[0.90] Regolith - an open ISRU and Resource framework [0.1.7 - 2015.02.26]

RoverDude

The modules in Regolith will eventually replace ORSX and USI_Converter.

The parts and configs will eventually be separated to make it easier for other modders to use the framwork, but that won't be for a bit yet, and in any case the models won't be changing so feel free to go crazy building new ships :) It will very likely be similar to FireSpitter where you have the plugin component and the full set with parts as two downloads.

Can I offer a suggestion? Make a resource generator that depends on number of kerbals, or total smartness of kerbals onboard. It'd integrate very well with extraplanetary launchpads.

Please don't. Unlike EPL, which I agree should have kerbals, it is common and useful to build unmanned miner/harvester craft to go ahead of a manned mission.

I think he means as an additional type of resource generator.

well he didn't specify so I wasn't speculating. Either way, people keep thinking this is an actual mod, rather than an underlying mod framework. A generator he is talking about probably be part of a mod using Regolith, not built into Regolith itself.

Can I offer a suggestion? Make a resource generator that depends on number of kerbals, or total smartness of kerbals onboard. It'd integrate very well with extraplanetary launchpads.

A lot of that logic already exists to control the efficiency mechanic in MKS. Bringing it over here would mostly be a matter of deciding whether any hard-coded constants need to become configurable.

A lot of that logic already exists to control the efficiency mechanic in MKS. Bringing it over here would mostly be a matter of deciding whether any hard-coded constants need to become configurable.

Likewise, I can't wait till KerbalStats is integrated into MKS efficiency like it is with EPL.

Once again making things confusing. Regolith is just a framework. Regolith is a better version of ORSX. So once the bees have been removed MKS will use Regolith instead of ORSX, not the other way around. So there would be no point in having that logic in the framework.

Once again making things confusing. Regolith is just a framework. Regolith is a better version of ORSX. So once the bees have been removed MKS will use Regolith instead of ORSX, not the other way around. So there would be no point in having that logic in the framework.

Unless he's planning on keeping that logic in the framework, just refining it alot more.

The point of moving that logic from MKS into the framework is so other mods that want to use it can depend on the framework and not on MKS.

For instance, if you were converting EPL, you might want RocketParts production to vary with available labor similarly to your build rates. Or @spiritplumber might have a new application in mind entirely.

Unless he's planning on keeping that logic in the framework, just refining it alot more.

Possibly, that I will let Rover answer. It still doesn't change the fact that MKS/Karbonite etc will use Regolith, not the other way around. I'd bet money once the bees have been removed, the parts currently in Regolith will be removed as well, and moved to something like AMT (asteroid mining technology) that Rover has alluded to in the past.

Possibly, that I will let Rover answer. It still doesn't change the fact that MKS/Karbonite etc will use Regolith, not the other way around. I'd bet money once the bees have been removed, the parts currently in Regolith will be removed as well, and moved to something like AMT (asteroid mining technology) that Rover has alluded to in the past.

He's already stated that the parts aren't going anywhere.

The modules in Regolith will eventually replace ORSX and USI_Converter.

The parts and configs will eventually be separated to make it easier for other modders to use the framwork, but that won't be for a bit yet, and in any case the models won't be changing so feel free to go crazy building new ships :) It will very likely be similar to FireSpitter where you have the plugin component and the full set with parts as two downloads.

He's already stated that the parts aren't going anywhere.

Read both closer.

...and moved to something like AMT (asteroid mining technology) that Rover has alluded to in the past.
The parts and configs will eventually be separated to make it easier for other modders to use the framwork,

Pretty much saying the same thing.

Wow another one!

This looks good as a new resource acquisition plugin. I find your plugins refreshingly straight forward and clean.

What are your plans for locating resources on planets for the planetary feature? It needs to be something really simple, I find the ORS methods a bit messy and not very user-friendly. The resource overlay is the main thing that Kethane did extremely well.

Anyway I will add this in once all your other mods are migrated over.

Likely out of scope for this. That being said - the way the generators work, it completely separates the concept of a recipe from the much of converting stuff into stuff. Case in point, the vanilla generator is about ten lines of code. The asteroid harvester is a lot more. Both use the same recipes, both use the same resouce conversion. So it would not be a stretch at all to build a module that does dynamic recipe creation based on efficiency (and there pretty much will have to be one inside of MKS). But I don't see that making it into the core product as efficiency is a very specific use case, and there are lots of interperetations.

Also since MKS will be moving to Kerbal Stats for it's experience system (I need this for a lot of upcoming MKS end game things and my EPL integration) , I would not want that dependency. Best to view Regolith as a simple foundation for resource management.

Wow another one!

This looks good as a new resource acquisition plugin. I find your plugins refreshingly straight forward and clean.

What are your plans for locating resources on planets for the planetary feature? It needs to be something really simple, I find the ORS methods a bit messy and not very user-friendly. The resource overlay is the main thing that Kethane did extremely well.

Anyway I will add this in once all your other mods are migrated over.

Still being coded, but the guiding principles are simple, extendable, tolerant of multiple mods, no more PNGS, and provisions for better player interaction.

No overlay in the box, it will interface with SCANSat and Cyrik's resource overlay. Though I might bring in Cyrik's as a dependency because it's simple and has some nice visualizations. There will however be very nice public hooks for getting resource data, so it's open to extension.

Hey, will you be putting Dtobi's little claw into your pack? It looks nice for micro-probes (Philae-like landers)

I'll be re-releasing Asteroid Cities and combining it with ART and put it on top of Regolith... so you get pretty much all of it ;)

The Regolith Excavator gives me the status message "Not directly attached to asteroid". But I am directly attached for what I can see. I have some ART stuff there too (Fuel Hatch with expanded tanks). What is the problem?

The Regolith Excavator gives me the status message "Not directly attached to asteroid". But I am directly attached for what I can see. I have some ART stuff there too (Fuel Hatch with expanded tanks). What is the problem?

Picture of your ship please, also is there anything interesting going on in the log?

- Variable and depletable resources

Does this mean depletable planetary resources, or just asteroids? For example could drilling lower the concentration in an area of the planet? Maybe it never gets to zero, but as drilling goes on, moving becomes more attractive.

Landing in one spot and then drilling as much as I want for eternity always seemed a bit cheaty to me. For that reason alone I've tried the concentration-based planetary resources (like Karbonite and Interstellar) but have stuck with Kethane.

Does this mean depletable planetary resources, or just asteroids? For example could drilling lower the concentration in an area of the planet? Maybe it never gets to zero, but as drilling goes on, moving becomes more attractive.

Landing in one spot and then drilling as much as I want for eternity always seemed a bit cheaty to me. For that reason alone I've tried the concentration-based planetary resources (like Karbonite and Interstellar) but have stuck with Kethane.

It will support resource depletion, although the mechanic is different than Kethane, the effect is the same (short version - localized depletion vs. depleting a continent with a single drill). So Karbonite out of the box will not use the depletion feature, but my upcoming mining mod will use it, since it's the 'hard mode' mod ;)

Can't watch videos while at work, but the way this reads sounds great. In all honesty, this is pretty close to what I'm hoping Squad will do with their Beta version resource implementation plans - an API that allows the devs to implement their vision for the broad stock playerbase, but at the same time is fully extensible for modders to please their niche audiences with all the bells and whistles. Putting it into config files in module node format so that it can be tweaked at loading with ModuleManager is more or less the ideal form of implementation as far as I'm concerned.

Why don't you just go and get yourself hired already? :D