The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

so im having great trouble trying to install ro with ckan on ubuntu 14.04 im a noob at ubuntu and not fantastic with understanding computer language full stop. i have the latest ksp on the ubuntu install but i cant find instructions that work for me on using ckan. i followed the instructions on github (https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Installing-CKAN-on-Ubuntu-14.04) but when it comes to launching the program with "/usr/local/bin/mono ckan.exe" i get "no such file or directory found".

just dropping it into the ksp folder and running like i would in windows it comes up and i can refresh to see all the mods but the options are greyed out and unusable. trying to install the mods i can select them all and proceed to the install page but it just stays on the status "updating mods" and doesnt do anything.

i tried doing just "mono ckan.exe" like it says on the first page here and i get the no such file or directory found and i get the same if i put in the full path of the file /desktop/something/KSP/mono ckan.exe

so what am i doing wrong? im aware this is really a linux support question but honestly this is the only thing i have linux for (64bit RO) so going elsewhere seems kindof pointless. anyone able to help me?

-Hello!

Having tried CKAN back in v0.90 and loved it, I;ve had to wait until now to be able to play v1.04 of KSP, as I needed to replace my PC. Having done so, and gotten KSP 1.04 running beautifully, I went to install CKAN - and this time can;t get it to work at all. I am running 64 bit Linux Mint 17.1, and mono is installed, but it's throwing errors like crazy. I tried the apt-get install for the openssl thing that was mentioned on the CKAN site, but no deal - it won't install.

Any advice welcomed :-)

i tried doing just "mono ckan.exe" like it says on the first page here and i get the no such file or directory found and i get the same if i put in the full path of the file /desktop/something/KSP/mono ckan.exe

so what am i doing wrong? im aware this is really a linux support question but honestly this is the only thing i have linux for (64bit RO) so going elsewhere seems kindof pointless. anyone able to help me?

Open terminal and run 'mono fullpath/ckan.exe' That should do it. after a while i got lazy and dropped ckan into 'home' folder and now start it as 'mono ckan.exe'

Also being a nix/ubuntu-whatever nooby i can't for the life of me run shellscripts through GUI, i gave it permissions, checkbox "allow executing as a program' is checked but it still launches as a text file. I exhausted first page of google and just gave up, which is sad. I suspect it's got something to do with default application in 'open with', but 'awesome shellscript launcher' is missing from the list.

Open terminal and run 'mono fullpath/ckan.exe' That should do it. after a while i got lazy and dropped ckan into 'home' folder and now start it as 'mono ckan.exe'

Also being a nix/ubuntu-whatever nooby i can't for the life of me run shellscripts through GUI, i gave it permissions, checkbox "allow executing as a program' is checked but it still launches as a text file. I exhausted first page of google and just gave up, which is sad. I suspect it's got something to do with default application in 'open with', but 'awesome shellscript launcher' is missing from the list.

Change the default application to Mono Runtime and you should be able to run it directly. At least, that's what mine is set to.

so i worked out how to run i with mono, just right click and select run with mono, but im getting the same problem while trying to install the mods. it just sits on the "updating mods" stage indefinately with the progress bar zipping left to right and doing nothing.

as im not having much luck, would there be any reason why: making a dummy install on windows installing all the mods i want and then just copying the gamedata folder over, wouldnt work?

Change the default application to Mono Runtime and you should be able to run it directly. At least, that's what mine is set to.

For some reason i don't have that option, even thought mono is installed. Anyhow, i solved my problem, in the nautilus (file manager) preference there is an option to edit/run/ask what to do with executable files, for some reason it's 'edit' by default, doesn't make much sense to me, but now my shellscript works!

I know this is a silly minute request, but I realized we have no special icon for CKAN.

Maybe we should crowdsource one. Since the Mono/.Net PE packages support integrating additional objects, such as icon, we could included it with the exe and make a small routine for it to extract it to the directory for people making shortcuts to the program.

It might be a good idea for it to also autocreate shortcuts and add them to application menus for the detected OS. (Win32/Win64, Linux and compatibles, OS X.)

I know this is a silly minute request, but I realized we have no special icon for CKAN.

Maybe we should crowdsource one. Since the Mono/.Net PE packages support integrating additional objects, such as icon, we could included it with the exe and make a small routine for it to extract it to the directory for people making shortcuts to the program.

It might be a good idea for it to also autocreate shortcuts and add them to application menus for the detected OS. (Win32/Win64, Linux and compatibles, OS X.)

What OS you use ? I'm not sure about linux or MAC, but on windows there is icon in exe file. It might be changed to something else, it is metter of personal taste, but for me icon is shown as CKAN red letters with underline and vertical line that is in front of "C". It looks good enough for me.

Just to let you know, I had a issue where I was not getting heating effects from re entry and discovered that it was being caused by a bug in 1.0.4 where if you call the program via a link it does not load the correct physics.cfg. I had this problem whenever I launched KSP from CKAN or Jebretary also.

