The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

3 hours ago, Winderfo said:

I have been using CKAN for a while and I think that an useful feature could be to have the "likes" from Curse or whatever mods repository, in order to filter them for "most popular", "most valuable"... etc.

We might be able to get that from Spacedock, but I don't know how we would include Github or Curse data.

1 minute ago, politas said:

We might be able to get that from Spacedock, but I don't know how we would include Github or Curse data.

You can definitely get download count for a particular file through the Github API.  Whether or not that's what you would want here is a different question.

Just now, blowfish said:

You can definitely get download count for a particular file through the Github API.  Whether or not that's what you would want here is a different question.

It's certainly not a like-for-like comparison to mods marked as favourites.

Getting back into KSP with 1.1 now that most of the mods I used to use are updated. However, I've noticed that when using ckan to enable all these mods (which are all listed as up to date now) I'm getting crashes right away in the VAB. Trying to narrow down which of the 40 or so mods is causing this is proving to be a headache. Is there a simple way to narrow down the culprit, or am I going to have to start from vanilla and add them one at a time to figure out what mod is causing trouble? That could take a while, especially since some bugs may not show up just from loading the game.

1 hour ago, Recon777 said:

Getting back into KSP with 1.1 now that most of the mods I used to use are updated. However, I've noticed that when using ckan to enable all these mods (which are all listed as up to date now) I'm getting crashes right away in the VAB. Trying to narrow down which of the 40 or so mods is causing this is proving to be a headache. Is there a simple way to narrow down the culprit, or am I going to have to start from vanilla and add them one at a time to figure out what mod is causing trouble? That could take a while, especially since some bugs may not show up just from loading the game.

Basically, yes. I'd recommend removing one mod at a time until you are back to vanilla (or the reverse, starting with vanilla and adding mods one at a time; doesn't really matter which). Are you using Exception Detector? If you're getting CTDs it might not help but it's worth a shot.

1 hour ago, Goat Master said:

When I tried to run CKAN on Mac, it said that I can't run a Windows application on Mac, but I was sure to get the latest version (Plasma Window). Am I missing something or am I just being dumb?

Did you follow the entire guide?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to the original reason I'm posting. The metadata for JPLRepo's Endurance mod hasn't been updated correctly. Is this something that requires the Netkan bot to get its ass kicked in gear, or should I create a new metadata file (in the same folder I linked to, obviously) for it in the CKAN-meta repository?

11 hours ago, phoenix_ca said:

Now, to the original reason I'm posting. The metadata for JPLRepo's Endurance mod hasn't been updated correctly. Is this something that requires the Netkan bot to get its ass kicked in gear, or should I create a new metadata file (in the same folder I linked to, obviously) for it in the CKAN-meta repository?

That metadata link you gave is to a previous commit branch, not the master. v1.0.0.0 is already up in CKAN, though there are some new recommendations and other changes I can see in the forum thread that I'm adding here. For reference, we don't add extra Netkans, we modify the existing ones in order to update a mod's details.

Deadly Reentry is on version 7.4.5 now, but CKAN only seems to be offering 7.4.4

Kerbal Inventory System is on version 1.2.10, but CKAN has 1.2.9

Both of these are hosted on Github, which means they don't get updated on CKAN automatically, right?

Never mind. Forgot I need to hit refresh when switching between installs in CKAN. Everything's kopasetic.

Edited by UnanimousCoward

22 minutes ago, UnanimousCoward said:

Deadly Reentry is on version 7.4.5 now, but CKAN only seems to be offering 7.4.4

Kerbal Inventory System is on version 1.2.10, but CKAN has 1.2.9

Both of these are hosted on Github, which means they don't get updated on CKAN automatically, right?

CKAN has the metadata for both new versions, and it looks fine to me.  Have you refreshed CKAN recently?

Edited by blowfish

Just now, blowfish said:

CKAN has the metadata for both, and it looks fine to me.  Have you refreshed CKAN recently?

