The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

What version of CKAN are you using and with which version of KSP? Do you have any manually installed mods, if so which ones? What is the output of 'ckan list --porcelain'? Can you upload your registry.json somewhere so we can have a look at it?

kso shuttle i was landing is fall down straightly and

kso shuttle turning upside down during reentry

Is it just me or CKAN is supposed to crash when it cannot remove some mod (that doesn't really exist any more in the Gamedata folder)?

Actually it was quite a problem when I accidentally removed Modulemanager dll from the Gamedata and since many other mods depended on it CKAN crashed every time it could not resolve dependency. Repairing registry did not help at all. I had to place the modulemanager back in order to make it start working again.

Also, I downloaded the source of the GUI client to see if I could resolve this issue, but there are references for 'log4net' and 'CKAN' assemblies.

NuGet module manager offers several 'log4nets' and I'm not quite sure which one I have to install, and I have no idea where to get a compiled CKAN assembly (it's written in Perl, as I could say from the GitHub page) and I don't have a compiler.

I too got in a state where ModuleManager got autodetected (snuck in hidden in KerbPaint), but if I remove it to install MM from CKAN, it crashes when I run refresh (because other mods depend on MM). So I now have to install ModuleManager manually. Is there any way for me to tell CKAN to ignore the fact that it autodetected MM so I can install/update it via the CKAN route?

Is it just me or CKAN is supposed to crash when it cannot remove some mod (that doesn't really exist any more in the Gamedata folder)?

Actually it was quite a problem when I accidentally removed Modulemanager dll from the Gamedata and since many other mods depended on it CKAN crashed every time it could not resolve dependency. Repairing registry did not help at all. I had to place the modulemanager back in order to make it start working again.

Also, I downloaded the source of the GUI client to see if I could resolve this issue, but there are references for 'log4net' and 'CKAN' assemblies.

NuGet module manager offers several 'log4nets' and I'm not quite sure which one I have to install, and I have no idea where to get a compiled CKAN assembly (it's written in Perl, as I could say from the GitHub page) and I don't have a compiler.

I'd recommend an issue over at github if you haven't already opened one, I think you'll get much better answers there to all questiosn related to the code and what the different assemblies are.

I too got in a state where ModuleManager got autodetected (snuck in hidden in KerbPaint), but if I remove it to install MM from CKAN, it crashes when I run refresh (because other mods depend on MM). So I now have to install ModuleManager manually. Is there any way for me to tell CKAN to ignore the fact that it autodetected MM so I can install/update it via the CKAN route?

There is a non-optimal and dirty workaround found in https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/847

The best way to not get this problem is to not manually install mods together with CKAN handled ones. If you want a mod added please open an issue over at github :)

(But I understand if you're just a user trying to help, I appreciate it :))

Just user who trying to help. Also modder, but not for KSP yet, different game, different comunity. So, I understand concerns from both perspective, you as modder and regular user and CKAN developers as well. Some colaboration is needed to make everyone happy using CKAN.

Less complication and things to worry about from modder side while alowing simple maintenance of CKAN database repository from their staff members. Also need to be idiot proof from user side, less posible options to choose and make some screwup trough bad install because those who actualy read something on screen trough install procedure is rare species.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but based on what I have read in above post, from modder side of view, to make everyone happy you need folowing:

1. Main zip package for your mod
  2. List of mandatory packages (or other mod) that were needed for your main mod to work properly - All of them necessary
  3. List of mutualy exclusive packages - at least one of them is mandatory for your mod, but if you choose one, other packages on that list must be excluded(unchecked) from install
  4. List of optional packages, things that could improve your mod, but it is not mandatrory for your main mod to work properly

More-less it could be done, only thing missing is No. 3) - that kind of feature have to be done from CKAN side. It could improve automatic install more, but it will require some collaboration between various modders and CKAN developers. I throwed up some ideas, I hope that you will be able to do rest.

Afterall, all users could benefit from this, to have safe and quick way of maintaining heavily moded game like lot of us have.

kso shuttle i was landing is fall down straightly and

kso shuttle turning upside down during reentry

This isn't the KSO thread, this is the CKAN thread. If you're using KSP 1.0.x, the KSO mod IS NOT updated. Go to the KSO thread to say anything else about it.

Sorry if dumb question, total CKAN noob here.

The mods I had already installed in my GameData folder when I downloaded CKAN appear under the 'Installed' column as 'AD'. I guess this identifies previously installed mods, but will CKAN work on these as well? I know for a fact a couple of these are outdated. How do I make CKAN update them?

Thanks in advance!

This isn't the KSO thread, this is the CKAN thread. If you're using KSP 1.0.x, the KSO mod IS NOT updated. Go to the KSO thread to say anything else about it.

