The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

My point mostly is that when addons have updates, and ckan is lagging behind, it becomes a major issue if I decide to manually update the mod

For example, a couple contract packs updated today, and I updated them, but contract configurator also updated, and that isn't on ckan yet, so I would have to manually update, but ckan screws up when you manually install mods

I have to update contract configurator manually because the contract packs I updated are apparently incompatible with the older version, throwing this error on launch

Our goal with the CKAN is correctness over timeliness. Usually our indexers pick up new releases within a couple of hours, although as Daz mentioned we're working on improving that even more. We also *very* much appreciate contributors; one of the strengths of the CKAN is that once a human has written the metadata for a mod, all our users can use that metadata. (Daz has personally saved the KSP community tens of thousands of hours of install time by doing this). The CKAN wiki is a good place to start, and hanging out on #ckan on irc.esper.net is especially good.

In the case of contract configurator, our, failure is that we're offering you contract packs when we can't also offer you the correct version of contract configurator to go with them. The CKAN metadata format allows one to specify that a given mod has specific version requirements from other mods, so this can and should be done from a metadata standpoint, but unless we have mods include their dependencies in a format we can read, we can expect the odd mistake around release times without a human to review things.

As for "force installing a new version", the CKAN *does* have a concept of force-installing a mod for a different version of KSP, but it can't "force install" a mod that hasn't been indexed yet (unless you write the metadata for it, in which case you've fixed the problem for everyone, and we hail you as a hero). The metadata model is core to the CKAN; you can't install a mod without providing it with instructions on *how* to install that mod.

In any case this is a good reminder that we need a way to give mod authors a way to provide self-published metadata, so they *can* indicate things like minimum version requirements of dependencies. As Daz mentioned, we're also looking at improving our indexing speed (now that we're tracking so many mods that can be a little slow, but techman83 is doing oodles of great work to improve this).

Many thanks again,

~ Paul

request for OPT Space Plane v1.6.9 to be added, it is WIP but still

Also Kerbokatz Small utilities, if it isn't in there already(love the auto balancing landing legs, its for landing legs what CKAn is for mods)

Edited by Toyotawolf

CKAN says "Select KSP install" and I select my current install: C:\Users\myname\Documents\KSP 1.0.2\KSP_win. I click OK. And then, It says: "Error!

Directory C:\Users\myname\Documents\KSP 1.0.2\KSP_win is not a valid KSP directory." :huh: Why? I'm pretty sure this is valid, and if it is, CKAN is giving me a bad first impression. If its not, Ill just install all my mods and forever wonder if it is valid. ANYBODY who can help me is welcome to and reply to me if you can. :D

CKAN says "Select KSP install" and I select my current install: C:\Users\myname\Documents\KSP 1.0.2\KSP_win. I click OK. And then, It says: "Error!

Directory C:\Users\myname\Documents\KSP 1.0.2\KSP_win is not a valid KSP directory." :huh: Why? I'm pretty sure this is valid, and if it is, CKAN is giving me a bad first impression. If its not, Ill just install all my mods and forever wonder if it is valid. ANYBODY who can help me is welcome to and reply to me if you can. :D

This is an awesome question, and I've added the answer to our FAQ. :)

~ Paul

Unable to install RealFuels and KSPI Extended at the same time after the last repository update because KSPI Extended is marked to require Interstellar Fuel Switch, but Interstellar Fuel Switch and Real Fuels are marked to conflict with eachother, even though KSPI Extended supports Real Fuels

I see the changes necessary in the repo to fix my issues with KSPI Extended, Real Fuels, and Interstellar Fuel Switch

Real Fuels had a "conflicts" with Interstellar Fuel Switch added 2 versions ago, but because KSPI Extended is set to "require" Interstellar Fuel Switch, you can't swap them out

So I forked it and proposed the changes, making KSPI Extended instead "recommend" both Interstellar Fuel Switch and RealFuels. If I did something wrong, please be sure to let me know, this is my first contribution to github

Edited by ExEvolution

Trying to install realism overhaul(with all the recomended and many suggested mods), using ckan 1.6.22, got this error:

Unhandled exception:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Stream:Dispose ()

at CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader.CurlWatchThread (Int32 index, CurlSharp.CurlEasy easy, System.IO.FileStream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader+<DownloadCurl>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

in console it was saying this:

3671 [1] WARN CKAN.URLHandlers (null) - Skipping URL handler: Parsing Error: Could not parse file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

411961 [1] ERROR CKAN.ErrorDialog (null) - Unhandled exception:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Stream:Dispose ()

at CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader.CurlWatchThread (Int32 index, CurlSharp.CurlEasy easy, System.IO.FileStream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader+<DownloadCurl>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

EDIT: seems to be a problem with one of the suggested mods.

