Jump to content

The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]


Recommended Posts

I think the discussion about the "my MOD is here, why it's here, don't want it to be here for... god knows" it's the main issue right now so we with those errors in the datarow or something and the exceptions are out of luck. =(

Specially since none is able to reproduce the errors on their end. It just happens, continuously, to a lot of us but none with knowledge of what to do to fix it. =( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2016 at 9:25 AM, Rabid_Monkey said:

Now I'm not sure if this is the place to request a feature, but would it be possible for you to add a "favorite" marker for a particular mod?

This has be requested a few times. I have not had a chance to look it up the official issue request but I am pretty sure it is in there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2016 at 10:32 AM, kcs123 said:

On top of that, it could be a good advice for steam users to create a copy of stock game elswhere and put mods in that new instance of KSP.
Otherwise, when KSP updates, steam users might end with new version of KSP and with old, probably broken mods. That will lead to create a lot of false positive bug reports too.

Was just discussing this with a buddy, and iirc there's some annoying tinkering you need to do to make secondary installations of steam games, as the steam exe's are different from the game's usual exe's. 

as a potential bypass to that problem (since there will always be some users who find any type of file management impossible), i'd like to make a feature suggestion (of course!): A "Disable Mods" button that uninstalls all (or maybe just selected) mods without removing them from the list of installed mods. Alternatively, a "(De)Select All" button in combination with the already requested Favorite button. Functionally, the idea is to let users keep track of "their" mods while also having those mods uninstalled. Sure, you can use the import/export function, but that's predicated on having had the mod installed previously, so it can be easy to miss newly updated mods. 

Just some ideas. Hope they haven't been beaten to death already; I'm only just getting back into KSP after a really, really long hiatus, so I've missed a LOT of what's happened lately. 

 

Anyway, thanks for all the good work!

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, NateDaBeast said:

So is CKAN dead now or what ??

Oh no it's all fine now you'll find the gist of the story back reading this thread, but in the end is just a few policy changes that few users would really notice. @politas will make a write up of the whole incident when the new thread goes up 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, loppnessmonsta said:

Was just discussing this with a buddy, and iirc there's some annoying tinkering you need to do to make secondary installations of steam games, as the steam exe's are different from the game's usual exe's. 

I don't know about other Steam games, but KSP is actually quite simple to make copies of. Simply copy the whole KSP folder to a new location. The folder itself (in my installation, anyway) has 3 exe files. A 64 bit, a 32 bit, and a launcher. I always just make a shortcut to the 64 bit one. I usually keep a couple of different installations on my computer in this way (for when you want different combinations of mods).

Link to post
Share on other sites

It says all my versions of KSP are invalid but they all have game data folders and readmes! XC

ARRG! I'm teriible with files that's why i think the mod is so cool! :(:( 

Edited by Planetfall
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Merkov said:

I don't know about other Steam games, but KSP is actually quite simple to make copies of. Simply copy the whole KSP folder to a new location. The folder itself (in my installation, anyway) has 3 exe files. A 64 bit, a 32 bit, and a launcher. I always just make a shortcut to the 64 bit one. I usually keep a couple of different installations on my computer in this way (for when you want different combinations of mods).

Exactly. Unlike other steam games, KSP have not any DRM protection, so you can create as many copies on your HDD as you need. In my personal opinion, SQUAD has made a right choice with this. Instead of spending money and time on expencive copy protection, they have put more effort to create good quality game and better relationship with community. There is still room for improvement on both, but I doubt that their sales suffered due to that decision. Contrary, it should be a good example, not only for indie developers, but for some more famous companies too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Planetfall said:

It says all my versions of KSP are invalid but they all have game data folders and readmes! XC

ARRG! I'm teriible with files that's why i think the mod is so cool! :(:( 

I think you might need a BuildID.txt as well.  CKAN was updated to look at it very recently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem, a fresh install, the buildid.txt is there, readme is there, though there is no version number in it, all verified from steam, nothing else installed yet.  Any help would be great!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoridinUK said:

I have the same problem, a fresh install, the buildid.txt is there, readme is there, though there is no version number in it, all verified from steam, nothing else installed yet.  Any help would be great!

 

As for readme file, you can always put your own line anywhere in readme like this:

Version 1.1.3

Can't tell much about buildID.txt and buildID64.txt, values might be different on steam vs stock game, someone from SQUAD have to tell more about it, how it is handled.

Try with readme file trick first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, that didn't work.  I have the game installed to my ssd c drive in a steam library there.  Ckan didn't find it.

I asked it to open the KSP directory and it opened the KSP directory under steamapps on my H drive, where steam is installed,  There are some directories there but not the game.

If I copy the readme, and buildid, it finds the install.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey,

I've played with a modded version of KSP for a long time and now i wanted to try realism overhaul. Thing is, it doesn't show up in CKAN and all the tutorials explain the install through ckan.

What am I doing wrong? I'm using the default repository and i remember that I've seen realism overhaul in my ckan list in the past. Any suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Raspen said:

Hey,

I've played with a modded version of KSP for a long time and now i wanted to try realism overhaul. Thing is, it doesn't show up in CKAN and all the tutorials explain the install through ckan.

