{
name = REGO_ModuleResourceConverter
ConverterName = Reactor
StartActionName = Start Reactor
StopActionName = Stop Reactor
RecipeInputs = EnrichedUranium, 0.00003
RecipeOutputs = DepletedUranium, 0.00003, True, ElectricCharge, 100, False
}

Why: Easier access to them with ModuleManager and TweakScale.

MODULE
{
name = REGO_ModuleResourceConverter
ConverterName = Reactor
StartActionName = Start Reactor
StopActionName = Stop Reactor
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = EnrichedUranium
rate = 0.00003
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = DepletedUranium
rate = 0.00003
dump = True
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 100
dump = False
}
REQUIRED_RESOURCE
{
name = EnrichedUranium
rate = 0.00003
}
}

Can anyone tell me what the "scannertype" variable I see in some part .cfg files defines? I see it set to 0, 1, 2 or 3....I'm trying to switch the scan-o-matic soil sampler to regolith, and don't want to break things.

So does that mean that when I set the scannertype parameter of a part to one of those types listed it will scan for the given resource in that location? Perfect, makes sense with what I saw inside the mks antanea (the resource scanner camera thing). I just wanted to make sure before I go breaking things. I wonder if the mapviewavailable parameter still functions the same, I'd like to keep those values as well.

EDIT; well I appear to have a functional, KAS attachable and storable SCAN-O-MATIC soil sample system which has a crustal resource display in the right click menu for all regorith MKS resources. Stored size is set to 20. I included the mapview variable, but can't report if it's working yet as I don't have any scans of kerbin (I dont' plan on mining kerbin, feels cheaty to me to think I could gather resources myself at a competitive cost with established infrastructure; everything I launch from kerbin I'll pay for with funds). I will now be launching my apollo 3 rocket tonight to test this new and improved scanOmatic on the mun in a KAS assembled pakrat rover, and will report back if it works.

I am not a programmer by any stretch, but if anyone is interested in this .cfg and can't be arsed to do it themselves send me a pm and I will send it to you.

Edited by Errol

Well I've yet to see a Satscan that has seen Karbonite and Ore together (my Regolith is current)

My main hub is over the ore.

With ore miner connected to the hub I see ore on the resource scan but no Karbonite.

With Karbonite miner connected to the hub I see Karbonite on the resource scan but no ore.

So with one or the other connected it takes the resource scan from that vehicles area but with both connected it defaults to what the hub is sitting on.

^^^^moved from CRP

Ore minerjDgb4FC.png

Karbonite miner

lO6Si2A.png

Both connected

nmfO9ZX.png

Thanks - let me see if I can repro this.

- - - Updated - - -

Humor me - move your ore bit over towards the Karbonite ship because it could be as simple as being on the edge of one of the spikes in the simplex noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Also. Since it looks like you have SCANSat - show me your Karbonite map for that area on the big map.

Ore Scan

KSxsYlM.png

Karbonite Scan

SD1eOl1.png

Resources Layout

EngoO9k.png

- - - Updated - - -

Humor me - move your ore bit over towards the Karbonite ship because it could be as simple as being on the edge of one of the spikes in the simplex noise.

I see what your getting at but the thing is even on overlapping Ore & Karbonite it'll show one or the other but never both it'll mine one or the other but never both it's like they can't over lap even though the scan shows them as overlapping.

"NAME":"Community Resource Pack",
"URL":"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/BobPalmer/Regolith/master/GameData/Regolith/Regolith.version",
"DOWNLOAD":"https://github.com/BobPalmer/Regolith/releases",
"GITHUB":{
"USERNAME":"BobPalmer",
"REPOSITORY":"Regolith",

The text listed above is taken from the current Regolith.version file.

When the update notification was displayed in KSP I clicked the download button and ended up and the Regolith download page.

Since I was expecting to connect to the Community Resource Pack site I was a tad surprised.

Since these two products are separated on the forum I would like to recommend that the Name field be altered to 'Regolith'.

Oops.. scrap this request please:.. release 0.1.2 has just fixed it.

Edited by BruceKnowles
No longer required

Fully configurable, out of the gate it's based on a random chanced per biome for presence then a range for distribution. You can do biome level configs, planet specific configs, etc.

Do you have any wiki or examples? I saw the per planet stuff, but I'm at loss of how the biome configuration works

I want to switch the cool Universal Storage Fuel Cell from REGO_ModuleResourceConverter to REGO_ModuleTrickleCharger .

This is because until Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators come along much later in the tech tree all the little energy nibblers, like probe cores and SCANsat etc that want 1.7e/min, render the following code useless. And I want my FCs to be Fire And Forget.

