The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

It is too early to bug the CKAN team over missing mods after the demise of KS

18 hours ago, shibdib said:

Still getting ALOT of mods that go to kerbalstuff

18 hours ago, Immersive said:

My understanding is that it's up to the mod authors to fix that...  Depending on how busy they are IRL, I'd expect some mods to take up to a week (or more) to update.

Absolutely correct. There is mods that did not get moved across to SD for very good reasons. Now some of them have no hosting at all or have a mirror that CKAN does not know about yet. It is really up to the affected mod owners to pick a new primary hosting site and pass on that information. It is also helpful if they take charge of the metadata but not essential. 

It must also be point out that a lot of mod authors are still against supporting CKAN and will not help at all. Mainly down to silly misunderstandings.

16 hours ago, shibdib said:

is it not possible to release a ckan build that filter kerbalstuff links?

There is no need just yet but a little client tweak is coming. That is not to say that some code needs to be refactored to add SD support but it will not be client side as I understand it from @pjf comments.

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

Until the mod authors update things themselves you effectively have x number of "dead" mods on ckan that throw errors every time you try to download them. This is why I think filtering out broken links needs to be something the client handles better.

Gotta figure a good chunk of the defunct mods are going to take months for the author to fix as they have slipped away from the game.

Edited by shibdib

Hi, I keep getting this error when I try to load the exe 

349 [1] ERROR CKAN.ErrorDialog (null) - Unhandled exception:
CKAN.Kraken: Error trying to parse "c:/program files (x86)/steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program\CKAN/GUIConfig.xml": Root element is missing.. Try to move it out of the folder and restart CKAN.
   at CKAN.Configuration.LoadConfiguration(String path)
   at CKAN.Configuration.LoadOrCreateConfiguration(String path, String defaultRepo)
   at CKAN.Main..ctor(String[] cmdlineArgs, GUIUser User, Boolean showConsole)
   at CKAN.GUI.Main_(String[] args, Boolean showConsole)
   at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Gui(GuiOptions options, String[] args)
   at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Main(String[] args)

I think there is a config file missing in my game files but when I downloaded it all it came with was the exe. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have already reinstalled the exe, not ksp that would take 5 hours with media com 

Edited by UV Radiation

There are a lot of CKAN meta data files for older versions of mods, all still referencing KerbalStuff. It sounds like the plan is to make a translation layer or something to convert those to point to a different mirror of the historical data? Have any of these mirrors been set up yet? Part of the reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to decide if I want to provide a mirror, which would require a plan upgrade on my hosting. (I believe SpacePort is using a CDN now, and so mirrors will no longer be needed there, but I haven't heard anything about what's going to be needed on the CKAN side, in terms of historical copies of the mods, etc).

4 hours ago, NecroBones said:

There are a lot of CKAN meta data files for older versions of mods, all still referencing KerbalStuff. It sounds like the plan is to make a translation layer or something to convert those to point to a different mirror of the historical data? Have any of these mirrors been set up yet? Part of the reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to decide if I want to provide a mirror, which would require a plan upgrade on my hosting. (I believe SpacePort is using a CDN now, and so mirrors will no longer be needed there, but I haven't heard anything about what's going to be needed on the CKAN side, in terms of historical copies of the mods, etc).

@NecroBonesplease read the following but with a pinch of salt. For a more professional and technical answer. See #1586

Historically the available CKAN files go back to november. However not everything can be used due to licensing issues. That is also why the backup files that got posted shortly after KS when down got removed by @VITAS. In terms of setting up a CKAN mirror. Ironically there has always been a plan to do this. It just never been important until now  See #935

In terms of helping with SD. Your are already in the right place with the number one issue  :cool:

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

3 hours ago, UV Radiation said:

Never mind, I deleted the ckan files in my ksp folder and it works now 

but it sill cant get kerbalstuff mods :/ 

Of all the...!

I just tried this, and it fixed the problem that I have been having since December with CKAN not starting up!

Thing is, I thought that I had tried a totally clean install of KSP and CKAN in a new folder and it had not worked either.  

