The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

so I am getting a similar problem as an earlier user, my CKAN on xubuntu 16.4 just has a green dashed line running across the top and never downloads or installs the selected mods. I am now passing the 10hr mark on trying to solve this issue. This is the terminal output for running CKAN. All I have tried to get in this run was module manager. Terminal does nothing after this and this is simply what shows when starting CKAN, nothing shows as I try and run the install.

1931 [1] ERROR CKAN.URLHandlers (null) - There was an error while registering the URL handler for ckan:// - Could not find a part of the path "/home/usr/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list".
1941 [1] ERROR CKAN.URLHandlers (null) -   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) <0x7f7bbcf5c2c0 + 0x001f4> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, System.String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) <0x7f7bbcf5c210 + 0x0004d> in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions,string,bool,bool,bool)
  at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile (System.String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost) <0x7f7bbcdceb80 + 0x00095> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path, Boolean append, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost) <0x7f7bbcdce840 + 0x00073> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path, Boolean append, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize) <0x7f7bbcdce800 + 0x00035> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path) <0x7f7bbcdce750 + 0x0002a> in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamWriter:.ctor (string)
  at System.IO.File.WriteAllLines (System.String path, System.String[] contents) <0x7f7bbcf5a800 + 0x00033> in <filename unknown>:0
  at CKAN.URLHandlers.RegisterURLHandler_Linux () <0x41d71620 + 0x00185> in <filename unknown>:0
  at CKAN.URLHandlers.RegisterURLHandler (CKAN.Configuration config, IUser user) <0x41d712e0 + 0x00037> in <filename unknown>:0

the sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev was among the first things I installed as per the instructions on the CKAN install page, it was recommended that I reinstall that package and have, re-started CKAN as I type this and it is working and installing fine now, very odd that it didnt take the first time

Thanks to user "lodger" for the suggestion

Edited by ArturDent69
issue solved

How many ppl are using CKAN on windows 10?

I only started using it since I recently restarted my game, which was post switching to from Win7 to Win10 so I have no basis for comparison. Whilst when it works its great this seem to only be about 50% of the time! 

It frequently seems to kinda timeout when downloading things (Just stops midway and then claims it can't compete the d/l, retrying after giving it more bandwidth usually works) or crashes when trying to install stuff, I've semi-reverted to doing it all the old fashioned way. Just wondered if it might be a windows 10 thing, I did have to download some outdated NetFramework to get it to work at all. Afraid I don't have any specific logs / errors but might start collecting them from here on in, just wondered if there was a consensus opinion on Win10 stability (or lack of!).

How to "convert" autodetected mods to work with CKAN Linux?

Usually i remove the mod (or only empty the mod folder), press refresh or restart CKAN, then mark it and install.

Now i have 3 4 Mods that i want to handle by CKAN.
Some days ago i remove one (f.e. only the ModuleManager.dll) CKAN freeze at refreshing and can not cancel.
Only reboot of Linux-Box help.

Now i tried again and CKAN will not start. Window flash up and close immediately. (No entries in Log-files.)

After some investigation i saw that these mods are not listed in CKAN config file/s.

Could there be or is there any help/fix/workaround for that?

Thanks in advance.

On 5/22/2016 at 4:19 PM, Puppy_The_Pup said:

Why doesn't Ckan Open 64 bit Ksp?! it keeps opening 32 bit and crashing

We fixed that for the next CKAN release.

You can also change the command line arguments from "KSP" to "KSP_64".

23 hours ago, p1t1o said:

My CKAN is getting an error trying to download from spacedock. There something up?

SpaceDock had some problems with the server. They're now fixed.

5 hours ago, Bishop149 said:

How many ppl are using CKAN on windows 10?

I only started using it since I recently restarted my game, which was post switching to from Win7 to Win10 so I have no basis for comparison. Whilst when it works its great this seem to only be about 50% of the time! 

