[1.3] Pilot Assistant: Atmospheric piloting aids - 1.13.2 (May 28)

Crzyrndm

@Crzyrndm today I tried to use Pilot Assistant with a stock turboprop plane, but it didn't work at all, it just locked me out of my own steering input. All I wanted it to do was give me a straight and steady 0.5m/s climbrate :( Turboprops depends on physical interaction (wahey! :wink:) between two crafts to work, so CoT/CoM/CoL are all misrepresented by their indicators (cos they only account for one component craft without the weight/lift/thrust of the other). Would that be affecting Pilot Assistant somehow? Any workaround you can suggest?

Edited by The_Rocketeer

PA only depends on the flight characteristics (heading, vertical speed, etc.) of the vessel, so it should handle a seperated vessel component without issue. It *may* be attempting to control the incorrect vessel in which case switching vessels to the other vessel and then back again should rectify the issue (when you switch, PA defaults to controlling the vessel you switched to).

Otherwise, I'm going to need more information.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to make sure that the Asst. window can't be dragged offscreen?

I just had to restart my game after editing the mod's settings file to put it back onscreen;
I'd apparently grabbed hold of the window when turning my camera and flung it way off to -1000x -1000y.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently downloaded this mod as well as dynamic deflection, and tested them out yesterday. Yaw and Roll, Pitch, and Throttle Control all worked perfectly (maintained pitch, speed, and level flight). I started up KSP today and wanted to try and see if the pilot assistant would work after I decoupled a smaller aircraft from a larger one. I took off and then once at altitude turned on the PA to maintain altitude, speed, and bank (level flight), which it did perfectly. 

Then I decoupled the docking port holding both craft together, switched craft from the mother ship to the small aircraft, and tried to edit speed and altitude inputs. PA however did not alter any control surfaces or the throttle. I turned PA off and then saw the mother ship go into a hard left bank and dive, so I reverted to the SPH. Figuring that PA couldn't work with one craft becoming two, I decided to fly another plane. Before takeoff I set Yaw and Roll to hold level. As my wheels lifted off the runway, without any keyboard input from me, the ailerons deflected and I went into a hard right roll. I then tried again with PA Yaw and Roll control turned off and the same thing happened.

I uninstalled both Pilot Assistant and Dynamic Deflection, launched the game, took off in the second aircraft, and everything flew normally. I then reinstalled Pilot Assistant and Dynamic Deflection. I attempted to take off without any of the PA aids on, but when my wheels left the ground I went into a hard right bank just like before.

I really would like to fix this because it was working beautifully yesterday. Any advice on how to fix this would be wonderful. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

@HadrianRomulus

Apologies for the (very) late reply. Hectic few months and a bit of burnout have not kept KSP at the top of my todo list. Latest release of dynamic deflection should resolve the roll issues and I will be looking into the vessel management code shortly (in the meantime, you can probably fix this issue by switching away from the seperated vessel and then back quickly. The core issue is that it's giving you the UI for the incorrect vessel after separation)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing some testing of this plugin with my install. (steam master: 01622 2016.12.06) 

I can report that at least the time of my testing, that the plugin works. However I have noticed that some of the controls do not work. The biggest at the moment is the "Lock Keyboard Input". Could be my machine, 
KSP AVC and Ckan wouldn't let me install the plugin FYI, needed to download the lastest from Github. 

23 hours ago, S.C.E to AUX said:

I have been doing some testing of this plugin with my install. (steam master: 01622 2016.12.06) 

I can report that at least the time of my testing, that the plugin works. However I have noticed that some of the controls do not work. The biggest at the moment is the "Lock Keyboard Input". Could be my machine, 
KSP AVC and Ckan wouldn't let me install the plugin FYI, needed to download the lastest from Github. 

You can use "Settings - Compatible KSP Versions" in recent CKAN versions to allow it to install mods like this that have not been marked as compatible with the latest version. Very useful for minor KSP version bumps. If anyone else can report successful testing, I'll put in a version override to extend Pilot Assistant to 1.2.2

• 1 month later...

I guess the Dynamic Controls mod confuses Pilot Assistent to a level ... it's hard to achieve the cruise altitude when the dynamic pressure is high and so the deflection is low ... many oversteering rounds.

As you maintain both mods, how about a cooperation of them? Data sharing?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 5:02 PM, Gordon Dry said:

I guess the Dynamic Controls mod confuses Pilot Assistent to a level ... it's hard to achieve the cruise altitude when the dynamic pressure is high and so the deflection is low ... many oversteering rounds.

As you maintain both mods, how about a cooperation of them? Data sharing?

Sounds like you need to do some tuning of the various parameters

• 2 weeks later...

"Look Mommy, I can fly!"

Auto Cruise for planes, all I needed to be happy during those long flights on Kerbin. Flying with keyboard is tedious enough without having to babysit every minute during the cruise phase of an hour long flight!

All that is left to do is for me not to mess up the landings. :D

Sorry to see you go, but I know the feeling!  I've taken long breaks myself... maybe you'll find your way back eventually.

I'm happy to do a bit of babysitting on Pilot Assistant - at least recompiling against game updates...     until someone else comes along with more time to do more with it. 

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, stuChris said:

Even without the maintaining of this mod, i do have some questions for anyone who still uses it, is it possible to use this to make an aircraft land on its own? and also, to set an aircraft to go to certain coords?

No, this is just a simple autopilot.

2 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

But it doesn't do waypoints or anything approximating a descent to the runway.

never said anything about the runway, im talking about just landing anywhere (well, anywhere flat anyway) ive almost achieved it, but the landing gear on the plane im using is too low, so its definitely possible

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.