@PART[US_i_Wedge_FuelCell]    
{
@MODULE[REGO_ModuleResourceConverter]
{
@RecipeOutputs = ElectricCharge, 16, False, Water, 0.0000520721, True
}
}

Unless you manually turn it off, the FC sees a gap of 0.028e and carries on full blast. If I turn it on at launch my FC runs out of gas before the mun. Without Actions Groups and even with... that's a pain in the bum that I feel sure we can avoid.

That code works fine endgame if your craft has an RTG to feed the nibblers.

However experiment #1 failed with a Module Manager halt that debug showed as IndexOutOfRangeException : "Index was outside the bounds of the array." twice.

{
!MODULE[REGO_ModuleResourceConverter] {}

MODULE
{
name = REGO_ModuleTrickleCharger
startAnimationName = Risk It
activeAnimationName = Combobulating
// The ammount of electric charge (in kJ) recieved from 1 unit of fuel
conversionRatio = 320
// The maximum output of the generator in MW
maxOutput = 16
FuelResource = Hydrogen, Oxygen
GeneratorName = Fuel Cell
}
}

Using FuelResource = Hydrogen also failed in the same way

I tried a control experiment, below, using a direct copypasta of the USI Karbonite generator code. And when MM halted with the same error IndexOutOfRangeException : "Index was outside the bounds of the array." twice, I sought your help.

{

MODULE
{
startAnimationName = Toggle
activeAnimationName = Running
conversionRatio = 1200
maxOutput = 120
FuelResource = Karbonite
GeneratorName = Generator
}
}

I don't know what that error means, but I had expected the copypasta experiment to work.

Ideally I want this to work. Or at least a FuelResource = MyChoice work around.

{

MODULE
{
startAnimationName = Risk It
activeAnimationName = Combobulating
conversionRatio = 247
maxOutput = 16
FuelResource = Hydrogen, 1, Oxygen, 0.5
GeneratorName = Fuel Cell
}
}

Hmmm the following FC has a built in RTG code might work. (At posting I don't know if it works. It's late for me and I need sleep.)

{
@MODULE[REGO_ModuleResourceConverter]
{
@RecipeOutputs = ElectricCharge, 16, False, Water, 0.0000520721, True
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.15
}
}
}

Thank for whatever help I get. And I appologise if I've answered my own problem. Tired.

Edited by Twinkee

Sorry, sounds like you are asking a Module Manager question not a Regolith question? I really can't follow what you are trying to ask for help on. If you have a very specific and concise question WRT how Regolith generators work I can answer it, but cannot provide MM tech support.

Sorry you're right that was rather a tl:dr moment

Short version : Where can we find the parameters of your Modules?

Does TrickleCharger accept any fuelresource or just kerbonite?

FuelResource = Something

can it work with

FuelResource = Something, SomethingElse

I want to use REGO_ModuleTrickleCharger but my initial efforts failed and my game wouldn't load. Without knowing what the variables can handle I can't troubleshoot successfully. I will also ask about the error on the MM discussion.

Edited by Twinkee

Hey RoverDude,

I have a .25 save I am still actively playing and plan to keep playing for a while still. It has MKS/OKS and Karbonite in their latest non-Regolith, non-0.90 versions. I would now like to add the ability to mine asteroids for resources. Since ART mostly just gives me empty space, which I don't plan on using, I'm looking at Regolith/AMT instead.

Ideally I want just the ability to mine asteroids, and keep the function of Karbonite and MKS/OKS the same as it is now, with the simple "scan from orbit -> plop down drill -> run through converter" mechanics. Should I use the 0.0.2 Regolith demo version for this purpose, or should I grab one of the older AMT releases since it is more stable/has more parts/some other reason? I must admit that I'm just ever so slightly lost in the mass of your mods :P

Hey RoverDude,

I have a .25 save I am still actively playing and plan to keep playing for a while still. It has MKS/OKS and Karbonite in their latest non-Regolith, non-0.90 versions. I would now like to add the ability to mine asteroids for resources. Since ART mostly just gives me empty space, which I don't plan on using, I'm looking at Regolith/AMT instead.

Ideally I want just the ability to mine asteroids, and keep the function of Karbonite and MKS/OKS the same as it is now, with the simple "scan from orbit -> plop down drill -> run through converter" mechanics. Should I use the 0.0.2 Regolith demo version for this purpose, or should I grab one of the older AMT releases since it is more stable/has more parts/some other reason? I must admit that I'm just ever so slightly lost in the mass of your mods :P

I would not even try to mix these, and some of these bits are 0.90 specific as the API changed...