It frequently seems to kinda timeout when downloading things (Just stops midway and then claims it can't compete the d/l, retrying after giving it more bandwidth usually works) or crashes when trying to install stuff, I've semi-reverted to doing it all the old fashioned way. Just wondered if it might be a windows 10 thing, I did have to download some outdated NetFramework to get it to work at all. Afraid I don't have any specific logs / errors but might start collecting them from here on in, just wondered if there was a consensus opinion on Win10 stability (or lack of!).

Windows 10 is the reason I spent 16 hrs yesterday installing and setting up xubuntu 16.4, so I may have a few suggestions. First is that Win10 has around 30 ways that it uses your Internet connection to call home with various reporting variants, if you did a custom install and said no to everything then your in the clear, if not I highly recommend the How to Geek sites articles on shutting down these bandwidth gobblers. The net framework you downloaded is not out of date it is just the version needed, programs that use those load them by the date tag and newer versions dont have the same structure as the older, a case of MS being lazy really. Another stumbling block of windows is its need to fill 60% of your ram no matter how much you have it seems, as an example my laptop is only 4g ram and win 10 at first took up 2.2g of that whereas my tower has 16g and the windows had sealed off over 9g of it for system use.

Beyond that my CKAN ran quite well in the win10 enterprise edition I had, I got rid of it because some of my towers components conflicted with windows 10 architecture I guess. My laptop runs win10 flawlessly and has shown no issues at all, my PC couldn't stay up and running for more then an hour before the power would fail, I have a corsair ax760i, it also started just randomly rebooting as well and started to give me a watermark stating my copy was not genuine even after 4 separate calls to MS service desk to fix. Good luck with windows 10, I spent half a day tweaking it on my laptop so it ran light on the ram, something that didnt seem to work on the tower hence the install of xubuntu.

12 hours ago, OldLost said:

Could Bulb be added to CKAN?

https://spacedock.info/mod/552/Bulb

It was before, so sure!

19 hours ago, Jansn67 said:

How to "convert" autodetected mods to work with CKAN Linux?

Usually i remove the mod (or only empty the mod folder), press refresh or restart CKAN, then mark it and install.

Now i have 3 4 Mods that i want to handle by CKAN.
Some days ago i remove one (f.e. only the ModuleManager.dll) CKAN freeze at refreshing and can not cancel.
Only reboot of Linux-Box help.

Now i tried again and CKAN will not start. Window flash up and close immediately. (No entries in Log-files.)

After some investigation i saw that these mods are not listed in CKAN config file/s.

Could there be or is there any help/fix/workaround for that?

Thanks in advance.

If you remove an auto-detected mod that other mods have as a dependency, CKAN crashes. It's a known bug. ModuleManager is one of the most common dependencies there is, so the only way to get it back into CKAN management is to export your modlist to a "favourites" .ckan, uninstall everything, clean your GameData folder back to just the Squad folder, Refresh and reload CKAN, and then install your favourites .ckan.

Edited by politas

On 24.5.2016 at 11:07 AM, politas said:

If you remove an auto-detected mod that other mods have as a dependency, CKAN crashes. It's a known bug. ModuleManager is one of the most common dependencies there is, so the only way to get it back into CKAN management is to export your modlist to a "favourites" .ckan, uninstall everything, clean your GameData folder back to just the Squad folder, Refresh and reload CKAN, and then install your favourites .ckan.

Thanks for explanation. Now i can live with actual state, its just a handful of mods which i must handle manually.
(I can remember long time ago, there was a plugin.dll which could handle such stuff... but it stopped to work after a while.)

PS: it was migrationtool.dll

2 hours ago, Jansn67 said:

(I can remember long time ago, there was a plugin.dll which could handle such stuff... but it stopped to work after a while.)

PS: it was migrationtool.dll

Yeah, that stopped working, and the person who wrote it seems to have moved on to other things. I'm not sure it was ever really reliable.

Sooo, some news for converting autodetected mods to ckan gui handable:

Open bash/commandline
Change dir to ksp root dir
Move out mod dir from KSP gamedata (to have a backup, cause i use lot of self edited configs)
Enter "ckan.exe list" in batch
Enter "ckan.exe install <mod-id>" in bash (Mod-id you get per "ckan.exe list")
Voila:mod is not autodetected anymore
Finish by open CKAN gui. Now you can de/re/install mod/s.

