The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

20 hours ago, Tantalus said:

Did you restart CKAN after deleting the mods? I've done the same, and CKAN recognized the absence of the mod after a full restart, then i was able to add it via CKAN.

I have restarted CKAN, of course. The mods were still marked as "AD". But restarting Windows helped. So, thanks for the tip.

Reposting question:

How do I tell CKAN that I already have some mods that it's not actually seeing (all of RoverDudes stuff for one), but tell it to NOT download and overwrite what's already installed?

6 hours ago, smjjames said:

Reposting question:

How do I tell CKAN that I already have some mods that it's not actually seeing (all of RoverDudes stuff for one), but tell it to NOT download and overwrite what's already installed?

If CKAN isn't seeing them and they are available in CKAN (which RoverDude's mods all should be), you're really better off deleting them (make backups!) and re-installing via CKAN. CKAN will refuse to overwrite any file it didn't install, so if you want to stick with some manual installations, you shouldn't have any troubles as long as you don't try to install anything through CKAN that hasa  dependency on the manually installed mods.

If you want to use CKAN, the best thing, overwhelmingly, is to only install mods via CKAN. As soon as you start mixing manually installed mods and CKAN installed mods, problems become likely. Have a read back through the last couple of pages and see a bunch of posts showing why this is so.

I have CKAN 1.16 and KSP 1.1.0

I'm trying to install Real Solar System and I'm getting an exception box:

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at CKAN.GUIMod.SetInstallChecked(DataGridViewRow row, Nullable`1 set_value_to)
   at CKAN.Main._MarkModForInstall(String identifier, Boolean uninstall)
   at CKAN.Util.Invoke[T](T obj, Action action)
   at CKAN.Main.<TooManyModsProvide>c__async2.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at CKAN.MainModList.<ComputeChangeSetFromModList>c__async0.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at CKAN.Main.<UpdateChangeSetAndConflicts>c__async1.MoveNext()
   at CKAN.Main.<ModList_CellValueChanged>c__async0.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1078.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/KSP-Modded/ckan.exe
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1075.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Dynamic
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

Any ideas?

Howdy folks, just a brief question about how the backend CKAN submission process works for mods.

With the migration from v1.1 to v1.1.1, of course, mod compatibility (and notations of mod compatibility) is again an issue.  My question: if a mod author submitted an updated metadata file to CKAN "now," how long would it take to register as updated at the client side of the equation?  Is this a thing that simply reflects at midnight according to some specific timezone, or with manually-triggered batch updates, or some other formula?

Thanks!  CKAN is a lifesaver!

To that end... is there any way that we can get a CKAN function to show us "only mods that have become listed since we last checked"?  Or a way to manually "favorite" or "follow" mods without installing them?  Or a way to list the mods we've installed chronologically, such as for troubleshooting if we know that our game worked fine before that last batch of five mods was added?

On 4/23/2016 at 10:38 AM, AlphaWolf said:

**SOLVED**

For anyone who finds this later, I found a workaround:  Modify your readme.txt in the KSP folder to contain the proper version.  Apparently Steam installs the latest readme.txt no matter what version of the game you have installed.  This is another reason CKAN should be using the buildID.txt for version detection. :)   (I found the bug report where this change is being discussed.)

I'm having an issue where CKAN is detecting my 1.0.5 install as 1.1.0, so I can't install any of the mods I want.  Is there a way to override the detected version of KSP?

On Windows 10 64-bit, I've told Steam to install the previous stable version of KSP.  I actually deleted all the local game content (both in Steam and then deleting the KSP folder via Windows Explorer) and then reinstalled via steam, ensuring that it contained only v1.0.5 files.  I launched KSP and it says v1.0.5.1028 on the startup screen.

CKAN was installed using the "Download the latest release" link at the start of this thread.  It is version 1.16.1-0-g2e91715 (beta).  The .exe is in the KSP folder.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Thanks for figuring this out! I was wondering what was up with CKAN.

