[WIP] Stand-alone (no dependencies) Alcubierre drive

RoverDude

I need this in my life. I need this so badly you have no idea. I've been wanting a standalone Warp Drive for ages.

Not one that I have to download with 50 other parts I'll probably not use, not one that uses weird resource systems and other wonky things, not a jump drive that's just a glorified Hyper Edit with pretty effects, just a warp drive that lets me fly at hilariously awesome and variable speeds in a straight line at multiples of the speed of light. Please, please give me this small wonder in my life. My kerbals will love you for it, and maybe hate me for it because of the inevitable explosions that will follow it its wake. XD

2 things you could do....

1. add emissives for throttle

2. add a small trim around where the ring and engines intersect. this shouldn't be too hard, you just take a profile of the ring shape, give it some thickness.

Yep, there are throttle emmissives :) I hear ya about #2... was a pretty quick lazy afternoon model ;)

So...how does it work? Balance, fuel/power requirements, speeds, etc.

Uses exotic matter generated slowly via an on-board reactor.

Balance is that this does location translation (like a 'real' Alcubierre drive), not acceleration. So you are going to have weird DV issues.

Also, shuts down if operated within a certain distance of a planet (going with 1,000,000 for the current SOI.

Also obliterates anything in front of it, so don't try to dock with the engine on :P

Speed is exponential and configurable.

I like this. It would be really cool if you could make a more realistic version, like Harold White's Alcubierre Drive.

It would also be really cool if it is in the staging menu, and throttle controls how fast it sends you.

Already been done on both counts. There's a very nice version of that warp drive already released. And I tie the throttle to how fast space is moved around you.

"Caution: Contains Science" :)

This looks nice. How is it going to work?

See above :)

I need this in my life. I need this so badly you have no idea. I've been wanting a standalone Warp Drive for ages.

Not one that I have to download with 50 other parts I'll probably not use, not one that uses weird resource systems and other wonky things, not a jump drive that's just a glorified Hyper Edit with pretty effects, just a warp drive that lets me fly at hilariously awesome and variable speeds in a straight line at multiples of the speed of light. Please, please give me this small wonder in my life. My kerbals will love you for it, and maybe hate me for it because of the inevitable explosions that will follow it its wake. XD

Can I use your post in my signature? It's great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.