Without list-command before install a mod it will be marked as AD again.

Edited by Jansn67

Hello and thanks for maintaining CKAN. :)

I was wondering if it would be possible for CKAN to add install options for the textures that come with Stock Visual Enhancements: 

With the manual download there are options for Low, Medium, High and Ultra resolutions. Through CKAN you get no option and the Low Res textures are installed.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bleddyn said:

Hello and thanks for maintaining CKAN. :)

I was wondering if it would be possible for CKAN to add install options for the textures that come with Stock Visual Enhancements: 

With the manual download there are options for Low, Medium, High and Ultra resolutions. Through CKAN you get no option and the Low Res textures are installed.

Thanks!

Actually, as @NHawks17 said on the last page here, you get the MR textures, not LR. And to answer your question, no. We cannot make the full range of resolutions available until NHawks17 releases them in a way we can scrape them. Currently, Spacedock has the only versions we can scrape, because the GitHub files are not actually releases, they are pre-releases. 

If you download a zip file from GitHub, you can overwrite the texture files after CKAN has installed them. CKAN will not notice that the files are suddenly larger. That's what I'm doing for now.

On 5/21/2016 at 6:19 PM, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Why just just use Github as the primary release source?

https://github.com/codepoetpbowden/ConnectedLivingSpace/releases

The NetKAN can point anywhere. This can fixes things and in terms of workflow it might be easier later on if there is a problem with Spacedock. 

The reason I chose SpaceDock was to support SpaceDock within the community.  As a modder, I prefer to support the efforts of other modders.  I provide the download link to Github, Curse and SpaceDock in my OP to provide the most flexibility and choice among the KSP playing community.  If SpaceDock continues to be an issue, I may change the download source in the future.

Edited by Papa_Joe
clarification, grammer

I'm not sure, where to ask about SpaceDock, but since CKAN is using it for DLs, I'll ask here.

The thing is, that I can't update a few mods through CKAN, for example KSPI-E, and when I try to download it with browser I get the same 404 error.

But when I use ZenMate(proxy) download is ok, I'm getting different URLs for download.

For KSPI-E I get this URL: http://cdn.spacedock.info/FreeThinker_517/KSP_Interstellar_Extended/KSP_Interstellar_Extended-1.8.21.zip without proxy and that leads to 404 but with proxy I get spacedock.info/mod/172/KSP%20Interstellar%20Extended/download/1.8.21 and that is working properly. :/

Since I don't want to use some global proxy, I can't use CKAN to update mods :/

4 minutes ago, LordAssault said:

I'm not sure, where to ask about SpaceDock, but since CKAN is using it for DLs, I'll ask here.

The thing is, that I can't update a few mods through CKAN, for example KSPI-E, and when I try to download it with browser I get the same 404 error.

But when I use ZenMate(proxy) download is ok, I'm getting different URLs for download.

For KSPI-E I get this URL: http://cdn.spacedock.info/FreeThinker_517/KSP_Interstellar_Extended/KSP_Interstellar_Extended-1.8.21.zip without proxy and that leads to 404 but with proxy I get spacedock.info/mod/172/KSP%20Interstellar%20Extended/download/1.8.21 and that is working properly. :/

Since I don't want to use some global proxy, I can't use CKAN to update mods :/

The Spacedock IRC channel says:

Please report all issues on GitHub, search first: https://github.com/KSP-SpaceDock/SpaceDock/issues 

I'm not sure exactly what you mean in regards to your proxy settings.

There is a Spacedock thread, too.