Yeah, had a d'oh moment. Had already edited my post to reflect my idiocy before you responded. But thanks for taking the time to be kind to the hard of thinking.

4 hours ago, politas said:

That metadata link you gave is to a previous commit branch, not the master. v1.0.0.0 is already up in CKAN, though there are some new recommendations and other changes I can see in the forum thread that I'm adding here. For reference, we don't add extra Netkans, we modify the existing ones in order to update a mod's details.

I see the problem now. That new file for v1.0.0.0 wasn't created until 4 hours ago. At the time I was posting, it didn't exist, which is why it wasn't showing-up in CKAN.

4 hours ago, phoenix_ca said:

I see the problem now. That new file for v1.0.0.0 wasn't created until 4 hours ago. At the time I was posting, it didn't exist, which is why it wasn't showing-up in CKAN.

Actually, it got replaced 9 hours ago. There was already a copy up. Your link, as I said, was to an old commit (thus the big hexadecimal string in the URL)

Edited by politas

4 hours ago, politas said:

Actually, it got replaced 9 hours ago. There was already a copy up. Your link, as I said, was to an old commit (thus the big hexadecimal string in the URL)

So created was the wrong word. It was still out-of-date until your commit. Why are we arguing about this?

Edit: I'm adding more to the adding-a-mod guide to the wiki. The way it's written it's too easy to think that CKAN-meta is where new .netkans should be added, not NetKAN (that's what I thought; I read through the submitting portion too fast, evidently).

Edited by phoenix_ca

Is there possibility to add mod update date in CKAN and ability sort by that date? Because now it's hard to find out which mods got updates, well, some of them go to "New in repository" even if they got updated from 1.0.5 to 1.1.2, but not all of them.

And AmpYear ResearchBodies and Real Scale Boosters got updates.

20 hours ago, LordAssault said:

Is there possibility to add mod update date in CKAN and ability sort by that date? Because now it's hard to find out which mods got updates, well, some of them go to "New in repository" even if they got updated from 1.0.5 to 1.1.2, but not all of them.

And AmpYear ResearchBodies and Real Scale Boosters got updates.

The NetKAN bot that generates metadata for new versions is encountering errors. Not sure why but there's an issue about this on GitHub.

In the mean time, if you're really hankering to get a hold of those updates, you can try creating netkan files locally and generate CKAN files using netkan.exe . Use the metadata files here as a guide.

Issue fixed. See the issue linked in the strikethrough text above.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Hey! :)

I'm new to CKAN, but i like it very very much! :)

But:

Is it possible to add Kethane 0.9.6 (for KSP 1.1.2) to CKAN?

Because there is only the 0.9.4 Version for KSP 1.0.5 on CKAN. :(

And taniwha said here "[1.1,2] Kethane Plugin and Parts 0.9.6 (new maintainer)" :

3 hours ago, taniwha said:

I never put anything on CKAN, not my "job". Talk to the person who put Kethane on CKAN in the first place.

Thanks and have fun.

N3N 

23 hours ago, N3N said:

Hey! :)

I'm new to CKAN, but i like it very very much! :)

But:

Is it possible to add Kethane 0.9.6 (for KSP 1.1.2) to CKAN?

Because there is only the 0.9.4 Version for KSP 1.0.5 on CKAN. :(

Thanks and have fun.

N3N 

Glad you like it!

Kethane is one of the mods that we can't auto-index, so we rely on reports such as yours to get new versions listed. It should be available soon.

Thanks for helping make CKAN better!

On 6/4/2016 at 9:19 PM, N3N said:

I find that alot of developers are incredibly hostile towards CKAN

Statements like "Not my job" and the like are pretty negative thinking, considering what CKAN does for these mod devs. You'd figure a dev could work with the CKAN team to at least let them index updates for the mod automatically.

On to my actual question, is there a way to remove the dependency of TweakScale from KSPIE? The mod is a mess of bugs and problems and is not actually needed to run the mod.

