The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

On 3/12/2015 4:08:03, Dafni said:

Any chance CKAN will add that allegedly updated MechJeb again?? Or am I missing something on the MJ front?

Or what about KER?? Would be nice to get dV and TWR numbers again, I´m in the dark since 1.0.5

I never installed any mods outside of CKAN and would like to keep it that way, afraid I screw up my files otherwise.

Thanks for reading

Daf

Give it time. MechJeb for 1.0.5 was only released two days ago, and CKAN now lists it. KER still hasn't been updated, and is at least partially broken in 1.0.5 (No dV stats for jet engines, for instance).

On 5/12/2015 10:45:44, NathanKell said:

ModuleRCSFX is indeed obsolete (and broken) in 1.0.5.

Setting it to strict versioning is awaiting the next CKAN version. I'm hoping that's not far off.

EDIT: Ah, the older versions need to be fixed to prevent them showing as compatible. Changes submitted.

EDIT2: ModuleRCSFX is no longer appearing for KSP 1.0.5.

Edited by politas
progress

I'm using ckan under ubuntu with mono. When I click on the Launch KSP button this shows up in the terminal:

xdg-open: unexpected option '-single-instance'
Try 'xdg-open --help' for more information.

Also, when I try to download the mod "Toolbar" I get this error:

Failed to download "http://blizzy.de/toolbar/Toolbar-1.7.10.zip" - error: SslCaCert

I managed to download the toolbar mod and installed manually, but not being able to start the game from ckan is annoying. Any assistance will be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Dragonator said:

I'm using ckan under ubuntu with mono. When I click on the Launch KSP button this shows up in the terminal:

xdg-open: unexpected option '-single-instance'
Try 'xdg-open --help' for more information.

Failed to download "http://blizzy.de/toolbar/Toolbar-1.7.10.zip" - error: SslCaCert

I managed to download the toolbar mod and installed manually, but not being able to start the game from ckan is annoying. Any assistance will be appreciated.

For not being able to launch KSP from CKAN under Linux, see this issue

For the other, have you run mozroots --import --ask-remove like the release notes say?

I'm trying to install the pre-release of the 'Trajectories' mod, through the metadata repositories in CKAN. It seems that it is mistakenly linked to the SCANsat pre-release file, as also seen at the end of this page. Is there any way to fix that? Changing the link as Trajectories-pre.tar.gz does not work atm.

It would be really nice to have a "Clean up GameData folder" function. When uninstalling mods CKAN often leaves empty folders in GameData, which can cause weird behavior since most ModuleManager configs look for mod folders for dependencies. Sorry if it's been asked before, there are 88 pages in this thread and didn't want to read through all of them...

On 12/7/2015, 1:37:20, Dragonator said:

On 12/7/2015, 7:43:55, politas said:

For the other, have you run mozroots --import --ask-remove like the release notes say?

I had this exact problem in Arch linux.  mozroots didn't work, with or without sudo.

ckan (libcurl) was looking for certs in /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt.

https://blizzy.de is using Let's Encrypt certificates, which were not in the open ssl trust store for the system.  The following will fail if this is the problem:

curl -I https://blizzy.de

Once I fixed the above, ckan started working.

The fix in arch, based on this document

• Download (do not install into the browser) the Let's Encrypt root and X1 intermediate certs from here: https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/
  • Copy both files to /etc/ca-certificates/trust-source/anchors/ and rename them .crt
  • run: sudo trust extract-compat

On 09/12/2015, 04:48:14, engin said:

I'm trying to install the pre-release of the 'Trajectories' mod, through the metadata repositories in CKAN. It seems that it is mistakenly linked to the SCANsat pre-release file, as also seen at the end of this page. Is there any way to fix that? Changing the link as Trajectories-pre.tar.gz does not work atm.

Which metadata repositories are you referring to? The main CKAN repository doesn't include pre-releases, so whoever maintains the repository you're using would have to fix it. 

EDIT:  Ah, I see what you're referring to. Sorry. Well spotted. Patch submitted.

EDIT2: Not sure that any of those repositories are actually functional, though.

Edited by politas
Had time for a deeper look

On 8/12/2015 9:44:55, Phineas Freak said:

Mod update request: the original Hangar Extender from Snjo is now maintained by @Alewx. Is it possible to update the NETKAN config to point to his GitHub repository?

