[1.3] Pilot Assistant: Atmospheric piloting aids - 1.13.2 (May 28)

Crzyrndm

First launch, everything works fine

Second launch whatever is the Target Heading, Indicated Heading shows 0° and whatever is the target VS Indicated VS stay to 0 and nothings changes on indicated HDG and VS when HDG and VS are selected.

I am returning on 1.17

And do you have a log file from when this happened?

I have a logfile: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1414175/output_log-pilotassistant-novertical.zip

I had the same bug: after multiple reverts, even if the Altitude hold is engaged and set to a higher altitude, the vertical speed displays zero. All controls are locked and don't move until I disable PilotAssistant with tab.

The next time this occurs to anyone, could you please get a screenshot with as many PID fields visible as possible (options => show control surfaces, show limits => open them all up, maximise the drag size, etc.). Fingers crossed that it's what I think it is

Yeah I think this is my current issue. I haven't bothered starting a proper 1.0 game so this install is pretty bare bones, so I don't think it's anything else interfereing. PA's heading control is totally broken though, after one successful use - and it's not loading the preset for the craft either.

21619638056_84f362e51e.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzttlb7xjufwfbw/KSPlogs.zip?dl=0

[EXC 07:48:51.000] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PilotAssistant.PresetManager.loadSSASPreset (PilotAssistant.Presets.SSASPreset p, PilotAssistant.FlightModules.SurfSAS instance)
PilotAssistant.PresetManager.loadCraftSSASPreset (PilotAssistant.FlightModules.SurfSAS instance)
PilotAssistant.FlightModules.SurfSAS.Start ()
PilotAssistant.FlightModules.AsstVesselModule.Start ()

Found one of my output logs filled with spam of

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PilotAssistant.FlightModules.SurfSAS.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at PilotAssistant.FlightModules.AsstVesselModule.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Particularly odd as I'd not even touched Pilot Assistant yet in that save. I do have a lot of mods installed, and a lot of bugs, so am currently trying to cut them down and isolate exactly what's causing which problem.

v1.11.9 is a quick fix for things completely breaking. I haven't actually fixed the problem though, just shoved it under a rug for when I have some time to deal with it :D

Particularly odd as I'd not even touched Pilot Assistant yet in that save.

No hope of tracking that down without a full log (There's a very good chance the .update error is only a symptom of the thing that needs fixing)

Edited by Crzyrndm

v1.11.9 is a quick fix for things completely breaking. I haven't actually fixed the problem though, just shoved it under a rug for when I have some time to deal with it :D

No hope of tracking that down without a full log (There's a very good chance the .update error is only a symptom of the thing that needs fixing)

Here you go https://www.dropbox.com/s/472jsggojynv8sy/output_log%201.txt?dl=0

I make it about line 393,412. Although shortly before the spam starts there's a

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

at PilotAssistant.FlightModules.Stock_SAS+<Initialise>d__0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
PilotAssistant.FlightModules.Stock_SAS:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
PilotAssistant.FlightModules.Stock_SAS:Start()
PilotAssistant.FlightModules.AsstVesselModule:Start()

RPMVesselComputer: Start for vessel Untitled Space Craft Debris (925283af-4cd8-41e4-a4d3-6dcad872d8e9)

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[Kerbal Foundries - ModuleWaterSlider]: WaterSlider start.

at KerbalFoundries.ModuleWaterSlider.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalFoundries.ModuleCameraShot.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

If memory serves, this was immediately after going to the runway (I think to test some IR/KAS/MFS cranes)

Did you get anywhere with actual TFR in the end, btw? at it's simplest it could just be "get the radar alt X metres in front of the craft and feed that into the altitude hold control", which would have you crashing into hilltops occasionally but is probably not all that much effort ( assuming getting the radar alt of an arbitrary point is not much effort, anyway ). Minor improvement would be to mark a ground altitude peak ( ie radar altitude sample is less than the previous one ) & have that as the ground level until you've moved that X metres.

I'm having a few problems with the numerical entry buttons again - at least for altitude if I type a number in & set it with the button I seem to have to give it a nudge with the up/down keys to get the number to actually take, and I think vspd is also doing it but it's a bit harder to judge. I'll try and sit down & do a proper test with various easing values when I can, so no worries until then.

I am getting a NRE I think from this mod. Here is a log and the error in question. It is right at the bottom of the log and it starts when dock. It continues after undocking, but will cease if I quick save then load or cause a scene change. let me know if you need more info. Thanks

at PilotAssistant.FlightModules.SurfSAS.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PilotAssistant.FlightModules.AsstVesselModule.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Is this an "easy mode" mod? Or are there settings / features where you have to give your pilots experience before these features can be unlocked?

It's an aircraft automatic pilot. Everything works from the get-go.

'easy mode'... Feh. Fly an aircraft for 2 hours or more and you'll realize how essential this really is.

'easy mode'... Feh. Fly an aircraft for 2 hours or more and you'll realize how essential this really is.

Fair enough. Though I suspect you'll understand that early-career flights tend to be shorter anyway. I like the challenge / grind of early career, but you're entirely correct that carrying that grind to late-career flights is kinda frustrating.

Fair enough. Though I suspect you'll understand that early-career flights tend to be shorter anyway. I like the challenge / grind of early career, but you're entirely correct that carrying that grind to late-career flights is kinda frustrating.

Even short flights this can be useful. Living in a home, flying a simulator has one big difference from flying a plane for real.

When you're flying a plane, people tend not to interrupt you because they don't want to DIE when you step away from the controls.

And really, when it comes to AP, a lot of people don't realize that AP is completely useless if an aircraft is not reasonably stable to control. A phrase from a flight instructor amounts to: 'Never ask the Autopilot to do anything you wouldn't reasonably do'.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of the PA control modes will work pretty much identically since they all only cut in once the craft leaves the ground (Once in the air, for pure stability: bank > direction > heading). From memory SSAS will retain control of the ailerons while grounded (which I should probably let PA do to a degree). Optimum stability is probably both, since SSAS can hold it level on the ground and PA has the yaw control once in the air

Hi! I have a problem: my plane is rather big and heavy, about 160 tons (screenshot here) and not very maneuverable.

That's exactly the reason why I want to use Pilot Assistant - if it would be easy to fly, I would do it myself.

However, Pilot assistant reliably oscillates the plane apart. In lower altitudes, everything is fine. However, when getting faster and higher up, pilot assistant severely overreacts to every error and applies the control inputs way too long so it overshoots the target velocity, then tries to go back and it just gets worse and worse. The aerodynamic stress causes the ship to tear itself apart.

This happens with both vertical velocity hold, as with altitude hod. Could somebody help me in tuning some parameters that pilot assistant can still control my plane?

Would you consider adding a direct throttle percentage setting to the throttle control? What I mean is often is time warp tapping the ctrl or shift results in major changes in throttle percent. I would love to be able to adjust it smoothly, accurately and type in a throttle setting. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.