The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

11 hours ago, Yemo said:

Is there a new reference for spacedock.info yet?

eg something like

"$kref" : "#/ckan/spacedock/20",

There is now, and it's exactly what you've written! Olympic1 massaged the code to work today, and I merged the changes this afternoon. There'll also be a client release soon that will handle a little bit of extra "Spacedock" metadata, but the existing clients should work fine with the new files we're producing now.

On 2/15/2016 at 8:37 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Forget kerbalstuff 2.0.  By the time someone gets a decent site running, all the mods will be on Curse or Github

Maybe KerbalStuff 2.0 can support linking to other sites, such as GitHub for download of larger mods, and set up a mirror network system for smaller mods.  (A mirror network system is the most effective option given the state of the Internet and the expense of monolithic web sites.)  If people could donate download bandwidth from their small personal servers by making a KerbalStuff download mirror, it could help, especially if a system is installed to allow download mirror owners to control how much their mirror is used.

It's too bad Kerbal mods evolve so quickly, because that keeps P2P options like Torrent from being a practical solution.  The average mod release has a life span of less than a month, reducing the gain provided by torrents.

6 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

Maybe KerbalStuff 2.0 can support linking to other sites, such as GitHub for download of larger mods, and set up a mirror network system for smaller mods.  (A mirror network system is the most effective option given the state of the Internet and the expense of monolithic web sites.)  If people could donate download bandwidth from their small personal servers by making a KerbalStuff download mirror, it could help, especially if a system is installed to allow download mirror owners to control how much their mirror is used.

It's too bad Kerbal mods evolve so quickly, because that keeps P2P options like Torrent from being a practical solution.  The average mod release has a life span of less than a month, reducing the gain provided by torrents.

Well, givin that spacedock.info is now up, the question is rather moot.  

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, givin that spacedock.info is now up, the question is rather moot.  

Yes and no. Discussions are still taking place about whether to add mirrors for the actual mod downloads, or use a CDN, or whatever else. There's a lot that can be done to alleviate network congestion on the website. But it's all still up in the air at the moment.

42 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Yes and no. Discussions are still taking place about whether to add mirrors for the actual mod downloads, or use a CDN, or whatever else. There's a lot that can be done to alleviate network congestion on the website. But it's all still up in the air at the moment.

As someone who has run 2 gaming websites if he doesn't want to fork out the money for a hefty dedicated box than he needs to find mirrors. That or we just use curse, it's really not that bad and they have the hardware to handle the load.

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

I would think that having multiple options for download when using CKAN (for example links for GitHub, Curse and Spacedock etc) would be a good idea. Then whichever is up and whichever has the most current version of a mod would be the one used.

This could be native to CKAN or on the hosting site also.

EDIT : So I`m having an issue with CKAN. It is throwing a kraken where it says planetshine is incompatible with ambient light adjustment. I can`t uninstall planetshine from within CKAN due to the kraken error, I have manually deleted planetshine and still I get the kraken. I`ve tried to remove the reference to planetshine+cfg in `installed-default.ckan` but CKAN keeps putting it back and so I still get the kraken. I must be missing something obvious.

Anyone know how I stop the error? What I would like is for CKAN to see I have deleted planetshine without having to reinstall all my mods.

Edited by John FX

I am trying to use CKAN to install realism overhaul and the required mods, however I have run into a slight problem. It downloads all the required mods except for FAR due to it being from Kerbalstuff and because I cant download FAR CKAN wont install the rest of the mods. Is there a way to bypass this and force CKAN to install all the required mods except for FAR, which I could install manually?

6 hours ago, John FX said:

EDIT : So I`m having an issue with CKAN. It is throwing a kraken where it says planetshine is incompatible with ambient light adjustment. I can`t uninstall planetshine from within CKAN due to the kraken error, I have manually deleted planetshine and still I get the kraken. I`ve tried to remove the reference to planetshine+cfg in `installed-default.ckan` but CKAN keeps putting it back and so I still get the kraken. I must be missing something obvious.

Anyone know how I stop the error? What I would like is for CKAN to see I have deleted planetshine without having to reinstall all my mods.

For what it's worth: I had the exact same issue. Graphics errors in the skybox. CKAN showed an incompability between PS and ALA, but only Planetside always threw an error message when I tried to uninstall. The Mod still showed up in CKAN after I manually deleted the folder, and any click on "uninstall" crashed CKAN. And since I could hence not get rid of the graphic errors in the skybox, I did a fresh install of KSP and skipped the (still very nice) Ambient Light Adjustment Mod. Everything fine ever since.

However nice CKAN is for convenience (and I appreciate it very much in this regard, running ~50 Mods peacefully in perfect harmony currently), I got a vague feeling that a complete reinstall would perhaps not have been necessary had I gone without CKAN (but perhaps those two Mods would have corrupted my game on their own even without CKAN, so who knows...)

@jonnyt21 I just checked and CKAN now looks at Github for FAR so it can be installed normally now.  But if you already installed manually then it might be complicated to switch - I think you might need to uninstall RO, then remove FAR, then reinstall - in my experience CKAN tends to blow up when a dependency for something already installed just disappears, but I don't know for sure.  One of the CKAN devs might be able to give more info on this.

