[1.3] Pilot Assistant: Atmospheric piloting aids - 1.13.2 (May 28)

Crzyrndm

Thanks for the mod - when it's working it's awesome.

I do have a problem though, I can get logs but thought you might recognize the symptoms / description. I have a craft that is piloted from a command chair and have command pod for launch, sometimes I had TakeCommand mod present but was not using it. The pilot EVAs the pod and climbs into the chair and the pod is staged away. At this point I prepare for liftoff - on some runs it's perfect, on some it's like PA is 'dead', even inhibiting me using S to lift the nose, then as I reach the ocean (from KSP) the PA window disappears and S still doesn't work. I looked in ksp.log and don't see anything PA until much later when I stage, except for some non PA specific 'debris cleanup' that might be when the window disappeared. What do you think?

Does PA attach to a particular part (e.g. the pod that gets dumped and cleaned up?) that might explain non responsiveness and disappearing. Will it use a cmd chair? any way to make it use the currently present 'root most' part? Is there any way I can 'trick' it to use the part I want via build order in the SPH or something? leave the pod on a launch clamp? (maybe that won't help with non responsiveness) I'll play around some more - but I hope you can point me straight at the solution. Thanks.

Turns out the PA window was 'for' the staged away cmd pod - but I can work around it.

I found if I did: EVA, board chair, stage away pod, switch to pod, recover pod, go to flight on the runway - then I'd get a working perfectly PA window 'for' the cmd chair (oh probably the probe core I'd selected for 'control from here' cmd chair orientation is 'wrong'). So it can acquire the right thing to be 'for', it just has trouble noticing that the current 'target' has been staged away.

I think I saw someone with a similar issue a few pages earlier - one plane towing another and releasing. Probably the little one that's released has a PA that is 'for' the big one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to learn how to use this, and am having problems.

On at least one plane,I start on the runway, and set the altitude to about 2000, speed to 150 and direction to 90.  It starts (once I stage the engines), brings the engines to full speed, but about 1/2 way down the runway, and before it is even at the target speed, it cuts the throttle.

no messages show up.

I also tried getting this plane to altitude and then engaging, but it would set the thhrottle to 0

Any idea what I should be looking for?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

With the runway one, it may have overshot its internal target speed (which it would have tried to shift smoothly from 0 to the new target). Did it set the UI target to zero? Did you try leaving it for a bit? Not quite sure what would be happening in the aerial startup one.

If you open the tab labelled speed, there should be a readout in there with its internal target speed.  What is that doing when this happens?

• 3 weeks later...
On 16 August 2016 at 1:36 AM, theonegalen said:

I just started to have problems with the mod set to "wings level" causing it to roll back and forth until it crashed. It even worked before on the same plane. Ugh.

I suspect this is because PAs roll autopilot is reversed. I noticed this when I was pressing right and the plane started rolling left. If you change the roll by putting in a new number, it will roll all the way to the opposite side (where it should have rolled to in the first place) and then slowly roll to the (opposite) selected bank.

Also, I found a probably cause for the issue I posted above. I suspect PA or KSP is being stuck in 'ground mode'. I get similar reactions when on the ground and the camera shake is from driving on the ground (found out by debug menu).

And... Heading gets confused when it has to pass through 0 degrees.

And... I suspect Dir mode is broken as the number change way too quickly. Although the last one may just be me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2014 at 4:20 AM, Crzyrndm said:

I prefer the stock applauncher because there is no requirements for anything else. Being able to switch to blizzy's would be a long way down any feature list I was to draw up (another mod or two to get to feature complete first...).

I realize this was quite awhile ago, but have you gotten the chance to reconsider blizzy's support/integration? I apologize in advance if this has been readdressed throughout the thread. I tried to read through it, but it is quite a long read. Standard internet laziness on my part.

Also, quite separately, have you considered altering the colors of the engaged vs disengaged buttons? About one of the only things I can speak with any semblance of professional authority on this forum is aviation. I did find it odd that the autopilot functions not engaged was emerald/green and autopilot functions engaged were red. This seems counterintuitive to me and opposite of the way generally aviation works with respect to colors. Typically red = bad; green = good. Just a thought.

Cheers,

The problem with 2 year old posts is that they're generally old info. Blizzy's toolbar has been supported for quite a while (it just has to be enabled in the settings file)

Re colour scheme: Red = Go, Green = Stop. Obviously I'm a genius... (more seriously, now that you point it out it's ever so slightly irritating :confused:)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, emfleck said:

Love this mod.  My planes are grounded until 1.2 update.  :-p  Thanks for keeping me flying (better than I could do on my own).

There's Atmosphere Autopilot there, it is updated and could help you. I rather prefer to use PA, but while it's not there, AA does the trick.

On 10/14/2016 at 5:05 AM, Crzyrndm said:

Will have to be tomorrow for a release. There's a build of PA and Dynamic Controls on github, but both have a few minor things I'd still like to fix

Thank you for the update!  :-)  Awesome sauce

On 10/1/2016 at 8:36 PM, Crzyrndm said:

The problem with 2 year old posts is that they're generally old info. Blizzy's toolbar has been supported for quite a while (it just has to be enabled in the settings file)

I took a look at the settings config. Do you just set UseStockToolbar to equal False? Or do you have to input something else to enable Toolbar? I'm afraid if I set it to false, it will disappear altogether. I did see the Blizzy's icon bit at the bottom of the config file though.

@Crzyrndm Upon adding Contract Configurator, the app icon disappeared for Pilot Assistant, rendering the mod unusable (for me). Found this from Nightingale:

Something to do with a bug in 1.2 and wrappers. Modder stuff. Way over my head. I'm lucky if I can put together a decent MM patch.

Cheers, 

Edited by Stratickus

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 11:20 AM, Skalou said:

and i have the icon apparing where it shouldn't too,

gWnPRVK.png

maybe the same thing as this mod?

I too am getting this. Also, it would appear with every scene change a new app icon appears. I had over ten. I think this is part of the 1.2.1 update.

Cheers,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.