The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

So I`ve noticed a recurring theme where users want to be able to perform actions on manually installed mods.

Why not just let them?

I know there would be the issue of zombie files if the directory was left (and the horror of dealing with the resulting bug reports for the mod maker) but how about forcing a wipe and install?

Warn the user they will possibly lose data relating to config files and such if they choose to convert from AD to CKAN but then if they choose to continue just delete the folder and install the mod clean.

Mod is now under the control of CKAN so the user is happy, and the mod install is a clean one with no files left over from an unknown install.

2 hours ago, John FX said:

So I`ve noticed a recurring theme where users want to be able to perform actions on manually installed mods.

Why not just let them?

I know there would be the issue of zombie files if the directory was left (and the horror of dealing with the resulting bug reports for the mod maker) but how about forcing a wipe and install?

Warn the user they will possibly lose data relating to config files and such if they choose to convert from AD to CKAN but then if they choose to continue just delete the folder and install the mod clean.

Mod is now under the control of CKAN so the user is happy, and the mod install is a clean one with no files left over from an unknown install.

Mainly because it's not as simple as "every mod has its own directory all to itself". We can't know how many things not installed by CKAN would be affected by deleting a folder.

What about providing a means to have CKAN install an "external" mod not hosted on Gethub or Spacedock?

We could point CKAN to the .zip (or whatever) file and analyze the structure to find either the GameData folder or the root mod folder.  Once the structure has been determined, CKAN could install it and track changes that it makes and would know what to delete when removing the mod.

I use the mod manager JSGME, JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler, that had a pretty robust algorithm to track mods and the changes made by each.  I've been using JSGME for KSP since around .24 and haven't had any issues and I still use it to "manually" install mods not supported by CKAN.  

If I could merge the functions of JSGME and CKAN, I'd be in KSP mod heaven.

Edited by WildBillKerbin

CKAN does have many mods on Curse or with Dropbox or other hosted download links. We're looking at adding the ability to automatically update Curse-only mods soon. If you would like to give some specific suggestions for how CKAN could handle some of those edge cases better, we'd welcome them. Start an issue at https://github.com/KSP-CKAN//CKAN/Issues

17 hours ago, politas said:

Mainly because it's not as simple as "every mod has its own directory all to itself". We can't know how many things not installed by CKAN would be affected by deleting a folder.

In most cases it is just additional config files and similar that was not recognized by CKAN on first install.

CKAN first try to uninstall everything - dependency mods first and main mod latest.
After that, if there is any leftover folder, from either, dependency or main mod, it will be better to move it somewhere in CKAN\backup folder or similar, outside of main GameData folder.

Just warn user about it trough uninstall procedure.

After that comes install of updated mod and all of it's dependencies - those should reinstall everything in proper order and recreate folders as needed. After that, user can copy over backed data if he want, nothing will be lost in process.

It is not ideal, may not cover every possible situation, but it will be much better than current system. I belive that @nobodyhasthis2 already raised issue about it on github.

CKAN is absolutely wonderful, and I love the "new in repository" feature, but it would be nice (especially with KSP 1.1) to have a "newly updated" filter, when a mod becomes compatible with the latest version of KSP.  Or perhaps highlight mods that have changed in the list? This would allow a user to incrementally add their favorite mods to the latest KSP version as they update without scrolling through the whole list every time. Thanks. :)

Edited by Hactar

10 hours ago, kcs123 said:

In most cases it is just additional config files and similar that was not recognized by CKAN on first install.

CKAN first try to uninstall everything - dependency mods first and main mod latest.
After that, if there is any leftover folder, from either, dependency or main mod, it will be better to move it somewhere in CKAN\backup folder or similar, outside of main GameData folder.

Just warn user about it trough uninstall procedure.

After that comes install of updated mod and all of it's dependencies - those should reinstall everything in proper order and recreate folders as needed. After that, user can copy over backed data if he want, nothing will be lost in process.

It is not ideal, may not cover every possible situation, but it will be much better than current system. I belive that @nobodyhasthis2 already raised issue about it on github.

Can I just say, you're asking for a significant increase in code complexity for a small number of use cases. I agree that it would be better to have things work this way. Unfortunately, we only have a limited supply of people working on the CKAN code (more are always welcome!) and they're doing it in their spare time. There are also some significant issues about mods sharing directories that throw doubt on the feasibility of doing it at all. It really isn't as simple as you are making it out.

12 hours ago, politas said:

Can I just say, you're asking for a significant increase in code complexity for a small number of use cases. I agree that it would be better to have things work this way. Unfortunately, we only have a limited supply of people working on the CKAN code (more are always welcome!) and they're doing it in their spare time. There are also some significant issues about mods sharing directories that throw doubt on the feasibility of doing it at all. It really isn't as simple as you are making it out.