Today i updated ksp to 1.1.1 from 1.1, and then started ckan, i couldn't find older working versions of mods. I mean i couldnt find any of mods older 1.1.1, even some of old mods works. 

EDIT: nvm, filter was automaticly turned on some why.

Edited by SolidJuho

Hi!

I've had reports of some trouble with CKAN compatibility of my mod (in signature). I uploaded the latest version to Spacedock.info, checked the little 'add to CKAN' box and marked it as compatible for 1.1

However, it is still listed as only compatibly with 1.0.5 in CKAN? Could this error be amended, please?

13 minutes ago, Prismatech said:

Proposal all 1.1.x updates are pure bugfix. This should not not be considered as basic update. and thus not a block versions compatible lead the 1.y version.

Yeah, except 1.0.5 was a "bugfix" to 1.0.4 and changed the game so that some mods actually were incompatible. 

4 hours ago, MatterBeam said:

Hi!

I've had reports of some trouble with CKAN compatibility of my mod (in signature). I uploaded the latest version to Spacedock.info, checked the little 'add to CKAN' box and marked it as compatible for 1.1

However, it is still listed as only compatibly with 1.0.5 in CKAN? Could this error be amended, please?

Not sure why 1.7 hasn't been inflated, but I'm trying a change to fix it.

9 hours ago, KerbOrbiter said:

anyone?

As for custom URL installs, I have nothing to do with CKAN but I've troubleshot CKAN and a lot of management utilities like it.  Based on what I see the utility "doing" with respect to GameData folders and tracking what it's done for "ownership" purposes as well as for update / uninstall purposes, against what I gather from these forums as to how the backend registration process works for mod authors submitting their work to the repository; I'd suggest that pulling unvetted source data, even if it's at the user's own risk and discretion, can interfere with some of the error-proofing already in place.  I'm not even talking about malware or licensing issues, I'm talking about sheer technical tracking.

That said, as a fellow user, I can at least agree with you that some form of this idea could potentially become useful to me.

5 hours ago, MatterBeam said:

Hi!

I know that I intentionally allow CKAN to restrict me to only "compatible" mod listings as keyed against my KSP version number.  Since backing up my v1.1 and running a new and sterile v1.1.1, that means that a lot of v1.1 or v1.1.0 mods are not listed for me for the time being, at least until someone on the backend manually submits a repository update that explicitly affirms that v1.1.1 is within the known-compatible range of KSP versions.  I suspect that some users are not as aware of CKAN's habit of doing this, since allowing CKAN to modify updated installs is a more common practice than what I'm doing, which is to intentionally begin with a new and sterile copy of the game before proceeding further.  And to be sure, CKAN will allow you to work with updated versions, simply pegging installed mods for updates as they become flagged as available, despite the fact that uninstalling the mod in question would result in being entirely unable to CKAN-reinstall it due to the apparent version mismatch.

2 hours ago, MisterFister said:

As for custom URL installs, I have nothing to do with CKAN but I've troubleshot CKAN and a lot of management utilities like it.  Based on what I see the utility "doing" with respect to GameData folders and tracking what it's done for "ownership" purposes as well as for update / uninstall purposes, against what I gather from these forums as to how the backend registration process works for mod authors submitting their work to the repository; I'd suggest that pulling unvetted source data, even if it's at the user's own risk and discretion, can interfere with some of the error-proofing already in place.  I'm not even talking about malware or licensing issues, I'm talking about sheer technical tracking.

That said, as a fellow user, I can at least agree with you that some form of this idea could potentially become useful to me.

I know that I intentionally allow CKAN to restrict me to only "compatible" mod listings as keyed against my KSP version number.  Since backing up my v1.1 and running a new and sterile v1.1.1, that means that a lot of v1.1 or v1.1.0 mods are not listed for me for the time being, at least until someone on the backend manually submits a repository update that explicitly affirms that v1.1.1 is within the known-compatible range of KSP versions.  I suspect that some users are not as aware of CKAN's habit of doing this, since allowing CKAN to modify updated installs is a more common practice than what I'm doing, which is to intentionally begin with a new and sterile copy of the game before proceeding further.  And to be sure, CKAN will allow you to work with updated versions, simply pegging installed mods for updates as they become flagged as available, despite the fact that uninstalling the mod in question would result in being entirely unable to CKAN-reinstall it due to the apparent version mismatch.