Edited by SirKeplan

FYI, checking RO was not un-graying "go to changes". I noticed TweakableEverything was listed as a conflict for it, so I uninstalled that, and was able to install RO just fine. But I would have expected better visibility on the conflict?

CKAN hangs when updating outer planets mod to the latest version. I believe I'm trying to update from beta 1.7 to release 1.7. All other mods update just fine.

Workaround was to just uninstall outer planets mod beta and install the new version. Bypassing the 'update' worked.

Edited by OddFunction

CKAN v1.6.23 aka Cassini-Huygens released

Changes since v1.6.22:

• [GUI/Feature] Mods can be exported in a variety of formats, including BBcode and markdown, from the File -> Export installed mods... menu (dbent)
  • [CmdLine/Bugfix] ckan install -c dies more elegantly when the specified file cannot be found. (RichardLake)
  • [CmdLine/Bugfix] Installs and other operations are now allowed on an inconsistent registry, provided they leave the registry in a consistent state at the end. This avoids "bricking" CKAN if manually installed mods are removed when other mods depend upon them (RichardLake).

Small bug found. Reproducing steps:

• Export installed files into .ckan file
  • Install some new mods(or not, whatever)
  • Export .ckan file again
  • Choose already existing filename from save dialog. CKAN properly asks are you sure to overwrite already existing file. Choose Yes, you are sure, old file is not needed anymore
  • Error - CKAN can't export mods because chosen export filename already exist

Otherwise, nice improvement, those BB list will come handy if someone want to list their installed mods, especialy troubleshooting some bug with conflicting mods.

CKAN hangs when updating outer planets mod to the latest version. I believe I'm trying to update from beta 1.7 to release 1.7. All other mods update just fine.

Workaround was to just uninstall outer planets mod beta and install the new version. Bypassing the 'update' worked.

Thanks, it's a known issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Small bug found. Reproducing steps:

• Export installed files into .ckan file
  • Install some new mods(or not, whatever)
  • Export .ckan file again
  • Choose already existing filename from save dialog. CKAN properly asks are you sure to overwrite already existing file. Choose Yes, you are sure, old file is not needed anymore
  • Error - CKAN can't export mods because chosen export filename already exist

Otherwise, nice improvement, those BB list will come handy if someone want to list their installed mods, especialy troubleshooting some bug with conflicting mods.

Looks like it's a pre-existing bug not related to the new export stuff (good, because that means it's not my fault). Should be easy enough to fix though.

Request: can you implement a "favourite" flag, or a personal note we can add to mods?

I frequently uninstall many mods to figure out which one is borking my install, and then I have to chase them all back. Keeping a spreadsheet of what I have installed is not fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, you just updated and have an export feature! Didn't see that, sorry.

So i can keep track of them now, but a 'favourite' flag would still be much appreciated ^^

I can no longer update mods. I can install just fine, but updates don't happen.

In system output is:

About to remove

Done!

And then nothing

Console output is:

6597 [1] WARN CKAN.URLHandlers (null) - Skipping URL handler: Parsing Error: Could not parse file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

(happens on startup, no message on update attempt).

Kubuntu 14.04.

Edit: and thanks to peopel who apparently already reported this and figured out a workaround.

It seems to hate firespitter.

What am I doing wrong?

About to remove:

Done!

About to install...

* Firespitter v7.1.3 (cached)

* FirespitterCore v7.1.3 (cached)

* FirespitterResourcesConfig v7.1.3 (cached)

Oh no!

It looks like you're trying to install a mod which is already installed,

or which conflicts with another mod which is already installed.

As a safety feature, the CKAN will *never* overwrite or alter a file

that it did not install itself.

If you wish to install Firespitter v7.1.3 via the CKAN,

then please manually uninstall the mod which owns:

GameData/Firespitter/Firespitterpartsguide_april28_2014.pdf

and try again.

Your GameData has been returned to its original state.