We do have a 1.0.2 compatible version. (Its even in CKAN).

~~~

Anyway, quick question, I just decided to check out CKAN, and Im curious if it can autodetect any other mods or if its limited to those with dll files? Or is there any way for me to tell it what mods I have installed so I can seamlessly start using it?

Sorry if dumb question, total CKAN noob here.

The mods I had already installed in my GameData folder when I downloaded CKAN appear under the 'Installed' column as 'AD'. I guess this identifies previously installed mods, but will CKAN work on these as well? I know for a fact a couple of these are outdated. How do I make CKAN update them?

Thanks in advance!

Anyway, quick question, I just decided to check out CKAN, and Im curious if it can autodetect any other mods or if its limited to those with dll files? Or is there any way for me to tell it what mods I have installed so I can seamlessly start using it?

Converting AD mods over to CKAN is a gamble at best. There's an old migration tool plugin somewhere in this forum which might still work and can seamlessly convert AD to CKAN handled mods. The best solution is to remove all AD mods manually, run a Refresh and then (after they're no longer there) install them through CKAN. If you've already installed other mods through CKAN which depend on AD mods though you'll run into Krakens which also require the removal of those mods before you can properly refresh.

TL:DR; CKAN is best used on installs without any manually installed mods.

EDIT; Discussion on AD mods can be found e.g. at https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/949

Firespitter won't install (it gets a conflict between Firespitter Core and Firespitter, even though it insists I install both).

Infernal Robotics won't download. Connection reset.

Need more information, what version of Firespitter and Firespittercore are you attempting to install? What mod is it you're attempting to install? What version of CKAN and KSP are you using? What is the exact error thrown?

Same questions for Infernal Robotics.

EDIT: Unable to reproduce on an empty 1.0.2 install, are you by chance updating firespitter rather than installing it?

Edited by Dazpoet

I was another victim of faulty re-installs trough CKAN. I have described everything in SETIctt thread where I was reported bug for first time.

Don't get me wrong, I will continue to use CKAN, but I think that people should be more aware how CKAN works. If you unintsall something trough CKAN and CKAN reports that folder is not empty, it should be done trough more noticable way. I mean, CKAN reports it in that text box, but lot of users will just ignore warning and continue to play game until they encounter some nasty bug and have to chase down trough each mod to find out reason for issue.

It could be a better if there is option to force deleting mod folder, even if something is detected inside that was not there in first place. Usualy it is some kind of config file that is created only when you start game with that mod installed. That option should be turned off, by default, but for those who knows what they doing could be available to turn it on. Or, when it is detected that folder is not empty, to ask user if he want to delete it anyway, with big warning text on screen.

I was another victim of faulty re-installs trough CKAN. I have described everything in SETIctt thread where I was reported bug for first time.

Don't get me wrong, I will continue to use CKAN, but I think that people should be more aware how CKAN works. If you unintsall something trough CKAN and CKAN reports that folder is not empty, it should be done trough more noticable way. I mean, CKAN reports it in that text box, but lot of users will just ignore warning and continue to play game until they encounter some nasty bug and have to chase down trough each mod to find out reason for issue.

It could be a better if there is option to force deleting mod folder, even if something is detected inside that was not there in first place. Usualy it is some kind of config file that is created only when you start game with that mod installed. That option should be turned off, by default, but for those who knows what they doing could be available to turn it on. Or, when it is detected that folder is not empty, to ask user if he want to delete it anyway, with big warning text on screen.

Personally I'm more a fan of a more radical approach, original proposed by ferram4.

If your mod creates files, then it's not fully ckan-compatible. End of story. It's a little radical, I know, but... :)

I will use this occasion to forward my agenda of seeing an "uninstall" stanza join the spec to allow for the removal of created files :)

New MacTastic Release - v1.16.17 aka Titania!

• [GUI/Feature] The current gamedir is now shown in the GUI title bar (RichardLake)
  • [GUI/Bugfix] Fewer things being drawn in the wrong tab in OSX (savagerose)
  • [GUI/Bugfix] More responsive filter box in OSX (savagerose)
  • [GUI/Fortitude] Better error reporting and and handling when a corrupt GUI config is detected (mgsdk)
  • [GUI/Tweak] Tabs have a little longer to settle after updating on OSX (savagerose)
  • [GUI/Bugfix] Changing the KSP no longer loops forever in some circumstances (RichardLake)
  • [GUI/Feature] File -> Export Installed Mods can be used to export installed mod metadata. These can be installed via File -> Install from .ckan (cwc)
  • [GUI/Bugfix] Downloads on the GUI will have less slowdowns when not jiggling the mouse (savagerose)
  • [GUI/Tweak] The GUI window's default position is more friendly to users with side-mounted taskbars (Dazpoet)
  • [Cmdline/Bugfix] ckan show now correctly shows data for installed mods, even if they don't exist in upstream metadata (mgsdk).
  • [Cmdline/Bugfix] ckan update now fetches updates from all upstream repos when configured to do so (mgsdk).
