[WIP] Stand-alone (no dependencies) Alcubierre drive

RoverDude

Rover,

Could you please update your USI Catalog page with things in development: i.e:

- this alcubierre drive

- regolith

I do not mind it states dev only, just finding forum posts related to these mods is becoming increasingly difficult as your constellation grows. :-)

Rover,

Could you please update your USI Catalog page with things in development: i.e:

- this alcubierre drive

- regolith

I do not mind it states dev only, just finding forum posts related to these mods is becoming increasingly difficult as your constellation grows. :-)

I have to say, I agree.

Yes. It would probably do really weird unpredictable things.

Shucks, ok. I might give it a whirl at some point anyway. The last time I touched 3d modelling software was in high school nearly 14 years ago.

Edited by UAL002

So, In theory, lets say you've inspired me to try my hand at blender. My technical question would be, your code for the warp drive; Would making that engine a single radially attached part that can be added in symmetry or in x2, x3, x4, etc cause issues with how it actually functions?

You could make it so that the Radially attached nacelles are just particle generators, and then have them attach to a central part which is actually the warp drive (You could model it to look like the deflector dish in star trek or something) . If I were to make that set up, I would make the independent generator/drive more efficient than the single piece drive, at the cost of extra weight.

Got the WarpDrive_WITH_LESS_BEES edition, may have found a couple in hiding...

Warping to Jool from Kerbin I noticed that hitting 'x' to kill yer throttle causes a g-force spike - it damaged part of my craft on the 1st time I hit it and totally destroyed the craft on the 2nd time (possibly relevant - KJR in use).

Not sure if this is a feature - and is possibly my own opinion... using along side the StarLifter reactor, when you have depleted your exotic matter, the reactor still supplies enough to keep you warping at a very reasonable speed - perhaps warp should only be active when the exotic matter is at 25% or above or something... could be just me - but it felt a bit cheaty (says while playing in Sandbox mode :rolleyes:).

Love the look n overall effect of warping... even the stock sound seems OK!

Obi-Wan_hyperdrive_ring.png

Got the WarpDrive_WITH_LESS_BEES edition, may have found a couple in hiding...

Warping to Jool from Kerbin I noticed that hitting 'x' to kill yer throttle causes a g-force spike - it damaged part of my craft on the 1st time I hit it and totally destroyed the craft on the 2nd time (possibly relevant - KJR in use).

Not sure if this is a feature - and is possibly my own opinion... using along side the StarLifter reactor, when you have depleted your exotic matter, the reactor still supplies enough to keep you warping at a very reasonable speed - perhaps warp should only be active when the exotic matter is at 25% or above or something... could be just me - but it felt a bit cheaty (says while playing in Sandbox mode :rolleyes:).

Love the look n overall effect of warping... even the stock sound seems OK!

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120905234201/starwars/images/6/6b/Obi-Wan_hyperdrive_ring.png

Wait, what? Did you find a hidden download somewhere?

Edit: Disregard this

Edited by temporalExile

Wait, what? Did you find a hidden download somewhere?

Not exactly hidden...

Also - if you go to my dropbox there's a rough WIP (Chasing down some NRE errors). Let me know if it works, and initial feedback.

Yep, its right at the bottom of RoverDude's Dropbox (link in his sig).

Edit: note its a rough WIP... be careful of bees in hiding - it may or may not blow up your computer (damage yer save game or other oddness) - use at your own risk :P

Edited by Deadpan110

You could make it so that the Radially attached nacelles are just particle generators, and then have them attach to a central part which is actually the warp drive (You could model it to look like the deflector dish in star trek or something) . If I were to make that set up, I would make the independent generator/drive more efficient than the single piece drive, at the cost of extra weight.

That's actually a good idea. But now requires me to make 2 or more parts. Don't hold your breath boys and girls. The results may cause hilarity to ensue.

Figure I'll leave this here :)

Highly kerbalized, just something fun I've been wanting to do.

Stand alone mod, no dependencies. Moves you places. Will have pretty particle effects.

http://i.imgur.com/FIFFCmq.png

*deeply inhales, and says with an ecstatic expression*

"SCREAM LIKE A GIRL!!!" (extra Snacks for those who may get where that line's from)

A Warp Drive WITHOUT all the other things from KSPI! Happy Birthday to ME!!!

RoverDude... you've done it ONCE AGAIN!

Just been playing with the Beta, which didn't break anything despite having FAR too many mods installed on my game. However, controlling it is something else... After carefully warping to a 300km flyby of the sun I tried to warp myself back to Kerbin and instead ended up on a 65 degree inclined escape trajectory from the system. A little guidance would be welcome.

One thing though, despite warping all over the shop trying to fix my course I didn't deplete fuel by a single unit.

