The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

4 hours ago, NecroBones said:

The pre-release 1.1 still says "1.0.5" in the readme, so it looks like the CKAN client still thinks it's a 1.0.5 release.

4 hours ago, kcs123 said:

That should be reported and fixed from SQUAD side. They even can call it 1.0.9 version or something like that.
That could alsom make CKAN friendly for mods made for pre-release version too.

Well actually no it should read buildID instead. This was already suggested #1545. Since there is two official versions of 1.0.5. Squad released a silent patch and we still see bug reports on the forum from people on the old build of 1.0.5 which is not supported by mod authors. A change needs pushed through on this soon. Squad has doubled up the earlier problem.

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

4 minutes ago, politas said:

latest 1.1 prerelease now has 1.1 in the readme file, we've been told. Can those who have switched over confirm that?

From the readme.txt

Version 1.1.0 Pre-release

13 hours ago, NathanKell said:

I'm not sure how "CKAN wasn't checking build ID" is somehow a Squad issue, but I agree the readme not updating to 1.1 was a problem and it will be fixed in the next prerelease, as I mentioned on the CKAN channel.

Just to clarify. CKAN not checking the build ID is not a Squad issue. After all you are Squad staff and raised the CKAN issue report in the first place.

Squad not changing the readme file again for the initial pre-release aggravates the problem. However it is still a CKAN problem. It is very good of Squad to update the readme file now and that will fix things. However it still nice to give you an option for silent patches further down to road. Even if that is unlikely to happen. It is an option that Squad should have. 

So even with Readme file changed. CKAN still needs to change to using the BuildID to give Squad better support. It is therefore still a CKAN problem that will be fixed very soon hopefully.  

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

Slight snag in CKAN download of [1.1] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine. Error Module USI-Core has not been found. This may be because it is not compatible with the currently installed version of KSP.

My first reaction was this was a @RoverDude speed lag. He is super fast and CKAN has trouble keeping up :cool:. However I am seeing USI-Core 0.1.8.0 out there with Max Version 1.1 in my other game versions. So perhaps worth flagging up here in case it is a deeper problem.

29 minutes ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Slight snag in CKAN download of [1.1] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine. Error Module USI-Core has not been found. This may be because it is not compatible with the currently installed version of KSP.

My first reaction was this was a @RoverDude speed lag. He is super fast and CKAN has trouble keeping up :cool:. However I am seeing USI-Core 0.1.8.0 out there with Max Version 1.1 in my other game versions. So perhaps worth flagging up here in case it is a deeper problem.

I am seeing USI-tools max version 1.1 over here.  Mods in CKAN are missing USI-core which was updated and is not in CKAN.  Seeing same version with 1.0.5 max version in CKAN pointed at a 1.0.5 install.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Right - that's because they only work on 1.1 ;)

I am using 1.1 beta with all you updated mods. Only your mods in fact. First time I have seen them without Opengl and half res. Simply stunning and amazing models by the way :wink:

Except [1.1] 'Project Orion' Nuclear Pulse Engine because it says USI core is not available. It's only available for 1.0.5. I suspect that might be a bit of tiny mistake at the CKAN end. Not the mods. Or will USI Core just not work in 1.1 builds yet?

rover I know you are busy with KSP development but despite your mods being updated to 1.1, only the following are in CKAN: warp drive (standalone), community recourse pack, 'otter' submersible, sounding rockets,

USI life support, USI tools.  Everything else you have to install manually (updated for 1.1 but not in CKAN).  I'd post github issues but I don't have a github account and most aren't listed and rather than chasing down github issues I thought posting what ones are in CKAN would be better than what are not.

Actually - I just checked and USI Core is fine - so if any stuff is not appearing, that's squarely a CKAN issue and it's ability to handle the 1.1 pre-release.  This, folks, is why I strongly recommend people understand how to install mods manually for those times when the tools fall over.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Actually - I just checked and USI Core is fine - so if any stuff is not appearing, that's squarely a CKAN issue and it's ability to handle the 1.1 pre-release.  This, folks, is why I strongly recommend people understand how to install mods manually for those times when the tools fall over.

Yes, thought it was CKAN but thanks for spending time on the issue report. Kicked out a new one into the NetKAN issue list with note that the KSP-AVC version files have be checked out.

On 3/29/2016 at 1:31 PM, Ixenzo said:

Is there a way to unflag AD mods so I could update them via CKAN, provided they're compatible, without having to completely reinstall them?

There's the CKAN Migration tool plugin.  Seems unmaintained, check the last few posts for an updated version (which may or may not work).

Shouldn't there be an option to order by date of update or to only show freshly updated mods? (I mean all of them, not only the ones I have installed)

The 1.1 list is increasing all the time, and everytime it happens I have to go through the whole list trying to remember which mods were already there and which are new.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I would really appreciate a feature that allows you to save or favorite a mod - without installing it. Just add it to a list so you can check back later. There are several mods I think are really cool but that I'm maybe not quite ready to install yet, and I will probably forget what a lot of them are! I'll probably have to make a text document of them or something. It would just really be convenient to be able to star them on CKAN or something like that.

