[1.3] Pilot Assistant: Atmospheric piloting aids - 1.13.2 (May 28)

Crzyrndm

coluld you be any change change the pause button to the ~ key? or at least add an option for it? I'm on a mac and therefore have to use tab for fine controll. (caps lock is reserved by the OS.)

I'm sorry if it has been asked before, but how is it possible to increase the turn rate when turning to a certain heading?

Increase the bank limit something like 45° to 60° is more sensible. As for the response rate, you have to tweak the PID stuff, lately its been really sluggish to start making turns, but tweaking this helps.

coluld you be any change change the pause button to the ~ key? or at least add an option for it? I'm on a mac and therefore have to use tab for fine controll. (caps lock is reserved by the OS.)

Agree on this, also TAb is used for improved chase camera, keys are very confusing with KSP mods. but dont use the ~ key no, it causes trouble in non-american keyboards.

Agree on this, also TAb is used for improved chase camera, keys are very confusing with KSP mods. but dont use the ~ key no, it causes trouble in non-american keyboards.

does ksp allow you to add controls to its keybinding list? if so, how hard would it be to add controls for this mod to the list? if not, is a keybind.cfg out of the question?

Edit: also, in response to some of the other requests on this page, would it be to much to ask to have a control panel with key binds, maneuver limits and other things on there? (by maneuver limits i mean things like turn rate, max rate of climb, ETC.)

Edited by toric5

Sounds like I need to make keybindings my next development priority

Increase the bank limit something like 45° to 60° is more sensible. As for the response rate, you have to tweak the PID stuff, lately its been really sluggish to start making turns, but tweaking this helps.

Maximum turn rate: Bank limit and/or add some Kp to the yaw control (by default it is holding the yaw to 0 degrees for maximum stability, changing Kp 0 => 0.2 on default settings will use up to 2 degrees of yaw depending on how far you are turning)

The greater the bank angle you allow the faster it will turn, but the vertical controls will have significantly reduced authority. It defaults to a low value so that barely stable planes don't go into a nosedive when turning

Turn in Rate: Increase "Easing" under the limits of the Heading controller

Easing is "the rate of acceleration of the changing setpoint". The default 1.0 means after 1 second the setpoint will be changing 1 degree per second, 2 degrees per second after 2 seconds, etc. This allows the gradual roll in rather than a rather jerky movements that resulted when the change was instantaneous. Easing only has an effect on the controller receiving the setpoint, it is disabled for all controllers cascading off that one.

Edited by Crzyrndm

Agree on [ changing key for pause function ], also TAb is used for improved chase camera, keys are very confusing with KSP mods. but dont use the ~ key no, it causes trouble in non-american keyboards.

I dealt with both Improved Chase Camera and Pilot Assistant using Tab by changing Improve Chase Camera's config (in settings.cfg) to use the ~ key ("primary = BackQuote"), but that works for me because as an English-speaking Canadian I have an American-layout keyboard.

Definitely a bad idea to use keys that commonly aren't the same across keyboard standards. Perhaps the best thing would be for Pilot Assistant to have a config file where control are mapped to keystrokes. Found this source for Unity key names which is where I got the name 'BackQuote'.

Version 1.8.0

• Added Radar altitude mode to vertical control
  • Fixed craft trim being affected while Pilot Assistant systems engaged
  • Removed [Modifier]+X action
  • Some UI changes to make options faster to access (I need to make some proper icons for these...)

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps the best thing would be for Pilot Assistant to have a config file where control are mapped to keystrokes.
Sounds like I need to make keybindings my next development priority

Already planned ;)

I can't for the life of me figure out how to increase the bank limit... I might be missing something..

Version 1.8.0

• Added Radar altitude mode to vertical control
  • Fixed craft trim being affected while Pilot Assistant systems engaged
  • Removed [Modifier]+X action
  • Some UI changes to make options faster to access (I need to make some proper icons for these...)

Awesome Cheers!!! :cool:

I can't for the life of me figure out how to increase the bank limit... I might be missing something..

