The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

plasma-window-640px

Changes since v1.16.0:

Bugfixes

• [GUI] The "Not Installed" filter now has a more correct label. (#1573 by: plague006; reviewed: Postremus)
  • [GUI] Scrolling of the mod-list no longer requires clicking on the list after start-up. (#1584 by: ChucklesTheBeard; reviewed: Olympic1)
  • [GUI] The GUI now displays repo information as "Source Code" rather than "Github". (#1627 by: politas; reviewed: pjf)

Features

• [GUI] The export menu now selects "favourites" as default, as that's almost always what people want. (#1609 by: plague006; reviewed: pjf)
  • [Core/NetKAN] CKAN will now also work for mods that are hosted on SpaceDock. Use the new $kref "spacedock". (#1593 by: Olympic1, Zane6888; reviewed: pjf)
  • [Core] CKAN has now an improved version sorting. (#1554 by: distantcam; reviewed: Olympic1)

Internal

• [General] General code tidy-up. (#1582, #1602 by: ChucklesTheBeard; reviewed: plague006, Olympic1)
  • [GUI] Avoidance of a future bug involving how we query users regarding choices. (#1538 by: pjf, RichardLake; reviewed: Postremus)
  • [GUI] Fixed mispellings in the word "directory". (#1624 by: tonygambone; reviewed: pjf)
  • [Spec] Updated Spec with newer netkan.exe features. (#1581 by: dbent; reviewed: Dazpoet)
  • [NetKAN] netkan.exe now has support for downloading GitHub sources of a release. (#1587 by: dbent; reviewed: Olympic1)
  • [NetKAN] netkan.exe checks for malformed url's and prevents them from being added to the metadata. (#1580 by: dbent; reviewed: Olympic1)
  • [NetKAN] netkan.exe will now add all authors listed on SpaceDock (#1600,#1620 by: dbent; reviewed: techman83)
  • [Core] Spelling mistake in documentation fixed (#1623 by: Dazpoet; reviewed: pjf)
  • [Reporting] Creation of an issues template to help with bug reporting. (#1596 and #1598 by plague006, Shuudoushi; reviewed: Dazpoet, Olympic1)

Notes

• Windows users must have .NET 4.5 installed.
  • Linux users, please oh please apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev (Debian/Ubuntu/Mint) or yum install libcurl-devel (RedHat/Fedora) if you have not already done so.
  • Mac/Linux/Mono users: please mozroots --import --ask-remove if you're a new user, to update mono's certificate store.

Release image courtesy Ben-Liang, Shi, Huang Sheng, Zhu Kun, and Lu Yuan-Rong. “Experimental Study of the Plasma Window.” Chinese Physics C 38, no. 1 (2014): 018201.

2 hours ago, pjf said:

Oh drat. That's a bug. I've opened an issue for us to track it. But with that aside, you're now able to use CKAN with your preferred install?

Yes, thanks! I mean it would be nice if there was a better directory chooser dialogue, but I'm guessing this is Mono's fault not yours. Now that I know which file I can edit manually, it's all fine by me.

Regarding the order in which CKAN looks for KSP installs, imo that's a matter of personal taste. If you said that steam-first-currentdir-second was intended behaviour, I would accept that, too.

10 hours ago, SmarterThanMe said:

Uhh... Hi. :)

Any chance that updating CKAN now that I've moved over to Spacedock is going to be as easy as asking one of you guys to copy and paste something? :)

@politas? :D

Pretty much. :-)

You've added your FF Ribbon packs to Spacedock, then?

Let's see.  This ought to handle it, no?

Edited by politas

CKAN is great if you already know about the available mods and what they do, but it's not so great for browsing mods because you can only really search based on the mod's name.

Are there any plans to improve the ability to *find* a mod you like, either by adding 'tags' fields that authors can populate, or by just making a sort of 'dumb grep' on the mods' description fields?  I would actually prefer a dumb grep, with the expectation that authors can add a keyword list to the end of their description to help searching, than searching ONLY on keywords the author picked and not on their description text.

40 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

CKAN is great if you already know about the available mods and what they do, but it's not so great for browsing mods because you can only really search based on the mod's name.

Are there any plans to improve the ability to *find* a mod you like, either by adding 'tags' fields that authors can populate, or by just making a sort of 'dumb grep' on the mods' description fields?  I would actually prefer a dumb grep, with the expectation that authors can add a keyword list to the end of their description to help searching, than searching ONLY on keywords the author picked and not on their description text.

I can't see any major problem in adding a "Filter by description" box similar to the "Filter by mod name" and "Filter by author name" ones, and it sounds like an excellent idea! I've raised an issue for it.

On 3/11/2016 at 4:05 PM, Octa said:

i meant a feature which shows the recently uninstalled mods, no caching, as this has no usable history for the user. If you want to track down a problem, you uninstall a bunch of mods, re-test if the issue still exists and repeat that until it's gone. Then you re-install the mods again until it re-appears. Remember the exact name of all mods you have installed so you can 100% rollback? Was it Mk2 Extended, Mk2 Essentials or Mk2 Expansion?

Easiest way would be to make the status log persistent in the ckan directory of the KSP instance, so you could see what happened after each "Execute changes"

My thoughts on this would work great is a means of flagging / favoriting mods that do not necessarily reflect installed/cached status at all. This would simplify troubleshooting, but also allow a "shopping list" of mods to try, etc.

This could be as useful for the GUI as for the CLI.

I have a few mods on CKAN from KerbalStuff, which are converted to SpaceDock for the download, etc.  I've gone into space dock to add one of the new versions to CKAN by creating the mod again, as it wasn't actually listed on there.  I selected to add it to CKAN, but it isn't updating on there.  I've even tried using Netkan to add the GitHub version instead, but still no.  Am I doing something wrong?