What am I doing wrong? I'm using the default repository and i remember that I've seen realism overhaul in my ckan list in the past. Any suggestions?

Gotta merge this thread with CKAN thread actually :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-06-25 at 2:05 AM, kcs123 said:

Something went wrong on your end if for others works just fine. As much as I was able to understand, error poped up when CKAN tried to populate grid with data from metafile list or something.

You should try to wipe out everything in CKAN folder except "download" folder, to ensure you don't have to download everything again. Also you should wipe out everything but SQUAD folder in gamedata folder, to ensure that you will be able to install mods again trough CKAN.

After that, run everything again. Just for safety reason, you should backup everything outside KSP folder (deleted files in CKAN and gamedata folder) before you try mentioned.

Thanks for the advice, which I followed, however I still get the same error.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Thanks for the advice, which I followed, however I still get the same error.

Don't know how to help you further. I just did a clean install of KSP, just copied "settings.cfg" from 1.1.2. install and run a stock game once, to allow KSP to populate any other configs if missed.

After that, i copied CKAN.exe into KSP folder and run CKAN, allowed to check for updates on both, ckan adn metaq repository. After that, i choose some of my favorite mod and with dependency it was around 27 mods. I even got 2-3 errors on download, due to github hickup, but afer repeating install, even those are sucessfuly downloaded and installed.

I tried to mess around with filters (compatible/incompatible/installed/all) and with search option, I was unable to produce the same error as you have described.

Many others also didn't have any issues at all, so it must be something on your end that mismatch configuration that other players use.
That could be UAC for install folder, version on .NET if you are on windows, or something entierly else.

Please note, I'm not involved in CKAN development, I'm just trying to help you as one user to another.

Only thing that pops on my mind that you can try to copy clean KSP install outside of Program files folder, for example in C:\KSP\ or some other drive where you have enough HDD space. Other than that I have a litlle clue why you got errors while for others works just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Don't know how to help you further.

6 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Please note, I'm not involved in CKAN development, I'm just trying to help you as one user to another.

Noted, and thanks very much for trying.  Since it is a reproducible CKAN crash and I posted the trace, I was hoping for a dev to chime in.  Not your problem.

6 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Many others also didn't have any issues at all, so it must be something on your end that mismatch configuration that other players use.

Completely agree.  This is often the case, isn't it? :(

6 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Only thing that pops on my mind that you can try to copy clean KSP install outside of Program files folder, for example in C:\KSP\ or some other drive where you have enough HDD space.

In the absence of anything else, I'll give this a try when my mods are all updated to 1.1.3. The error is not critical since sorting on any other header works fine and I can work around the problem when I need to.  Ignoring the error and allowing CKAN to continue seems to have no negative consequences so it's pretty much an annoyance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To ANYONE experiencing the damn exception errors.... check if you have installed the UNMANNED BEFORE MANNED mod. 

*SOMEHOW* that particular MOD is the one causing all those errors to me. 

I tried one by one all mods, and that one in particular, once removed, "fixed" everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2016 at 5:42 PM, baldamundo said:

Most of RoverDude's mods (UKS, Survival Pack, etc) seem to have disappeared from CKAN?

Yes, RoverDude has often expressed disdain for CKAN, and near as I can tell from this is that he has requested that his mods be removed. It's a new policy of the CKAN folks to remove a mod if the author wishes it.

If you want to continue using his mods you'll have to install them manually it looks like, at least for now. Good luck keeping them updated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2016 at 5:42 PM, baldamundo said:

Most of RoverDude's mods (UKS, Survival Pack, etc) seem to have disappeared from CKAN?

 

56 minutes ago, OldLost said:

Yes, RoverDude has often expressed disdain for CKAN, and near as I can tell from this is that he has requested that his mods be removed. It's a new policy of the CKAN folks to remove a mod if the author wishes it.

If you want to continue using his mods you'll have to install them manually it looks like, at least for now. Good luck keeping them updated.

RoverDude had a specific objection to CKAN's policies, but that has since been addressed.  In any case, the metadata is still there.  @baldamundo could you provide more information about what version of KSP you're on and what mods you already have installed?  And be sure to refresh CKAN - it's easy to forget that the metadata might not be up to date if you leave it open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, blowfish said:

 

RoverDude had a specific objection to CKAN's policies, but that has since been addressed.  In any case, the metadata is still there.  @baldamundo could you provide more information about what version of KSP you're on and what mods you already have installed?  And be sure to refresh CKAN - it's easy to forget that the metadata might not be up to date if you leave it open.

1.1.3. A few have reappeared (USI Tools, Regolith, Open Resource System Fork, Sounding Rockets, Community Resource Pack, Asteroid Day, Firespitter Core and Warp Drive), but things like UKS, Exploration Pack, Survival Pack etc are still missing. As for which mods I have installed...err, frankly too many to list, but the above aren't even showing up in the "Incompatible" list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...