Well i cannot say that ckan is good but i can say that ckan is annoying.Because i experience many crashes,krakens and other bullexcrementss like few minutes ago ,i trying to update connected living space and hello ckan says that he cannot install mod that is installed(but i ordered u to update that mod dumbass!!).Really he is like some housekeeper better than nothing but too dumb to follow simple order.Christ i pray for improvements or some alternative.Btw u could add history of what was installed and unnistalled.
And i hope my sanity will hold off this annoyance

Edited by Syczek

8 minutes ago, Syczek said:

Well i cannot say that ckan is good but i can say that ckan is annoying.Because i experience many crashes,krakens and other bullexcrementss like few minutes ago ,i trying to update connected living space and hello ckan says that he cannot install mod that is installed(but i ordered u to update that mod dumbass!!).Really he is like some housekeeper better than nothing but too dumb to follow simple order.Christ i pray for improvements or some alternative.Btw u could add history of what was installed and unnistalled.
And i hope my sanity will hold off this annoyance

Wow, that seems like an unnecessarily large amount of bitterness for one post.  Could I suggest a clean install of KSP?  Hard to say of what you describe is CKAN's fault or not without knowing every exact thing you did (in and outside of CKAN).  CKAN's error handling leaves a bit to be desired, but almost no one has problems of the magnitude you describe, so there's probably just something weird in your install.  If you have games in progress you should just be able to copy over the "saves" folder assuming you're installing all the same mods.

16 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Wow, that seems like an unnecessarily large amount of bitterness for one post.  Could I suggest a clean install of KSP?  Hard to say of what you describe is CKAN's fault or not without knowing every exact thing you did (in and outside of CKAN).  CKAN's error handling leaves a bit to be desired, but almost no one has problems of the magnitude you describe, so there's probably just something weird in your install.  If you have games in progress you should just be able to copy over the "saves" folder assuming you're installing all the same mods.

Okay mister let me clarify what i mean.I using Ckan he used to serve in acceptable level.But now for no reason ckan thinks that i trying to install from new a mod that i wish to update.And that happening from time to time .And when i trying to update some mods it crashes with same reason.So tell me are u would be happy that program that seems to be click and forget become click and let tons of bugs,error and crashes for no real reason or silly reason comes out??

Oh and yes i do clear install and same thing.If i would not use that big amount of mods i would just throw this program into trash bin

Edited by Syczek

5 hours ago, Syczek said:

Okay mister let me clarify what i mean.I using Ckan he used to serve in acceptable level.But now for no reason ckan thinks that i trying to install from new a mod that i wish to update.And that happening from time to time .And when i trying to update some mods it crashes with same reason.So tell me are u would be happy that program that seems to be click and forget become click and let tons of bugs,error and crashes for no real reason or silly reason comes out??

Oh and yes i do clear install and same thing.If i would not use that big amount of mods i would just throw this program into trash bin

I would just like to point out that this is a FREE program, worked on by VOLUNTEERS.  Yes, it has it's bugs.  Just about no program out there more advanced then "Hello World" is bug free.  But it does generally work, and it does so on all three major OS's.  As a Mac user, even having to use Mono, that is an amazing feat, particularly for freeware.

If you want to have the problems that you are experiencing fixed, then provide the information that they need to fix them.  Exactly what mods is it happening with?  Is it always the same ones, or does it change every time?  Does it work after you re-start CKAN? Exactly what errors (as in exactly what wording) is getting thrown up?  Things like that.  You can post here, or, even better, on the Github error reporting page.

And please do so politely.  Because it is posts like yours, with that attitude, that may convince the people that provide us with this tool that so many of us have come to depend on to stop working on the program at all.  And then not only would the bugs not get fixed, but eventually it would become unusable to EVERYONE, and we would all be back to updating out mods manually.

Whenever is frequent mod updates, it is good idea to export installed mods to "*.ckan" file, uninstall everything, delete all folders in gamedata except SQUAD to ensure that there is no leftover files from previous installs that could break something.

Then install everything again from previously exported "*.ckan" file. CKAN will be cache downloaded files, so you don't need to download them again, only install them.
While sound tedious, this can solve a lot of issues caused by possible faulty installs.

I have been using CKAN for a while and I think that an useful feature could be to have the "likes" from Curse or whatever mods repository, in order to filter them for "most popular", "most valuable"... etc.