11 minutes ago, Sherrif said:

I find that alot of developers are incredibly hostile towards CKAN

Statements like "Not my job" and the like are pretty negative thinking, considering what CKAN does for these mod devs. You'd figure a dev could work with the CKAN team to at least let them index updates for the mod automatically.

On to my actual question, is there a way to remove the dependency of TweakScale from KSPIE? The mod is a mess of bugs and problems and is not actually needed to run the mod.

I would say taniwha is neutral and uninterested, rather than hostile, from that post. Some modders have legitimate complaints about CKAN (which I think they give too much weight to, compared to CKAN's benefits), and some modders seem to have an irrational dislike of the entire concept.

As for KSPIE, the Forum thread OP is pretty clear that Tweakscale is required. You could create a customised .ckan file with a slightly different identifier to change that if you want to, but we're not going to second-guess the mod author when such a clear statement has been made. Convince the mod author to change it, and we will, too.

3 hours ago, Adarsh said:

How can I make My Mod available on CKAN?:confused:

Follow this guide. Since your mod is uploaded to SpaceDock, making a metadata file is relatively straightforward, and you shouldn't need to update it again once it's been merged. (Don't worry about doing it wrong or breaking anything. The files all get vetted before they're added. Probably by @politas . :) )

Edited by phoenix_ca

8 hours ago, politas said:

Glad you like it!

Kethane is one of the mods that we can't auto-index, so we rely on reports such as yours to get new versions listed. It should be available soon.

Thanks for helping make CKAN better!

Hey politas, :)

Thank you for your good work! :)

It's my pleasure to help you and the KSP community! :wink:

Is it better to write it in this thread, when there are new versions of mods or new mods at all or what is the better/faster way to help you?

Thanks and have fun.

N3N 

9 hours ago, Sherrif said:

@FreeThinker's reasoning as to why TweakScale is required for KSPI-E is here.

The below is out-of-scope for this thread but I'm replying here anyway since it may solve the @Sherrif's issue.

One option would be to scrub your data directory of mentions of TweakScale, except for in the WarpPlugin folder. That's...uh...not very practical. I have a heavily-modded game and a search for "TweakScale" in the GameData directory with Notepad++ returned a colossal 277 files. Once you realize that editing/deleting these can cause issues with CKAN when you want to update mods this can become very tedious very quickly.

Soooo, Module Manager to the rescue, I think. What would be nice is if MM exposed which mod initially added a part. Then this could be very, very straight-forward. Instead I think you need a wild-card and leverage how model paths are declared. Each part in KSPI-E should have a MODEL node with a model variable whose value starts with "WarpPlugin". So I assume a .cfg patch with this in it will work by removing the TweakScale module from any part whose model isn't in the WarpPlugin directory:

@PART[*]:HAS[ @MODULE[TweakScale] & !@MODEL[*]:HAS[ #model[WarpPlugin*] ] ]:FINAL
{
    -MODULE[TweakScale] {}
}

Haven't tried it myself so no guarantees. There also appear to be some mods that have added TweakScale modules to their parts using the :FINAL keyword which is bad news. The one I noticed doing this is Dr. Jet's Chop Shop (and from what I can tell, it doesn't need to, nor should it, as plenty of other mods add TweakScale modules without abusing :FINAL).

I'm not sure what will happen in that case. I have no idea how Module Manager handles multiple :FINAL declarations, especially if their operations are competing. One will be adding a TweakScale module and the other will be removing it. Worst case each part randomly either does or doesn't get a TweakScale module when there is a conflict.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

51 minutes ago, N3N said:

Is it better to write it in this thread, when there are new versions of mods or new mods at all or what is the better/faster way to help you?

If you're up for it you can make pull requests to update the .netkan files themselves on the GitHub repo. If you're only editing one file it's very simple to do this through the web interface.

Edited by phoenix_ca