Hmm. It already was, but clearly not successfully. Working on it.

On 7/12/2015 5:01:19, KerbalsForDummies said:

*insert meme face here*I have a backup version of KSP on a second computer,  and CKAN does not work, I just wanted to install RSS soo badly.. :( 

Have you tried turning it off and on again? 

Seriously though, we need more information. What OS are you on, have you followed all the instructions in the release notes, what error messages do you get when trying to run from the console?

10 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

It would be really nice to have a "Clean up GameData folder" function. When uninstalling mods CKAN often leaves empty folders in GameData, which can cause weird behavior since most ModuleManager configs look for mod folders for dependencies. Sorry if it's been asked before, there are 88 pages in this thread and didn't want to read through all of them...

As a modder, I would be highly thankful if this behavior gets cleaned up. :D A lot of the time when people complain about things not working in my packs, it's because something wasn't installed correctly, or not removed correctly. I haven't asked whether they've used CKAN or not in most cases, but still, anything that can be done to reduce this is always a good thing, IMHO. :wink:

2 hours ago, NecroBones said:

As a modder, I would be highly thankful if this behavior gets cleaned up. :D A lot of the time when people complain about things not working in my packs, it's because something wasn't installed correctly, or not removed correctly. I haven't asked whether they've used CKAN or not in most cases, but still, anything that can be done to reduce this is always a good thing, IMHO. :wink:

This is a complex issue that is being debated. 

I've recently been having issues with ckan casuing a lot of errors, including restarting my computer and BSODs. I'm not sure exactly what sets it off but it seems that everything is working perfectly fine and all of a sudden my computer will restart with no error messages. At that point ckan is broken and constantly throws up errors or in a few cases BSOD. I have to delete the entire CKAN folder to fix it. 

Is there a log somewhere that might help me run down the problem? I'm running Windows 10 64bit.

On 12/9/2015, 3:43:29, PickledTripod said:

22 hours ago, NecroBones said:

it is a known issue.

19 hours ago, politas said:

This is a complex issue that is being debated. 

This is indeed seriously complex. See #700

I am guessing that we need to come back to this after CKAN version 16 is out. Right now I am totally against altering the game data folder like this. However I am also painfully aware how much the issue affects the community as a whole. Really the choice to not clean up the Gamedata folder through CKAN is the lesser of two evils.

With a bit good user discipline the whole problem can be avoided. Although it is not strictly true. A good practice right now is to assume that CKAN cannot do a clean removal of a mod. For steam users if there is automatic version change it can break things badly. There is also a few mods that drop config files which CKAN quite rightly does not want to clear up. 

A cleaner way to use CKAN is to export the mod list. Then delete the whole game directory and reinstall. You can keep the save game files if you want. Then use the saved CKAN list to put all mods back on. This sounds like a very draconian approach but it makes sure that any extra config files and folders are cleaned out. 

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

On 12/4/2015, 5:56:50, Revenant503 said:

Weird thing a few packages like ModuleRCSFix

running CKAN on a 1.0.5 system, I can still see the ModuleRCSFix package visible and showing a max KSP ver of 1.0.4.

Also for that particular one, I remember seeing a reddit comment from NathanKell that that wasn't required in 1.0.5 (and the release thread now says "obsolete in 1.0.5)

If your recording max KSP versions why is ckan showing packages out of version?

Also...I'd love a better filter mechanism in future :) ckan for 1.0.5 is currently 8% single aircraft releases if you count packages for example, which is useful for some but kinda noisy for others.

It is side affect of the reversed compatibility policy. To cut a long story short it now better to assume 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 compatibility. The vast majority of mods are compatible. In the past we did the opposite and it caused chaos when KSP started to become more stable. 

The down side is any mod that should not be there like ModuleRCSFix needs a pull request to ask for strict version control. With that enabled it will be assumed to not be compatible with 1.0.5 and will nor appear on the list. This has been done for ModuleRCSFix. I am sure we would all be very grateful if any more like this are spotted by the community. 

As far as a filter mechanism goes. I agree this is a very good idea. I do suggest we wait out for a while before asking for this to be implemented. There is a bigger change that needs finished off first.