Either way, thanks very much for this tool, it is absolutely essential for modding KSP at this point. Thank you!

3 hours ago, mr_trousers said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I would really appreciate a feature that allows you to save or favorite a mod - without installing it. Just add it to a list so you can check back later. There are several mods I think are really cool but that I'm maybe not quite ready to install yet, and I will probably forget what a lot of them are! I'll probably have to make a text document of them or something. It would just really be convenient to be able to star them on CKAN or something like that.

Either way, thanks very much for this tool, it is absolutely essential for modding KSP at this point. Thank you!

There is already such option. Run CKAN and choose on menu File->Export installed mods.

There is several optiions to choose for export. CKAN file is exactly for purpose you asking for, so you later on can import all favorite mods trough CKAN file. Other options, to export in txt file or csv are useful to copy-paste on forum for bug reports and simuilar or for usage in excel or other editors.

4 hours ago, kcs123 said:

There is already such option. Run CKAN and choose on menu File->Export installed mods.

There is several optiions to choose for export. CKAN file is exactly for purpose you asking for, so you later on can import all favorite mods trough CKAN file. Other options, to export in txt file or csv are useful to copy-paste on forum for bug reports and simuilar or for usage in excel or other editors.

I do not think that this is what the OP was asking for.  In order for that to work, they would have to install the mod first.  They are asking for a way to mark a mod for possible future installation, not install it now.  They are worried that they will probably forget about a mod in the future.  They mentioned a manual text file as a work around to remind them to consider a mod later.

I agree a way to have favorited mods, either because they are used constantly, or ones players which to not forget about (maybe waiting for a mod to resolve a bug or become beta, release, etc) would be very handy.  I also agree that the whole kick out the entire list when making changes is very annoying.  Most of the time it is a network congestion issue it seems, as a second try will go through fine.  It would be nice if CKAN just flagged the unable to be retrieved mods and listed them at the end.  Maybe not install any dependent mods if a mod fails.

The whole reason I was checking the thread though is I just swapped over to the Pre-release today and find it strange that many mods that are downloading for 1.05 are being listed as for version 1.1 now by the mod authors and ksp avc.  Yet now that I am running 1.1 those mods are no longer listed as compatible.  Might be worthwhile to check the pre-release mod thread as many of the mods on it which have been updated to 1.1 are not updated in CKAN it seems.

Edited by McyD
typo

On 03.04.2016. at 2:56 PM, Ranger said:

I do not think that this is what the OP was asking for.  In order for that to work, they would have to install the mod first.  They are asking for a way to mark a mod for possible future installation, not install it now.  They are worried that they will probably forget about a mod in the future.  They mentioned a manual text file as a work around to remind them to consider a mod later.

Uuups. Missreaded info about marking mods without installing them. My bad.

On 4/3/2016 at 11:00 AM, MarkTheRabidCat said:

please add a button to "retry" when updating mods or changing things, it's REALLY REALLY ANNOYING, to have to close the program, open the program, and redo all the changes any time it fails to do something.

It depends on the what the outcome is of the attempt. A traditional 404 error should give you the dismiss dialogue. You can cancel and it goes back to selection screen and preserves your choices.

However if you hit an unhandled exception. The whole thing needs restarted and choices are lost. 

20 hours ago, McyD said:

I also agree that the whole kick out the entire list when making changes is very annoying.  Most of the time it is a network congestion issue it seems, as a second try will go through fine.  It would be nice if CKAN just flagged the unable to be retrieved mods and listed them at the end.  Maybe not install any dependent mods if a mod fails.

Yes if for example 9 mods are fine but 1 is not. All 10 get rejected. Again the correct response is cancel and deselect as appropriate and try again. Although if it a deeper problem there is a risk of loosing all the choices.  

The issue on ways to fix this has been raised some time ago. I also like to keep a record of unhandled exceptions coming out of web connection problems. We should expect 404 errors and they are covered in the FAQ quite nicely. What should not seeing is a crash in CKAN in reaction to these external problems. See issue #1395

First, I want to thank you for making this amazing and useful tool!  Your time is much appreciated.

Suggestion: I'd like to have an override button that will allow installation of mods that haven't been specifically updated to the latest KSP.

Reason: The best atmospheric autopilot I've found is the Kramax autopilot.  It is in CKAN, but is only available for 1.0.4.  I believe the original mod author has lost interest as his last update was from November 2015, but his mod still works flawlessly.  I'm sure this has come up before, and will come up again - where authors do not keep their mod administratively updated, and it would be nice to be able to have a CKAN workaround.  I try to mod using CKAN wherever possible, but I'd use CKAN for 100% if there was an override button.

Thanks for all your hard work, and I hope this is a useful suggestion.

So I've got a big problem with CKAN. If I delete a mod MANUALLY from my gamedata folder, CKAN borks, throws an error because another mod (which I also uninstalled, but CKAN still thinks its installed) has the other deleted one as a dependency. So now CKAN throws an error every time I start it up and I can't do anything with it. Is this a common problem? Should I just delete the whole gamedata folder and start over?