Error!

It seems to hate firespitter.

What am I doing wrong?

Try to choose only firespitter on install. That way firespitter mod will force install "core" part. If you choose both, firespitter and firespitter core then CKAN detect conflict like you described.

CKAN v1.8.1 aka "Aerospikier" released!

Changes since v1.8.1:

• [bugfix/Core] Fixed a bug where mods could conflict with themselves on upgrade.

Changes since 1.6.23:

• [Core/Feature] Relationships specific min/max versions of other modules will have those respected (RichardLake)
  • [Core/Bugfix] Mods with multiple licenses are correctly represented in the metadata and various displays (RichardLake)
  • [GUI/Speed] The GUI will no longer take an awfully long time to show the contents of large archives (RichardLake)
  • [GUI/Bugfix] The GUI is left in a more consistent state after cancelling a download (RichardLake)
  • [GUI/Bugfix] It's now possible to add mods to a changeset which conflict with presently installed mods, provided those presently installed mods are marked to be removed. (RichardLake)
  • [GUI/Feature] More dialog windows have CKAN branded icons (RichardLake)
  • [GUI/Bugfix] Installed mods without upstream metadata are now visible and uninstallable via the GUI (RIchardLake)
  • [GUI/Bugfix] More graceful handling of GUIconfig.xml errors (gjulianm)

Internal Changes:

• [NetKAN/Feature] NetKAN looks in more places for curl-ca bundles (dbent)
  • [NetKAN/Feature] NetKAN adds an x_screenshot field to the metadata where a KerbalStuff screenshot exists (RichardLake)
  • [NetKAN/Feature] NetKAN will populate the source repository field when such data exists on KerbalStuff (Daz)
  • [Core/Refactor] The relationship resolver has better structure, and can explain why a mod has been selected for install (RichardLake)
  • [Core/Testing] Better testing of .zip and .tar.gz metadata routines (mgsdk)

Note:

• Due to a change in the CKAN registry file format, you will not be able to move back to the 1.6.x releases after using this release.

Edited by pjf
Hotfixed to v1.8.1

Try to choose only firespitter on install. That way firespitter mod will force install "core" part. If you choose both, firespitter and firespitter core then CKAN detect conflict like you described.

Did that, but same thing.

I may already have a mod installed that uses the core or something. Is there anyway to set Ckan to override my mod folder and take control of the mods? (I tried the alpha version converter that is still in development, but that just gave me issues.)

Edit: or at the very least is there a way to make it rescan for mods so I can start with a clean mod folder?

I got a weird error when trying to install/update remotetech.

$ ./ckan.exe install RemoteTech

Unhandled Exception:
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,CKAN.CkanModule].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.ResolveStanza (IEnumerable`1 stanza, CKAN.SelectionReason reason, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, Boolean soft_resolve) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.Resolve (CKAN.CkanModule module, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.AddModulesToInstall (IEnumerable`1 modules) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver..ctor (IEnumerable`1 modules, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.Registry registry, CKAN.KSPVersion kspversion) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver..ctor (IEnumerable`1 module_names, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.Registry registry, CKAN.KSPVersion kspversion) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 modules, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader downloader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.CmdLine.Install.RunCommand (CKAN.KSP ksp, System.Object raw_options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,CKAN.CkanModule].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.ResolveStanza (IEnumerable`1 stanza, CKAN.SelectionReason reason, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, Boolean soft_resolve) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.Resolve (CKAN.CkanModule module, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver.AddModulesToInstall (IEnumerable`1 modules) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver..ctor (IEnumerable`1 modules, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.Registry registry, CKAN.KSPVersion kspversion) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.RelationshipResolver..ctor (IEnumerable`1 module_names, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.Registry registry, CKAN.KSPVersion kspversion) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 modules, CKAN.RelationshipResolverOptions options, CKAN.NetAsyncDownloader downloader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.CmdLine.Install.RunCommand (CKAN.KSP ksp, System.Object raw_options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CKAN.CmdLine.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The same thing happened when I tried it on a fresh instance of KSP.

I'm getting errors here as well, reporting a missing assembly (maybe there is a dependency on a .NET component that wasn't there before).

Whenever I try to mark a mod for install or upgrade, I get a very nice exception in my face:

MYy0JKI.png

Does not seem to be mod dependent (happens when I select any mod).