The mod specifically is Kustom Kerbals.

8 hours ago, CliftonM said:

I have a few mods on CKAN from KerbalStuff, which are converted to SpaceDock for the download, etc.  I've gone into space dock to add one of the new versions to CKAN by creating the mod again, as it wasn't actually listed on there.  I selected to add it to CKAN, but it isn't updating on there.  I've even tried using Netkan to add the GitHub version instead, but still no.  Am I doing something wrong?

The mod specifically is Kustom Kerbals.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/3457 should sort that out, I believe. Any others that need looking at?

So I'm trying to get my mod into CKAN... tried both ways with netkan and rolling my own ckan file. 

when attempting to verify the netkan file and generate ckan metadata, I get no ckan file, the process ends with "FATAL CKAN.NetKan.Program <null> - Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." all preceding log messages seem to indicate no problems.

when attempting to roll my own ckan file and verifying by installing from ckan using ckan.exe GUI, I get same error message, "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

what do I do?

Edit: Looks like netkan worked despite the error? in the CKAN/downloads folder my mod is downloaded, however no ckan file is generated like the guide indicates.

Edited by nli2work

1 hour ago, nli2work said:

So I'm trying to get my mod into CKAN... tried both ways with netkan and rolling my own ckan file. 

when attempting to verify the netkan file and generate ckan metadata, I get no ckan file, the process ends with "FATAL CKAN.NetKan.Program <null> - Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." all preceding log messages seem to indicate no problems.

when attempting to roll my own ckan file and verifying by installing from ckan using ckan.exe GUI, I get same error message, "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

what do I do?

Edit: Looks like netkan worked despite the error? in the CKAN/downloads folder my mod is downloaded, however no ckan file is generated like the guide indicates.

Sounds like your install stanzas are off. Can you pastebin your .netkan file (or submit a PR) so I can have a look?

6 hours ago, politas said:

Sounds like your install stanzas are off. Can you pastebin your .netkan file (or submit a PR) so I can have a look?

Does netKan expect a certain folder structure inside the mod zip? like Gamedata/MyMod/? or just MyMod/?

Edited by nli2work

1 hour ago, nli2work said:

Does netKan expect a certain folder structure inside the mod zip? like Gamedata/MyMod/? or just MyMod/?

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Adding-a-mod-to-the-CKAN has the details. Basically, if you don't add any install instructions, it will attempt to install a folder in the base level of the zip file with the same name as the mod identifier into GameData. So, just MyMod. But if you have something else, you can use an "install" stanza with a collection of directives inside it, to tell CKAN exactly which files and folders need to be installed. There are some features for install directives that mean you need to change the "spec_version", but those are all described in that web page.

Okay, just making sure it wasn't trying to do a Gamedata/Gamedata/MyMod thing.

everything seem to check out based on what you said and the Spacedock startup guide on github. hosting is Spacedock, no special install instructions and only two dependencies. I'll send a netKan PR later today so you can check it out and see what I'm doing wrong. 

Edited by nli2work

19 hours ago, nli2work said:

Okay, just making sure it wasn't trying to do a Gamedata/Gamedata/MyMod thing.

everything seem to check out based on what you said and the Spacedock startup guide on github. hosting is Spacedock, no special install instructions and only two dependencies. I'll send a netKan PR later today so you can check it out and see what I'm doing wrong. 

Looking forward to it. I assume it's for Orbital Utility Vehicle? I think I might add that to my Rusty Duna Space Program install. I think it will fit in nicely.

3 hours ago, politas said:

Looking forward to it. I assume it's for Orbital Utility Vehicle? I think I might add that to my Rusty Duna Space Program install. I think it will fit in nicely.

Yep. CKAN can be run anywhere right? just point it to the proper KSP install location?

Does CKAN have any mod 'profiles' option? I would like to have different mods enabled depending on which career/savefile I intend to play, or have some mods only enabled for use with certain savefiles. This way, I don't have to uninstall/install mods all the time if I am switching between savefiles that I have setup for different playstyles, ie. a save that's got realism overhaul and stuff of that natural, or a save that has a minimum amount of mods and that isn't very different from stock.

Is this difficult to code? I'm surprised it hasn't been done already or been requested often.

7 hours ago, KocLobster said:

Does CKAN have any mod 'profiles' option? I would like to have different mods enabled depending on which career/savefile I intend to play, or have some mods only enabled for use with certain savefiles. This way, I don't have to uninstall/install mods all the time if I am switching between savefiles that I have setup for different playstyles, ie. a save that's got realism overhaul and stuff of that natural, or a save that has a minimum amount of mods and that isn't very different from stock.

Is this difficult to code? I'm surprised it hasn't been done already or been requested often.

It is not issue with CKAN, but rather how KSP work with mods in general. It is not possible to exclude some mods per savegame basis.
You can only have multiple KSP installs and on each instance of KSP have different set of mods installed.

CKAN already have option to handle multiple instances of KSP, although, I don't know if each can have different kind of mod sets installs, but even that can be solved with muliple instances of CKAN as well.

18 hours ago, kcs123 said:

CKAN already have option to handle multiple instances of KSP, although, I don't know if each can have different kind of mod sets installs, but even that can be solved with muliple instances of CKAN as well.

Yes, each install can have different mods and CKAN can manage the differences.

Edited by Brigadier

7 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Yes, each install can have different mods and CKAN can manage the differences.

Thanks for confirmation, I was not sure if CKAN can handle differences, I didn't try it for mysef, although I know about multiple KSP instances.