Sorry you're right that was rather a tl:dr moment

Short version : Where can we find the parameters of your Modules?

Does TrickleCharger accept any fuelresource or just kerbonite?

FuelResource = Something

can it work with

FuelResource = Something, SomethingElse

I want to use REGO_ModuleTrickleCharger but my initial efforts failed and my game wouldn't load. Without knowing what the variables can handle I can't troubleshoot successfully. I will also ask about the error on the MM discussion.

Trickle charger is being deprecated so don't use this. A properly configured module should perform pretty much the same thing, just with the standard UI (in essence, all modules trickle charge - hence the load parameter). For parameters, look at existing modules. In your case, the reactors are probably a decent starting point.

I would not even try to mix these, and some of these bits are 0.90 specific as the API changed...

But I thought that the 0.0.2 prerelease of Regolith was for .25 still? Your changelog reads "updated to .90" only in the version following that.

...Or do you mean that trying to install any version of Regolith, even the old prereleases, alongside your other mods would cause a spacetime paradox?

Theorycraft Incoming!

So there are a few new bits being tossed into the next version.

First, is depletion. Harvesters now have a depletion rate. This will result in a spot's abundance slowly reducing over time. This is expressed as a percentage loss, so every tick abundance drops by x% (these are generally very tiny). So while you cannot drop to zero, you can get stupidly small.

Second, is harvest threshold. Harvesters will have a certain percentage at which point they will not work. This is mostly for drill differentiation. So a smaller drill might be more compact and have less of a depletion impact, while a larger one can drill deeper (work with lower abundance rates) but will also deplete that node over time.

Third is scanner resolution. Currently scanners return a precise amount (i.e. 2.743% Karbonite). Scanner resolution will come in four flavors:

Level 4 - Precise (2.743% - 5.267%)

Level 3 - Nearest Percentage (3% - 5%)

Level 2 - Biome Average (4%)

Level 1 - Presence only (Y/N, no numbers)

Default will be Precise (i.e. what SCANSat has today) but this will allow the API to support a variety of scanners at different tech levels, and even vary by resource. Scanner diversity for the win.

Fourth is discovery. Scanners may be configured to not work at all until a biome is first explored on the ground. Once explored, scanners will display data for that biome. This is retroactive and not per resource - so if you add a new mod with a new resource, and explored that biome before, you will see the new resource unlocked. The gameplay goal is to really make resource harvesting feel more like exploration instead of just a probe and a time warp.

This can be overridden by modders and combined with the other new features, so a use case might be one where a scanner only shows presence (yes/no) but unlocking via discovery is required to get access to more precise numbers.

The default will be discovery required for everything unless explicitly overridden by a resource scanner.

Anyway, thoughts and feedback are always appreciated :)

Theorycraft Incoming!

So there are a few new bits being tossed into the next version.

First, is depletion. Harvesters now have a depletion rate. This will result in a spot's abundance slowly reducing over time. This is expressed as a percentage loss, so every tick abundance drops by x% (these are generally very tiny). So while you cannot drop to zero, you can get stupidly small.

Second, is harvest threshold. Harvesters will have a certain percentage at which point they will not work. This is mostly for drill differentiation. So a smaller drill might be more compact and have less of a depletion impact, while a larger one can drill deeper (work with lower abundance rates) but will also deplete that node over time.

Third is scanner resolution. Currently scanners return a precise amount (i.e. 2.743% Karbonite). Scanner resolution will come in four flavors:

Level 4 - Precise (2.743% - 5.267%)

Level 3 - Nearest Percentage (3% - 5%)

Level 2 - Biome Average (4%)

Level 1 - Presence only (Y/N, no numbers)

Default will be Precise (i.e. what SCANSat has today) but this will allow the API to support a variety of scanners at different tech levels, and even vary by resource. Scanner diversity for the win.

Fourth is discovery. Scanners may be configured to not work at all until a biome is first explored on the ground. Once explored, scanners will display data for that biome. This is retroactive and not per resource - so if you add a new mod with a new resource, and explored that biome before, you will see the new resource unlocked. The gameplay goal is to really make resource harvesting feel more like exploration instead of just a probe and a time warp.

This can be overridden by modders and combined with the other new features, so a use case might be one where a scanner only shows presence (yes/no) but unlocking via discovery is required to get access to more precise numbers.

The default will be discovery required for everything unless explicitly overridden by a resource scanner.

Anyway, thoughts and feedback are always appreciated :)

And here's the first question :wink:

Will depletion affect all resources or only those who opt in? Say Karbonite which was infinte so far, will it run out in the future? (Not saying that's bad, but I think an optional flag per resource would be great anyway).