I really appreciate, what you have did for community in personal free time. I'm also involved in mod development for differrent game and different community on moddb site. Let's just say that I understand. I barely have time to play games at all lately, so I can't offer more help than throwing suggestions and partly pseudocode from time to time.

On 11/04/2016 at 5:06 AM, severedsolo said:

Does somebody need to kick the server? I've released 4 updates over the weekend for three mods, an CKAN isn't offering me any of them (No meta data either).

Specifically:
ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation
ContractConfigurator-KFiles
ContractConfigurator-CleverSats

It looks like the last meta data anywhere was generated 2 days ago (according to Github anyway)

On 11/04/2016 at 5:41 AM, WildBillKerbin said:

Yours aren't the only updates not populating to CKAN.

AVC, SpaceY Heavy Lifters have also been updated but not showing up with new versions in CKAN.  There are probably more.

Hope this gets straightened out before the official 1.1 KSP release or it's back to manual updating of MODS again.

WildBill

Sorry about not publicly responding to these messages. I did see them, and starting frantically prodding some relevant CKAN folk to get it fixed, in between sleep and night shifts. There was a (supposedly minor) change that had an unintended effect on the build environment, which stopped the netkan bot from being able to add any new mod releases. All is fixed now, as should be obvious. Any mod releases that got skipped during the delay and really ought to be available, let us know here or in https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues

57 minutes ago, politas said:

Sorry about not publicly responding to these messages. I did see them, and starting frantically prodding some relevant CKAN folk to get it fixed, in between sleep and night shifts. There was a (supposedly minor) change that had an unintended effect on the build environment, which stopped the netkan bot from being able to add any new mod releases. All is fixed now, as should be obvious. Any mod releases that got skipped during the delay and really ought to be available, let us know here or in https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues

No problem! I figured someone had done something as it all seemed ok next day. The AVC update not being populated seems to be correct, as it's marked as a pre-release on Github.

When I try to install the Interstellar Fuel Switch mod I don't get the option to 'Apply changes'--the button stays grayed out. Several mods use it as a dependency and those installs can't be completed either. Is this something on my end or something with CKAN?

Derp, it was in conflict with another mod but I didn't see that because of the filter I was using. Please disregard :D

Edited by Varses

8 hours ago, >_Avionix said:

Could you add Avionix's Visual Pack?

My understanding is that it includes a modified experimental EVE, and EVE has not been released for 1.1. This combination basically means that we can't add Avionix, since it fails in its dependency of EVE. If we get a 1.1 release of EVE, there are a bunch of beautification mods that will suddenly start working. Perhaps you could all throw in some help to get EVE updated?

5 hours ago, politas said:

My understanding is that it includes a modified experimental EVE, and EVE has not been released for 1.1. This combination basically means that we can't add Avionix, since it fails in its dependency of EVE. If we get a 1.1 release of EVE, there are a bunch of beautification mods that will suddenly start working. Perhaps you could all throw in some help to get EVE updated?

Sure.

I don't know how to begin to troubleshoot this:

Wuzzat_zpslq6rjm4d.jpg

I'm trying to install Custom Clusters, but I keep getting this seemingly unrelated error message. If I click "continue", the new mod is checked, but "Apply Changes" stays greyed out.If I click "Quit", then CKAN just quits.

When I click on "Details". I get the following message (Greek to me, most of it):

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
CKAN.ModuleNotFoundKraken: Cannot install Ceteras-Suit-Pack, module not available
   at CKAN.CkanModule.FromIDandVersion(IRegistryQuerier registry, String mod, KSPVersion ksp_version)
   at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.<RelationshipResolver>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0(String name)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at CKAN.RelationshipResolver..ctor(IEnumerable`1 module_names, RelationshipResolverOptions options, IRegistryQuerier registry, KSPVersion kspversion)
   at CKAN.MainModList.ComputeConflictsFromModList(IRegistryQuerier registry, IEnumerable`1 change_set, KSPVersion ksp_version)
   at CKAN.Main.<UpdateChangeSetAndConflicts>c__async1.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at CKAN.Main.<ModList_CellValueChanged>c__async0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1078.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Robert%20Dunehew/Desktop/ckan.exe
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1075.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Dynamic
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I'm a newbie to this CKAN mod, looks wonderful, but I'm having a bit of a problem.

I downloaded CKAN.exe and NETKAN.exe and placed them in my Kerbal Space Program Directory (Separated from steam) but I keep getting this error when starting CKAN: "Failed to connect to repository. Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Here's to hoping its a simple problem because I'm ignorant on how this mod works, but I'd really like to know how to fix this

8 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I don't know how to begin to troubleshoot this:

I'm trying to install Custom Clusters, but I keep getting this seemingly unrelated error message. If I click "continue", the new mod is checked, but "Apply Changes" stays greyed out.If I click "Quit", then CKAN just quits.