Launching the .exe directly resolved this issue in case anyone else is suffering the same issue.

uhm... I selected a few mods.. clicked install.. gave me 2 errors... wanted to report.. had to do that in github so decide I'll just play without those mods.. now nothing is installed.. how does that work? doesn't seem to remember which mods I had selected either

I have a quick question-- Is there currently any policy or methodology around save-breaking (non-backward-compatible) mod updates? I'm planning such an update for Fuel Tanks Plus, and I'm concerned about people blindly updating to it and having vessels deleted. I'll probably time the update with the KSP 1.1 release, since a lot of people will start new saves anyway, but clearly not everyone.

One idea (an ugly one), would be to release it as a "new" mod, and leave the old one to languish without updates, to eventually de-list from CKAN. I'm not sure I like this solution though.

Just to let you know, I had a issue where I was not getting heating effects from re entry and discovered that it was being caused by a bug in 1.0.4 where if you call the program via a link it does not load the correct physics.cfg. I had this problem whenever I launched KSP from CKAN or Jebretary also.

Launching the .exe directly resolved this issue in case anyone else is suffering the same issue.

In CKAN, what are the KSP command-line arguments? You can find it under Settings menu

- - - Updated - - -

To the CKAN authors, the web site: http://ksp-ckan.org/ seems to be down.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Just a little thing; this thing doesn't work on my Macbook Air.

​(Aww, I wanted to play Realism Overhaul!)

EDIT: I just read the installation instructions, and they are way too complicated (for Mac.) Sorry, but I'm out for now.

(MAKE IT EASIERcaps!)

Edited by RAINCRAFTER

uhm... I selected a few mods.. clicked install.. gave me 2 errors... wanted to report.. had to do that in github so decide I'll just play without those mods.. now nothing is installed.. how does that work? doesn't seem to remember which mods I had selected either

You had errors, so CKAN didn't install the mods. Mod selection boxes aren't saved when you close CKAN, it'll only record mods you've installed.

I have a quick question-- Is there currently any policy or methodology around save-breaking (non-backward-compatible) mod updates? I'm planning such an update for Fuel Tanks Plus, and I'm concerned about people blindly updating to it and having vessels deleted. I'll probably time the update with the KSP 1.1 release, since a lot of people will start new saves anyway, but clearly not everyone.

One idea (an ugly one), would be to release it as a "new" mod, and leave the old one to languish without updates, to eventually de-list from CKAN. I'm not sure I like this solution though.

Marking a mod upgrade as save-breaking has been in the queue since October of last year. Nobody has really stepped up to get it done though, likely because it's a rare occurrence, and because it's especially hard for bots to detect. So currently there's no set policy but rather dealing with it case-by-case. With that said, whenever you're ready to release, just open up an issue and we'll see what the best approach is at that time.

To the CKAN authors, the web site: http://ksp-ckan.org/ seems to be down.

That server is down with no ETA on its return. The next version of CKAN will take steps to work around server losses better.

I just read the installation instructions, and they are way too complicated (for Mac.) Sorry, but I'm out for now.

(MAKE IT EASIERcaps!)

Noted.

Update, right now, CKAN.exe can't seem to connect to the repository.

GitHub itself was having problems yesterday/last night. It's not an issue that was expected and we currently have no workaround.

Would it break anything to make the CKAN\downloads folder for multiple installs into shortcuts pointing to a single download folder?

I do something like that, I use symlinks to keep all the cached downloads off my SSD. You can experiment with it with no risk: tick a mod to install, if it downloads and installs you're set. If it doesn't then it won't have any effect on your CKAN configuration, nor your installed mods.

I can't seem to install any mods using this. There's no error, the program just sorta sits there doing nothing.

Detailed Explanation:

I've installed it correctly - I've checked and double-checked, I followed the install directions for Linux fully. It runs, connects to the repository, everything. However, if I select a couple of mods and hit 'apply changes' it switches to the "Installing Mods" tab and says "about to install". Forever. The progress bar doesn't fill up, just a little blue bar moving from left to right. I've found if I go through and download each mod one-by-one on the mod selection page, then it lets me install them from cache. But CKAN refuses to install a mod that it also needs to download - it just hangs indefinitely.

I tested this with Blizzy's toolbar - a very small mod which should download in seconds on my internet connection. It's still on "About to Install" after ages.

Anybody know what's up? For reference: Running Linux Mint 17.1. I'm a linux newbie, having installed it for KSP alone, so please bear that in mind for technical solutions :P

Marking a mod upgrade as save-breaking has been in the queue since October of last year. Nobody has really stepped up to get it done though, likely because it's a rare occurrence, and because it's especially hard for bots to detect. So currently there's no set policy but rather dealing with it case-by-case. With that said, whenever you're ready to release, just open up an issue and we'll see what the best approach is at that time.

OK, for the interim, I think I also have a solution to make it non-breaking, until I completely remove the deprecated parts. I'll have to get some dependencies added to the mod first in any case. I'll open an issue on github for that.

I found a slight bug by launching it from the terminal.

CKAN.EXE seems to spam this error to stdout 15 times on closing:

exception inside UnhandledException handler: Cannot call Invoke or BeginInvoke on a control until the window handle is created

If it is relevant, I'm using the version of Mono that ships with Ubuntu 14.04. I can get specific version info (and a link to the info on the exact patch set) if you want me to.