall realism overhaul with FAR.

It's a known issue, you probably don't have the VAB/SPH folder in the Ships directory anymore : https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-core/issues/3

ckan delete them when uninstalling FAR and is prevented to recreate them.

Manually recreating them should allow FAR to install correctly.

Hey guys, stupid question:

I updated my Mod to a new version and now I want it to show up in CKAN. It's already in the NETKAN Repo, and the updated version is uploaded to GitHub and KerbalStuff. What's left to do now?

As this point it should be automatic. I updated one of mine last night and CKAN is showing me the new version now.

It does take a few hours to propagate though, how long ago did you update?

D.

Ippo, it would be nice if this was reconsidered. Could we put a block-list on parts on our end, to customize which parts we use? I am thinking things like using Infernal Robotics with the Parts Rework instead of the Legacy parts or AIES and KW without the fairings, or B9 without the weird giant cube parts. It would be nice to do this automatically, instead of manually each time.

Otherwise, I love CKAN.

How about a partial-install syntax that the mod authors can use to define subsets that can be installed? Best of both worlds (but a lot more work of course, for everyone), IMHO.

This looks really cool, and I'll definitly be trying this out.

In the meantime:

Several of the links at the bottom of the OP (FAQ, Wiki, that stuf) links to an empty site with a redirect link. No big deal, but looks like the link needs updating

As this point it should be automatic. I updated one of mine last night and CKAN is showing me the new version now.

It does take a few hours to propagate though, how long ago did you update?

D.

Not long, about an hour before the post. I just wanted to know how to proceed.

I'm hoping the "new in repository" filter in the GUI will one day actually keep track of what's new since the last refresh. It's currently just showing everything.

I know it's a system that's still in the fairly early stages, but I'm delighted with how the community has taken to CKAN, and hope it becomes a perfect heart of the KSP mod ecosystem for some time to come.