When I click on "Details". I get the following message (Greek to me, most of it):

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
CKAN.ModuleNotFoundKraken: Cannot install Ceteras-Suit-Pack, module not available
   at CKAN.CkanModule.FromIDandVersion(IRegistryQuerier registry, String mod, KSPVersion ksp_version)
   at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.<RelationshipResolver>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0(String name)

I'm guessing you have Ceteras Suit Pack selected. Highlight it, click on the "Contents": Tab on the right and click "Download". That should let you apply your changes. 

But if "Apply Changes" is still greyed out, then what CKAN is saying is that you have an incompatible set of mods selected, so it can't do what you're asking.

2 hours ago, secretly_asian said:

I'm a newbie to this CKAN mod, looks wonderful, but I'm having a bit of a problem.

I downloaded CKAN.exe and NETKAN.exe and placed them in my Kerbal Space Program Directory (Separated from steam) but I keep getting this error when starting CKAN: "Failed to connect to repository. Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Here's to hoping its a simple problem because I'm ignorant on how this mod works, but I'd really like to know how to fix this

That error usually indicated that you do not have a compatible version of .Net framework (for Windows) or Mono (Linux and Mac). CKAN is designed for .Net 4.5, which is supported by Mono v4.0+

Edited by politas

32 minutes ago, politas said:

I'm guessing you have Ceteras Suit Pack selected. Highlight it, click on the "Contents": Tab on the right and click "Download". That should let you apply your changes. 

But if "Apply Changes" is still greyed out, then what CKAN is saying is that you have an incompatible set of mods selected, so it can't do what you're asking.

That error usually indicated that you do not have a compatible version of .Net framework (for Windows) or Mono (Linux and Mac). CKAN is designed for .Net 4.5, which is supported by Mono v4.0+

I didn't have but the one thing selected. I don't currently have any suit packs loaded. Ceteras Suit Pack doesn't even show on my menu. Everything was working just fine yesterday, and I haven't been installing new versions of .Net framework since I got this computer in November of last year.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

Hi

When i try to install mods i get the following error:

Failed to download "https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Release/6/artifact/MechJeb2-2.5.6.0.zip" - error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.

I updated .NET, haven't changed any setting, and it isn't being blocked by a firewall. I'm running windows 7 64bit. is there any other information you need?

edit: looks like the ksp.sarbian.com doesn't have a valid security certificate. it's also needed for downloading module manager, which every mod in existence uses :P

so not an issue with ckan.

Edited by Dangerous_Beans

4 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I didn't have but the one thing selected. I don't currently have any suit packs loaded. Ceteras Suit Pack doesn't even show on my menu. Everything was working just fine yesterday, and I haven't been installing new versions of .Net framework since I got this computer in November of last year.

The .net upgrade was Secretly_asian's issue. Try downloading the contents for the mod you want to install. Can you give me some more information about your operating system and KSP version? Actually, could you put all the relevant details into an issue on our GitHub Issues register?

Edited by politas

5 hours ago, politas said:

The .net upgrade was Secretly_asian's issue. Try downloading the contents for the mod you want to install. Can you give me some more information about your operating system and KSP version? Actually, could you put all the relevant details into an issue on our GitHub Issues register?

I'm using Windows 10, and what details are relevant? Everything I've said about it so far? Or are there other questions I need to answer?

There's an incredibly infurating bug in here for me, when you cancel installation, CKAN will deselect all the mods. With all of the frequent freezes, I spend hours just checking and re-checking the mods I want, and there's no way to skip a mod or cancel an installation without having to re-check all the mods I want.

Please, please, fix this. 

Additionally, occasionally mods will turn red, not sure what that means

1 hour ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I'm using Windows 10, and what details are relevant? Everything I've said about it so far? Or are there other questions I need to answer?

What you've said here, and answer the specific questions in the Issues template. 

48 minutes ago, waterlubber said:

There's an incredibly infurating bug in here for me, when you cancel installation, CKAN will deselect all the mods. With all of the frequent freezes, I spend hours just checking and re-checking the mods I want, and there's no way to skip a mod or cancel an installation without having to re-check all the mods I want.

Please, please, fix this. 

As soon as you start having such problems, there are a couple of options - Either install mods one at a time, or go to the contents tab and download the mods you want, so they are cached, and there's no problems caused in installation by downloads timing out.

Additionally, occasionally mods will turn red, not sure what that means

Mods turning red are indicating a conflict between mods you have selected. You'll need to choose between the highlighted mods and unselect the one you can live without.

8 minutes ago, politas said:

What you've said here, and answer the specific questions in the Issues template. 

As soon as you start having such problems, there are a couple of options - Either install mods one at a time, or go to the contents tab and download the mods you want, so they are cached, and there's no problems caused in installation by downloads timing out.

Mods turning red are indicating a conflict between mods you have selected. You'll need to choose between the highlighted mods and unselect the one you can live without.

Not timing out, it'll freeze on installing a mod (VesselView in particular)

I don't mind the freezes, I can install something manually, it's the deselection of checked mods that gets me