Would you therefore suggest I create a version 1.8 marked as compatible with 1.1.1?

I have a couple of questions forgive me if they have been asked in another form.  I went through the last 5 pages of posts and I see something like my question but no definitive answer.

QUESTIONS:

Mods installed and available in ckan for version 1.1.0 are not showing up as compatible  in ckan for 1.1.1.  Okay I understand why so please don't bother explaining this to me.

(1) What I do not understand is the mechanism by which mod releases are updated within ckan?  Do the mod authors have to push them?  Is there a request system where users can request mods be added?  Is there some magic genie that mystically makes compatible mods get updated in the repository?

I ask because things like eve for 1.1.0 version 1-1-1 (which in it self is crazy confusing to users)  Is apparently compatible with ksp 1.1.1 because streamers and friends that simply run from their steam folder and already had the 1.1.0 version installed from ckan are running it as well as all the other mods they had previously installed from their 1.1.0.1230 install within the steam folder.

(2) But because I chose to run from a clean install they are all now incompatible for me and I have to go through and manually add them if I want to play my 1.1.1 install and have the mods that I have become accustom to using?  What I do is create individual folders when there is a steam update to ksp for instance with the 1.1.1 version 1250 release I create the folders - 1.1.1.1250 (with the clean install) then make folders I add mods to like 1.1.1.1250_StremingVersion, 1.1.1.1250_Personal, 1.1.1.1250_Experimental, etc.

(3) Then the next problem that arises is when whatever "magic genie" does update the 1.1.0 mods that are still compatible with 1.1.1 I cannot uninstall the versions I manually installed without getting the infamous - "ERROR - incompatible kracken! ckan is now bricked! Thank you for playing ....." and ckan crashes and my entire install is bricked.  Then I have to spend hours trying to unravel the dependency issues that are bricking the install or just start all over from scratch again, which becomes really annoying, really fast.

UPDATE:

OMG!  Look at the very next post to mine!  This sums up my confusion on this topic perfectly and demonstrates a good reason why this entire topic of - "How to handle CKAN compatibility issues when a new version of KSP is released" might be something worth adding to a FAQs section up in the OP or at the top of the posts with a sticky tag?

Edited by ctbram

28 minutes ago, LividPumpkin said:

Guys how can i set CKAN to show the 1.1 mods that works with 1.1.1 ? 

Wait until the mod author marks the 1.1 mods as compatible with 1.1.1.  CKAN itself has no way of knowing which mods will work and which won't unless someone updates the metadata.

Many mods from 1.0.5 still work, yet ckan does not allow users to install them.
In a very short timeframe, KSP 1.1 was released, then 1.1.1 and now a few days later 1.1.2.

CKAN definately needs a manual override button to install mods.

Independent of version number being cleared for the current KSP version or other restrictions like mod conflict entries or other artificial obstacles.

You confirm the "override install" and the issues are on the user. It simply installs the last known version of the mod, ckan just provides a "download/install functionality" without patronizing the users (though giving fair warning with the "override" dialog).

I remember seeing those guidelines: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/blob/master/policy/de-indexing.md

But what actually happens is, that ckan itself makes all mods unavailable as soon as a KSP version update hits. That is all fine for default operations, but in the end it should be up to the users to override ckan default preferences and install the mod, tranferring responsibility to the user if s/he so wishes. Especially with the KSP version issues in mind, from 1.0.x to 1.1.x! At the moment it feels as restricting as a DRM mechanism...

22 minutes ago, Yemo said:

CKAN definately needs a manual override button to install mods

I remember hearing someone describing a way of doing this, but I don't remember what it was.  Surely there is a way.  Hopefully one that doesn't involve editing a dozen and one config/ini/json files.