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

A quick a possibly silly question for CKAN community. Does Environmental Visual Enhancement with High Resolution Textures still install and work correctly in KSP 1.0.4 when installed via CKAN?

Having problems getting it to work in a 1.0.4 build. I am looking at some "exotic" version numbering system by CKAN standards. Has the CKAN bot got lost again tying to figure them out?  

2 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

it is a known issue.

This is indeed seriously complex. See #700

I am guessing that we need to come back to this after CKAN version 16 is out. Right now I am totally against altering the game data folder like this. However I am also painfully aware how much the issue affects the community as a whole. Really the choice to not clean up the Gamedata folder through CKAN is the lesser of two evils.

With a bit good user discipline the whole problem can be avoided. Although it is not strictly true. A good practice right now is to assume that CKAN cannot do a clean removal of a mod. For steam users if there is automatic version change it can break things badly. There is also a few mods that drop config files which CKAN quite rightly does not want to clear up. 

A cleaner way to use CKAN is to export the mod list. Then delete the whole game directory and reinstall. You can keep the save game files if you want. Then use the saved CKAN list to put all mods back on. This sounds like a very draconian approach but it makes sure that any extra config files and folders are cleaned out. 

Well that's probably the solution right there. Maintain the current behavior by default, but have a button (and command-line parameter) to "rebuild" the GameData folder. It can come with all of the warnings about losing custom data, and so on, but gives the user the option of having everything cleaned up and all of the mods re-installed cleanly.

EDIT: Something else that the CKAN client should probably do is delete the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file in GameData, whenever any changes are made (if it doesn't already). In my testing folder, I've noticed that MM doesn't always catch changes in the mod list on the first run by itself.

Edited by NecroBones

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

Well that's probably the solution right there. Maintain the current behavior by default, but have a button (and command-line parameter) to "rebuild" the GameData folder. It can come with all of the warnings about losing custom data, and so on, but gives the user the option of having everything cleaned up and all of the mods re-installed cleanly.

EDIT: Something else that the CKAN client should probably do is delete the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file in GameData, whenever any changes are made (if it doesn't already). In my testing folder, I've noticed that MM doesn't always catch changes in the mod list on the first run by itself.

Ok I see where your going. On the whole I full agree. I like the concept but still feel it is too big a huge can of worms to open at this stage. 

Later on I am kind of leaning towards suggesting that we take a backup of the Gamedata at suitable points and use that to "rebuild". So any manual mods, developer builds or exotic parts pruning are restored intact. With the added option for a user to control back up frequency and storage space.

This also has the added benefit of preserving backward compatibility for that group of mods we have on version strict or those with sloppy version numbering systems that drive the CKAN update bot nuts.   

Right now I see the need to see more documentation. There are very few mods that require this level of support. Any mod that comes through CKAN that changes the Gamedata folder beyond the ability of the current uninstall behaviour should be clearly marked. If users understand what is going on in the gamedata folder they can make an informed choice about what mod to use and accept the consequences of their actions. My current advice is always go for clean installs when ever possible even if you don't use CKAN. Once people get into using mods that overwrite other mods and config files it gets messy quickly. Users should understand what they are getting themselves into.

So got to the bottom of my last CKAN error I think :lol:

5 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

A quick a possibly silly question for CKAN community. Does Environmental Visual Enhancement with High Resolution Textures still install and work correctly in KSP 1.0.4 when installed via CKAN?

Having problems getting it to work in a 1.0.4 build. I am looking at some "exotic" version numbering system by CKAN standards. Has the CKAN bot got lost again tying to figure them out?  

51 minutes ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

That version number is not listed on CKAN. Do not mean version EVE version number 7-4?

What I am seeing in the CKAN file search is.

Running KSP 1.0.4

EVE version number is 7-4

With low resolution config version number also 7-4 installed it works.

High resolution file is listed as EVE-1.05-1 installed is does not work. This in my problem right here. Can't get high resolution in 1.0.4 at all. 

When running with KSP 1.0.5

EVE version is now 1:EVE-1.05-4 and there is only one config file also marked 1:EVE-1.05-4

I am think the character string version numbers are messing up the CKAN bot. Any advice? 

45 minutes ago, Speadge said:

install it manually

Edited by nobodyhasthis2