Edited by Warpedone

I've been having a ton of fun with the W.I.P. Warp Drive. One thing I do not like is the warp bubble. Yeah it looks pretty and all, but it doesn't look really... authentic. A proper warp bubble would appear to gravitationally lens the area around it. Think of the gravitational lensing around a black hole, but instead of blackness there's just a normal circle of non-lensed space with the ship inside.

I've been having a ton of fun with the W.I.P. Warp Drive. One thing I do not like is the warp bubble. Yeah it looks pretty and all, but it doesn't look really... authentic. A proper warp bubble would appear to gravitationally lens the area around it. Think of the gravitational lensing around a black hole, but instead of blackness there's just a normal circle of non-lensed space with the ship inside.

Perhaps like the equivalent of a LIGHT fish-eye lens effect (behind the ship, else the effect would warp the appearance of the ship)?

Right now my plans for sound are stock ;)

This is good, because the jet engine sound nicely matches the

effect.

Another suggestion I have for the operation of the Drive: Remove the XenonGas requirement. Make it only use ExoticMatter, as warp drives need no Remass. (Reaction Mass)

Meanwhile, a separate engine: An "Impulse Engine" which uses XenonGas and ElectricCharge for thrust. VERY high Isp, NOT a super high power requirement (Because I hate huge power requirements for stock compatibility.) And here's the kicker: Ability to reverse thrust. (Still only ONE nozzle, but it just sorta... sucks in space by using up the XenonGas? I don't know, Star Trek did it. I'm getting a real Star Trek vibe from this.)

Edited by GregroxMun

Just been playing with the Beta, which didn't break anything despite having FAR too many mods installed on my game. However, controlling it is something else... After carefully warping to a 300km flyby of the sun I tried to warp myself back to Kerbin and instead ended up on a 65 degree inclined escape trajectory from the system. A little guidance would be welcome.

One thing though, despite warping all over the shop trying to fix my course I didn't deplete fuel by a single unit.

Guidance you will have the joy of figuring out ;)

Fuel consumption is being worked.

RE the effect - Nertea may have something for us, I also have something else cooking. Note that the effect of warp is incredibly secondary to this part - I'm by no stretch a unity expert. But if someone who knows unity better (and also can work with the limits of KSP) wants to send in a pull request, then by all means rock on :)

What surprise's me the most is that SQUAD hasn't hired you yet, Roverdude.

Will download when I get the chance. At this rate, your going to outdate/replace KSPI, Bobcat, and Kethane!

He's already done that! Most people have switched to Karbonite, A select few for nostalgia reasons use HOME. KSPI is still going strong but if the plan is to create a mod similar to KSPI then I am sure this will surpass KSPI too. However I don't think thats his intention, its just seems like he wants to make a warp drive.

Are these functionally the same as a stupidly powerful engine, or do they work like KSPI's Warp drives, preserving angular momentum when shut down?

These work as an Alcubierre drive should. You are translated in space, but velocity remains the same as when you entered warp (minus maneuvering thrusters, etc for positioning).

I just make stuff I think the game needs. Although I expect over time between me and Nertea a lot of KSPI bits will have different alternatives.

Oh... and here's a new video.

Is this in the dropbox dl?

Also, I am not able to effectively turn my ship while at warp speed, and I'm getting glitchygeeforces and some minor-ish phantom torques. (Which is why turning the ship at warp is so important!)

So will this integrate into the USI mods? Perhaps as part of FTT ?

100% stand alone. The only dependency is Regolith for the Exotic Matter converter

Is this in the dropbox dl?

Also, I am not able to effectively turn my ship while at warp speed, and I'm getting glitchygeeforces and some minor-ish phantom torques. (Which is why turning the ship at warp is so important!)

Not in Dropbox yet, chasing down an NRE.

Phantom forces are to be expected at max warp. It's a Unity glich i am leaving in by design ;)

Aim carefully, punch warp, drop out if you need to re-align. Turning in warp works but horrible things may happen based on speed.

100% stand alone. The only dependency is Regolith for the Exotic Matter converter

Not in Dropbox yet, chasing down an NRE.

Phantom forces are to be expected at max warp. It's a Unity glich i am leaving in by design ;)

Aim carefully, punch warp, drop out if you need to re-align. Turning in warp works but horrible things may happen based on speed.

Well, yeah, that's what I do; dropping out and realigning. But it breaks the sort of "Warp 5, ENGAGE" idea of hitting the Z key and then holding down the CTRL key when you get close. Smoother control is very much needed. At least it's not like the KSPI warp drive where you need to regenerate ALL of your ExoticMatter as soon as you drop out of warp.

Here's a scary idea for fun if you do decide to remove the XenonGas requirement. If you run out of ExoticMatter while at warp, you can no longer control your throttle. (you can no longer control the warping of space)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.