Oh well.  At least it is working now.  Not that it will do me much good with the current situation.

Whenever you make clean KSP install, make sure that you run stock game at least once and configure your settings.

That will ensure that you have all config files in KSP folder that CKAN need to properly read KSP version and other stuff. Otherwise you may found that CKAN does not work properly for no obvious reason.

8 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

@NecroBonesplease read the following but with a pinch of salt. For a more professional and technical answer. See #1586

Historically the available CKAN files go back to november. However not everything can be used due to licensing issues. That is also why the backup files that got posted shortly after KS when down got removed by @VITAS. In terms of setting up a CKAN mirror. Ironically there has always been a plan to do this. It just never been important until now  See #935

In terms of helping with SD. Your are already in the right place with the number one issue  :cool:

OK great. I've been trying to volunteer a little on the SpaceDock side, but hadn't been following the CKAN git issues.

9 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

It is also worth mentioning that it is being worked on by a whole lot of wonderful people. In the mean time this makes me laugh @pjf . Even when not working on CKAN you are a force for good in this world :lol:

30d13ab4-d43a-11e5-80e8-2232d9c65fba.jpg

Except if it's REALLY super it should have a "#" prompt! :D

1 hour ago, aaronburro said:

Is there something special I have to do to make CKAN stop considering a mod as AutoDetected? I've deleted the entire mod folder in GameData, and CKAN still says it's AutoDetected. Is this stuff stored in the registry?

I was actually just going to ask this question. But all I had to do was remove that one mod from the folder, wait 5-10 mins, then refresh the mod list a couple of times and that seemed to work.

17 hours ago, ezequielandrush said:

Oh yeah!

Is there any way to manually download mods and then install them via CKAN? I guess It's better than installing everything manually.

I wanted to ask the same thing, since some mods can also be downloaded from other sites.

The best thing would be if CKAN would open a promt to manualy select the file on the Hard drive in case of a download error. It would be still better than just crashing.

(Sry, my bad english)

KerbalStuff Recovery Update

Hey everyone! Thank you all so much for your patience with me travelling! I'm writing this from a bus between New York and Boston, which conveniently has both free Wi-Fi and power. I'm very glad to say that I've finished my second round of recovery efforts by using my su-perl-powers. : )

I've managed to identity about 2,100 CKAN .meta files which were pointing to KerbalStuff, and which had licenses which permit redistribution. For all of these files, I've updated them to point to a mirror site maintained courtesy of @VITAS . Because of the huge numbers of files involved, I haven't been able to check that they all exist at the destination site; in fact, I expect that some of the older files (for 0.25, 0.90, and the like) are probably absent. You can see the pull request if you're curious of details.

This still represents about 80% of the convertable material which exists, which means a lot of mods that were previously broken should now be less broken. For mods which aren't on VITAS' mirror, and for mods which don't come with a license to redistribute, we can still expect problems, and they'll probably have to be examined on a case-by-case basis.

These changes should be considered both experimental and temporary. VITAS won't be running the mirror forever, and my code makes assumptions about the way in which KerbalStuff was storing files which may not be correct, even if they worked for all the mods I tested them with. However these changes shouldn't make things any worse.

Thank you all again for your patience while I've been on the road, and especially my new and existing Patreon supporters. You are all amazing!

~ Paul

Edited by pjf
fix tpyo

1 hour ago, pjf said:

KerbalStuff Recovery Update

Hey everyone! Thank you all so much for your patience with me travelling! I'm writing this from a bus between New York and Boston, which conveniently has both free Wi-Fi and power. I'm very glad to say that I've finished my second round of recovery efforts by using my su-perl-powers. : )

I am a sysadmin too and I must say I really appreciate your efforts in fixing this. All of you.
I guess it's not a simple task deal with this kind of problems, much more when you do it for free.

Thanks again.

Zeke

Got a question...

I installed a few mods manually because CKAN was presumably stuck with the old KerbalStuff link. If those mods are now working, and I check the box to have CKAN handle them, will it have any trouble? Should I delete the folder from the manual install before activating it with CKAN, or will CKAN be able to pick right up where I am and take over with updates?