[WIP] Stand-alone (no dependencies) Alcubierre drive

RoverDude

Might I suggest allowing for scaling the bubble for increased\decreased fuel cost?

Probably not for launch, and later done as separate parts. Note that the bubble is freaking HUGE as it is... like, 30m in diameter ;)

I could see a 3.75M drive with a large bubble but massive energy draw, and a 1.25m drive with a smaller bubble with decreased max speed.

Why stop there? Lets have a Puny-sized bubble for a kerbal with a HUGE battery attached to his back-end. EVA warping anyone? That would have made Manley's EVA return trip so much easier. (I watched that video for the first time yesterday, returned from another world solely on EVA in an earlier version of KSP that had no re-entry effects.)

Probably not for launch, and later done as separate parts. Note that the bubble is freaking HUGE as it is... like, 30m in diameter ;)

I could see a 3.75M drive with a large bubble but massive energy draw, and a 1.25m drive with a smaller bubble with decreased max speed.

i like that ;) great idea! Can you add for the alcubierre drive a very expensive new node science?

Great thanks for your magic works Rover Dude! I hope the Squad team make a contract with you to add all your mod in KSP like Porkjet ;) You deserve the Squad 'gratitude

Any plans to make an "advanced" nacelle type alby drive or does that not fit in with the scope of your project. A bunch of us trek fans would have fun with that and infernal robotics.

You got some token ones on the ring ;) So no separate model right now - but it would be cake for someone to take the code and make a new model.

From the videos it almost seems that this drive is more "maneuverable" than Interstellar's, and tying the speed to the throttle for finer control is also pretty awesome. Tweakscale integration might be handy too for alternate sizes for people with that mod, though having different parts would be fine for most.

I already have a set of powerful custom engines and a "Matter/Anti-Matter Reaction Assembly" setup for personal use. It uses 3 parts: a reactor part, a fuel tank part, and an engine. The fuel feeds into the reactor via a fuel line, which creates "Warp Plasma", which runs the engines and creates a lot of electricity to boot. Tying this beautiful drive into my personal edits will complete the holy trinity of awesome: Warp Core, Impulse Engines, and Warp Drive.

Of course, with the huge ring, anything with a warp drive won't be landing anywhere, at least horizontally. I guess that's why we have shuttles and designated landing craft.

It translates you in space without acceleration. The only thrust is for maneuvering. So if you leave LKO at 2500 m/s and point at jool, you would drop out of warp at 2500 m/s give or take

This is awesome! I have a feeling the Star Trek mod (SciFi Shipyards) Will LOVE This. Will it be usable as a framework for other mods? Like Firespitter.dll is used even though it was originally meant for just the one parts pack?

This is awesome! I have a feeling the Star Trek mod (SciFi Shipyards) Will LOVE This. Will it be usable as a framework for other mods? Like Firespitter.dll is used even though it was originally meant for just the one parts pack?

It wasn't designed with reuse in mind so it has some requirements for animations, etc. but no reason that someone could not drop in an alternate model.

How are you making it charge up, RoverDude? It'd be cool if it took half of your ship's energy production to charge, or something, so it didn't starve the system... but still had pretty massive energy requirements, so it'd take a bit to charge the beastie up.

You got some token ones on the ring ;) So no separate model right now - but it would be cake for someone to take the code and make a new model.

So, In theory, lets say you've inspired me to try my hand at blender. My technical question would be, your code for the warp drive; Would making that engine a single radially attached part that can be added in symmetry or in x2, x3, x4, etc cause issues with how it actually functions?

So, In theory, lets say you've inspired me to try my hand at blender. My technical question would be, your code for the warp drive; Would making that engine a single radially attached part that can be added in symmetry or in x2, x3, x4, etc cause issues with how it actually functions?

Yes. It would probably do really weird unpredictable things.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - if you go to my dropbox there's a rough WIP (Chasing down some NRE errors). Let me know if it works, and initial feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you making it charge up, RoverDude? It'd be cool if it took half of your ship's energy production to charge, or something, so it didn't starve the system... but still had pretty massive energy requirements, so it'd take a bit to charge the beastie up.

There's a generator built in. EC->Exotic Matter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.