[0.90] Regolith - an open ISRU and Resource framework [0.1.7 - 2015.02.26]

RoverDude

Theorycraft Incoming!

<snip a bunch of good stuff>

Awesome! So is the thought that a typical scenario would be for orbital scanners (ie. long range scanners) to have low precision, and ground scanners (ie. short range ones) to have high precision?

Starting to see lots of fun potential for some contracts here... "Go find a source of X"... "We've run out of X on our Minmus base, find a new deposit on Minmus"... "We know there's X on the Mun's highlands, land and find out how much".

Yep basically it's a bunch of new tinker toys for modders.

Great.. is there an instruction manual? A list of modules? I don't know where to look for this stuff.

In your case, the reactors are probably a decent starting point.

Great... I have looked, but not found. Where can I find a reactor using regolith code please?

Thanks

Great.. is there an instruction manual? A list of modules? I don't know where to look for this stuff.

Great... I have looked, but not found. Where can I find a reactor using regolith code please?

Thanks

I think rover had posted something a bit back on some basic API stuff but im not seeing it

I have a question regarding the definition of interplanetary resources.

MinAltitude and MaxAltitude define the range where the resource can appear and MinRange/MaxRange define the "width" of the resource band, eg. it is somewhere between min/max altitude and has a thickness of some value between min/max range. The min and max values are put into the config as multipliers to the planetary radius, which yields the final values.

Is that correct so far, or have I misunderstood something?

I am trying to add a band of resources to LKO, and while they do appear, i cannot seem to get them to appear in the right height. Here is an example from the config:

REGOLITH_PLANETARY_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = ArgonGas

ResourceType = 3

PlanetName = Kerbin

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 100

MinAbundance = .001

MaxAbundance = .005

MinAltitude = 1.0247

MaxAltitude = 1.03385

MinRange = .01

MaxRange = .01

}

}

The planetary radius is 3840000m (6.4x Kerbin), so by my understanding, the resource band should appear somewhere between ~3935km and ~3970km. Instead, it appears 1985km above sea level, so it is not quite where I want it to be. The alternative, that the value r*min/maxaltitude is instead supposed to denote the height of the resource band above sea level also does not fit the actual height of the resource band, so I am somewhat lost here. Any clues to where I am at fault are greatly appreciated :)

If I use REGOLITH_GLOBAL_RESOURCE, will this add the resource to all planets/moons or do I need to use REGOLITH_PLANETARY_RESOURCE to add the resource to a planet?

I want to add resources to 3 planets.

Correct. Though if a resource is already listed in the REGOLITH_GLOBAL_RESOURCE it will automagically be added to all planets (including custom planets, which is awesome )

Look at the Karbonite.cfg file in the CommunityResourcePack, and you can see an example.

Help me to understand. Is this resource/layout for modders to use, or ... it seems like you guys are all using it now?

Are we supposed to use this mod as its available in the OP, or wait for moders to take it and run with it?

Help me to understand. Is this resource/layout for modders to use, or ... it seems like you guys are all using it now?

Are we supposed to use this mod as its available in the OP, or wait for moders to take it and run with it?

its a ISRU framework for modders. If you use pretty much any of the USI (roverdudes) mods you already have it :)

its a ISRU framework for modders. If you use pretty much any of the USI (roverdudes) mods you already have it :)

What is ISRU and USI?

Edit: Wait, you mean these? http://bobpalmer.github.io/UmbraSpaceIndustries/

Yeah I don't use any of those. I'm trying to find some mods to maybe try resources and like scanning of planets and such, and its kind of confusing to figure out what I should go with.

Edited by klesh

What is ISRU and USI?

Yeah I don't use any of those. I'm trying to find some mods to maybe try resources and like scanning of planets and such, and its kind of confusing to figure out what I should go with.

Gotcha :)

Id start with:

Karbonite: Adds a minable resources which can be processed into fuel for refueling (or used directly)

ScanSAT: Allows scanning of planets for resources, altimetitry etc.

What is ISRU and USI?

You figured out USI. ISRU In Situ resource utilization. The only mods I can think of that are basic resources (mostly for fuel creation) would be Karbonite and Kethane. There are other mods that have resources, but they are in order to support other aspects of the mod, such as KSPI and MKS/OKS.

I've been trying to use the API to make a variable output fuel cell and ran into some issues. I'm using the resource converter module like so:

MODULE

{

name = REGO_ModuleResourceConverter

ConverterName = Fuel Cell

StartActionName = Start Fuel Cell

StopActionName = Stop Fuel Cell

RecipeInputs = Hydrogen, 0.0647360000, Oxygen, 0.0323680000

RecipeOutputs = ElectricCharge, 1.5, False, Water, 0.0000520721, True

}

It works okay so far in that H2 and O2 are consumed in proportion to EC drain (probe cores register a 1.74% EC load - so far so good). However, when I attach an alternator-equipped engine part, load defaults to 100% - I'm guessing because the part is trying to fill the small EC container in the engine, even though they can't be filled by external charging. Potential bug?

Another issue is that the conversion isn't working with craft on-rails. I don't know if Regolith conversions are even supposed to happen on-rails, and in the manner I'm trying to do it, so I thought I'd ask.

I've been trying to use the API to make a variable output fuel cell and ran into some issues. I'm using the resource converter module like so:

MODULE

{

name = REGO_ModuleResourceConverter

ConverterName = Fuel Cell

StartActionName = Start Fuel Cell

StopActionName = Stop Fuel Cell

RecipeInputs = Hydrogen, 0.0647360000, Oxygen, 0.0323680000

RecipeOutputs = ElectricCharge, 1.5, False, Water, 0.0000520721, True

}

It works okay so far in that H2 and O2 are consumed in proportion to EC drain (probe cores register a 1.74% EC load - so far so good). However, when I attach an alternator-equipped engine part, load defaults to 100% - I'm guessing because the part is trying to fill the small EC container in the engine, even though they can't be filled by external charging. Potential bug?

Another issue is that the conversion isn't working with craft on-rails. I don't know if Regolith conversions are even supposed to happen on-rails, and in the manner I'm trying to do it, so I thought I'd ask.

Works fine on rails, need more details. For the alternator bit log a github issue please :)