  • [Core/Bugfix] More reliable detection of platform when running under OSX (savagerose)
  • [Core/Bugfix] Downloads from multiple repos are saved more reliably (mgsdk)
  • [Core/Bugfix] Fewer issues when caching mods with exciting characters in their version strings (pjf).

Serious kudos to savagerose in particular for swatting OSX bugs in this release.

This release works on all platforms.

Edited by pjf
It works on all platforms.

Error in new CKAN :

Detecting mods compatible with KSP 1.0.2 as not compatible for 0.90 , but I use KSP 1.0.2 !

In the previous version it did not occur, only after today's update .

Error in new CKAN :

Detecting mods compatible with KSP 1.0.2 as not compatible for 0.90 , but I use KSP 1.0.2 !

In the previous version it did not occur, only after today's update .

Can you expand on this? Is the CKAN claiming you have 0.90 installed, or is there a specific mod that's showing the issue?

This is going to be the silliest question EVER...

Anyway, I just started using linux (ubuntu 14.04) and I'm still getting the hang of things... I managed to install Steam, KSP and ckan and they all seem to run just fine but my problem is how do I configure ckan? From what I can see steam is installed on a hidden folder (~/.local/share/Steam) but since it's hidden I can't chose it with ckan...

Can anyone tell me how I can handle this? As a side question I'd love if anyone could tell me where is the expected place to install programs on linux (something like C:/program files/ on windows). So far I've been mostly installing things using apt-get which is easy enough but not all programs use it and at some point I'll need to know how things work...

Thanks for the tips... :)

Anyway, I just started using linux (ubuntu 14.04) and I'm still getting the hang of things... I managed to install Steam, KSP and ckan and they all seem to run just fine but my problem is how do I configure ckan? From what I can see steam is installed on a hidden folder (~/.local/share/Steam) but since it's hidden I can't chose it with ckan...

Can anyone tell me how I can handle this? As a side question I'd love if anyone could tell me where is the expected place to install programs on linux (something like C:/program files/ on windows). So far I've been mostly installing things using apt-get which is easy enough but not all programs use it and at some point I'll need to know how things work...

I just put the ckan.exe in the KSP folder and it automatically configures, however I don't use Steam.

Personally I'm more a fan of a more radical approach, original proposed by ferram4.

If your mod creates files, then it's not fully ckan-compatible. End of story. It's a little radical, I know, but... :)

I will use this occasion to forward my agenda of seeing an "uninstall" stanza join the spec to allow for the removal of created files :)

Yes, it is radical, but I agree to that. If something is not CKAN compatible, user should install it by himself, outside of CKAN.

But, again, option to be able to wipe out whole folder when you ininstall mod, could also help. I understand concerns that something that user have add in that folder could be lost, but in most cases, there is no such super high important data in mods folder anyway. Mostly it will be just additional config files or in some cases backup of texture files, if you have used DDS converter for mods that still use png or something else.

In my case, wiping out whole mod folder could prevent that strange bug I have suffered. There is not lot of users that could investigate true reasons behind it and will just spamm forum in various threads complaining that something is not working. In conclusion, not deleting entire folder from some mod thinking something of ultra high of importance data is in that folder is actualy backfired to CKAN users creating more bugs where they should not exist.

Well, my intention is to be more informative about whole "uninstall" discussion and pro/cons behind it. If other users who have read this will pay attention more in future when using CKAN, half of job is already done.

Yes I did this other day, you can't select it manually, but you can set it as the directory using the terminal. Press ctrl + alt + t to bring up a terminal window and type (may need to CD to wherever your ckan.exe directory is first)

mono ckan.exe ksp add default /path/to/your/install

followed by

mono ckan.exe ksp default default

With regards to your question about install directory, well in linux files are grouped by function rather than what program uses them. So for example some executable files might be installed to /usr/bin, some required libraries (which could be shared by different programs) could be installed to /usr/lib, other files in /usr/share and so on and so forth. Steam is a bit of a funky one in that it apparently installs to the home partition (which is for user documents / music / pictures / videos / etc). Not sure why.

If your mod creates files, then it's not fully ckan-compatible. End of story. It's a little radical, I know, but...

I'm not a fan of this. It's terribly limiting, and mods *should* be able to create files if they want to.

But, again, option to be able to wipe out whole folder when you ininstall mod, could also help.

I'm not a fan of this either. Lots of mods will find themselves co-existing in the same folder, and this is just asking for collateral damage.

Luckily, there are some ways I am fond of for managing this. They're also very much aligned with us being able to make strong promises when converting autodetected mods to CKAN-managed mods, and they also let us make strong promises when it comes to preserving or removing files on upgrades or uninstalls.

TL;DR: We're working on it.

~ pjf

Can you expand on this? Is the CKAN claiming you have 0.90 installed, or is there a specific mod that's showing the issue?
Forget it, I activated the beta updates in Steam , and the Squad kicked me for 0.90. My apologies. ^^

[]'s