Say, I was wondering, I direct the source of the download now to GitHub, but I'm where it exactly get'sCKAN  the data from because all my releases contain several files. So how does CKAN know where to get  plugin?

Edited by FreeThinker

So, I'm getting an error when updating my netkans

Here is an original (from kerbalstuff days):

{
    "spec_version"   : "v1.4",
    "identifier"     : "AutomatedScreenshots",
    "$kref"          : "#/ckan/kerbalstuff/1086",
    "$vref"          : "#/ckan/ksp-avc",
    "license"        : "GPL-3.0",
    "resources" : {
        "homepage"    : "http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129908",
 "kerbalstuff" : "https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1086/Automated%20Screenshots%20and%20Saves",
        "repository"  : "https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/AutomatedScreenshots"
    },
    "install" : [
        {
            "find"       : "AutomatedScreenshots",
            "install_to" : "GameData"
        }
    ]
}

and here is the updated one:

{
    "spec_version"   : "v1.4",
    "identifier"     : "AutomatedScreenshots",
    "$kref"          : "#/ckan/spacedock/43",
    "$vref"          : "#/ckan/ksp-avc",
    "license"        : "GPL-3.0",
    "resources" : {
        "homepage"    : "http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129908",
        "spacedock"   : "http://spacedock.info/mod/43/Automated%20Screenshots%20%26%20Saves",
        "repository"  : "https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/AutomatedScreenshots"
    },
    "install" : [
        {
            "find"       : "AutomatedScreenshots",
            "install_to" : "GameData"
        }
    ]
}

it's throwing the following error during the build:

Fetching latest ckan.exe
268 [1] WARN CKAN.KSPManager (null) - 7f34b7dadea974cc5375c68adcf188057d88bd32 at /home/jenkins/workspace/PR builder - NetKAN metadata/NetKAN/dummy_ksp is not a vaild install
286 [1] WARN CKAN.KSPManager (null) - Auto-start instance was invalid: Exception of type 'CKAN.InvalidKSPInstanceKraken' was thrown.
v1.16.0-45-g2c959b8 (beta)
Fetching latest netkan.exe
v1.16.0-45-g2c959b8 (beta)
Fetching latest metadata
Running NetKAN for NetKAN/AutomatedScreenshots.netkan
116 [1] WARN CKAN.KSPManager (null) - 7f34b7dadea974cc5375c68adcf188057d88bd32 at /home/jenkins/workspace/PR builder - NetKAN metadata/NetKAN/dummy_ksp is not a vaild install
Running NetKAN for NetKAN/BetterScienceLabsContinued.netkan
109 [1] WARN CKAN.KSPManager (null) - 7f34b7dadea974cc5375c68adcf188057d88bd32 at /home/jenkins/workspace/PR builder - NetKAN metadata/NetKAN/dummy_ksp is not a vaild install
382 [1] WARN CKAN.Curl (null) - Curl environment not pre-initialised, performing non-threadsafe init.
775 [1] FATAL CKAN.NetKAN.Program (null) - Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.
Build step 'Execute shell' marked build as failure
Setting commit status on GitHub for https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/commit/0f28df59ab4f12362d653aaa7a5f12705c471240
[BFA] Scanning build for known causes...
[BFA] No failure causes found
[BFA] Done. 0s
Setting status of 8f01784c8ea1c23b3bff2307bfc5405e6feba1a0 to FAILURE with url http://ci.ksp-ckan.org/job/NetKAN/1924/ and message: 'Build finished. No test results found.'
Finished: FAILURE

I don't see anything wrong, i simply replaced the kerbalstuff info with the spacedock info.

The github merge is:  Updates for spacedock.info #3160

Thanks in advance

It's still trying to grab something from kerbalstuff for me. I've seen several people mention editing some config file or another, but whatever they're referencing, I can't find that file. The mod in question (contract window +) even has a github link right in its description on the sidebar.

I've found an odd quirk/bug with CKAN that I'm not sure is intentional or not. I was manually installing a few mods that have yet to update their DL locations after Kerbalstuff's shutdown, but after installing them CKAN suddenly stopped recognizing my modded KSP folder as a valid install. After a little bit of testing, I figured out that overwriting the readme.txt in the main folder was the cause, and that restoring the original readme.txt fixed it.

5 minutes ago, shibdib said:

Still getting ALOT of mods that go to kerbalstuff

My understanding is that it's up to the mod authors to fix that...  Depending on how busy they are IRL, I'd expect some mods to take up to a week (or more) to update.

1 hour ago, Immersive said:

My understanding is that it's up to the mod authors to fix that...  Depending on how busy they are IRL, I'd expect some mods to take up to a week (or more) to update.

is it not possible to release a ckan build that filter kerbalstuff links?

3 hours ago, shibdib said:

is it not possible to release a ckan build that filter kerbalstuff links?

Personally, I'd add a failover system to CKAN that would allow for multiple source links per mod and when one doesn't work, try the next.  I believe the metadata file already supports this but the software doesn't seem to.  Actively pre-filtering specific domains actually requires a fair amount of micro-management on the part of the (CKAN's) developer.

Edited by Immersive