In the Assistant window, in the options check Pid "limits", then open the heading options, in the right column there should be "Max bank" (or something like that, its the first value).

Good news I've solved the very finnicky wobble with altitude/vertical speed hold.

It depends more on the Angle of attack setting, tweak this a little bit, Now I got no wobble at all, even on time warp.

screenshot_2015_05_13_19_52_43.png

Currently traveling to the pyramids while I'm writing this :) luv it :cool:

But beware however, if you use FAR, changing from vertical speed to altitude, or curve to hold, was a bit too sudden for me, causing me to lose wings, twice...

But beware however, if you use FAR, changing from vertical speed to altitude, or curve to hold, was a bit too sudden for me, causing me to lose wings, twice...

That's not meant to happen... (unless maybe you had it climbing at significantly greater rate than the altitude limiter would allow?)

That's not meant to happen... (unless maybe you had it climbing at significantly greater rate than the altitude limiter would allow?)

Its more like having vertical speed 50m/s then altitude, and suddenly from 50m/s it has to go down, though it could be I've tweaked it to be a bit more responsive.

On another note DANG KEYS!!!!!

Pressing Tab activates "pause commands" but then pressing it again activates it even if it wasn't open/active before.

I may have called you a bad name when suddenly my throttle and commands didn't obey me :huh:

And that's because it conflicted with one of your mods :confused:... Analog control, uses tab to switch roll/yaw.

But don't worry, after understand that Tab was actually short for "self destruction", I've manage to handle, I still like you :P

This have been my exploits (where the tab incident happened)

screenshot_2015_05_13_21_34_05.png screenshot_2015_05_13_21_46_53.png screenshot_2015_05_13_21_47_17.jpg screenshot_2015_05_13_22_07_09.png screenshot_2015_05_13_22_08_46.png screenshot_2015_05_13_22_12_22.png

Exploring the pyramids (an anomaly contract), surveyed the area for a suitable landing place, ended up on a nice hill, but it was too far.

So I've set on a short flight to get right next to the objective, taking off was easy but getting there with low enough speed was the challenge. Ended up stopping halfway up a mountain :D

And that's because it conflicted with one of your mods :confused:... Analog control, uses tab to switch roll/yaw.

...Nope, didn't see that one coming...

I'll do the configurable secondary bindings this weekend (if not earlier). This is just getting silly now

...Nope, didn't see that one coming...

I'll do the configurable secondary bindings this weekend (if not earlier). This is just getting silly now

:P sorry for being a pain in the ass, I just have the luck of finding the little issues, I should be a game tester...

Version 1.8.1

• Fixed Pitch and Yaw flight controls remaining locked out under some circumstances
  • Fixed unpausing activating all control systems
  • Pilot Assistant scroll areas are now resizeable

Hello!

I have a problem with the autopilot not actually doing anything.

It first looks like it is enabled and working but there are no active control inputs and the keys behave like with the autopilot turned off instead of setting its values.

Also some of the target values refuse to update and stick to the current values or what was current at the moment of mode engagement or something pretty much random.

Why could that be and how to fix it?

Thank you!

The pilot assistant module manager icon is not appearing in my install. Hitting tab will cause the "enabled/disabled" message to pop up, but the other keybinds don't seem to respond. Suspect it just failed to install correctly, but I tried with both of the downloads without much luck.

Removed all other mods except kerbal engineer (latest version).

Module manager v 2.6.3

Edited by Phearlock

The same thing in my case.

Just updated to the new version to see if it helps with the control issue but now there is no icon and no autopilot interface at all like if the mod is completely absent.

Version 1.9.0 fails to load SAS preset so it crashes and doesn't add app icon:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PilotAssistant.PresetManager.loadSASPreset (PilotAssistant.Presets.SASPreset p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PilotAssistant.PresetManager.loadCraftSASPreset () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PilotAssistant.SurfSAS.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PilotAssistant.PilotAssistantFlightCore.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Downloaded from Kerbalstuff, removed all files of the previous version before installing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.