[WIP] Stand-alone (no dependencies) Alcubierre drive

RoverDude

Well, yeah, that's what I do; dropping out and realigning. But it breaks the sort of "Warp 5, ENGAGE" idea of hitting the Z key and then holding down the CTRL key when you get close. Smoother control is very much needed. At least it's not like the KSPI warp drive where you need to regenerate ALL of your ExoticMatter as soon as you drop out of warp.

Here's a scary idea for fun if you do decide to remove the XenonGas requirement. If you run out of ExoticMatter while at warp, you can no longer control your throttle. (you can no longer control the warping of space)

Actually... if you run out of exotic matter while flying, you have a chance of your ship exploding based on how fast you were going when the tank ran dry, due to an unstable warp bubble collapse.

Fuel acquisition is not the balancing factor of this drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Hoping to see an IXS Enterprise version of this warp engine. Would it be possible to just do a mesh swap, or is the warp bubble part of the part mesh?

Warp bubble is part of the mesh.

Is this just going to be one part or a few diffrent drives and possibly jump beacons as well?

Im on all USI now for me and my server.

This will help allot and if he ever would something like the extraplantary launchpads would be awsome to be part of the oks and mks pack.

>a standalone

>requires Exotic Matter...

ok.. what else am I going to need to download to obtain this drive and make it function (like how, to utilize Karborundum and those Fusion Drives, I'll need the Honeybadger... also them Torch Drives require LiquidHydrogen, which is probably in another plugin you've made)?

>a standalone

ok.. what else am I going to need to download to obtain this drive and make it function (like how, to utilize Karborundum and those Fusion Drives, I'll need the Honeybadger... also them Torch Drives require LiquidHydrogen, which is probably in another plugin you've made)?

"Uses exotic matter generated slowly via an on-board reactor."

>a standalone

The drive is standalone - no other parts are needed - dependencies are all included.

Exotic matter is created by Electric Charge and the Drive consumes Xenon while in use.

Other parts, well as your relative velocity remains in tact after warping, make sure you have engines... what engines are up to you... (even stock engines are fine)

"Uses exotic matter generated slowly via an on-board reactor."

The drive is standalone - no other parts are needed - dependencies are all included.

Exotic matter is created by Electric Charge and the Drive consumes Xenon while in use.

Other parts, well as your relative velocity remains in tact after warping, make sure you have engines... what engines are up to you... (even stock engines are fine)

Ah. Excellent. Thank you, gents.

First of all, Roverdude, U ARE A GENIUS. I love all your mod, and u should work for Squad...

Second. As i don't know the theory of the Alcubierre drive can i have some answer on how it should works?

U guys said that it translate u but keep your speed and direction, so for example, i could jump from kerbin while i'm going out of the SOI to duna, so when i turn off the drive, i'm then in escape trajectory out of duna? doesn't cost me tons of deltaV to correct the velocity from there?

I'm not sure how this will work, i know really little about this drive...

I mean... it's super fast, that's sure, but if force me to do a 16000 deltaV correction burn out of it... well not sure i want to use it...

Maybe i should use it only with tangent trajectory? Only when my target is exactly prograde in front of me? so i can warp to another tangent trajectory and then burn for a much less expansive insertion, like i just entered the Duna SOI without the warpdrive?

Help me guys, this is not rocket science :P

@Keymaster89 - You can end up with 20K DV circularization burns... or 300. Based on how you do your warps. There are many tricks and it's a whole different navigation ballgame. And thus far, I've proven myself to be the worst warp navigator ever ;)

Just like the KSPI drive, this guy is not just some 'I win' button. It's a really interesting option though.

And as noted.. everything needed is in the box. I powered mine with a bunch of gigantor solar arrays with the only non-stock part being the drive itself.

@Keymaster89 - You can end up with 20K DV circularization burns... or 300. Based on how you do your warps. There are many tricks and it's a whole different navigation ballgame. And thus far, I've proven myself to be the worst warp navigator ever ;)

Just like the KSPI drive, this guy is not just some 'I win' button. It's a really interesting option though.

And as noted.. everything needed is in the box. I powered mine with a bunch of gigantor solar arrays with the only non-stock part being the drive itself.

WOW... just WOW...

I saw couple tutorials of KSPI's drive... it's not simple, but with the correct technique and a good understanding of the drive u could kinda go EVERYWHERE in the solar system without use a drop of FLO/H2/-insertfuelhere-!!!

If your drive will have the same mechanic and only takes time and energy to generate exotic matter in order to function, u could send everything everywhere with really little effort, time and, more important, with all the tanks full of fuel!

I bet u'll make this drive cost something like >1.000.000 founds or more (personally i'll add also some reputation requirements if possible)!

I'll also add some massive power requirements while warping... keep that bubble up and stable, plus the drive active should drain the power of a little nuclear powerplant XD but hey, i'm happy with whatever u give to us!

Can't wait for try it out!

Keep going RoverDude! :wink:

Edited by Keymaster89

Well, I launched a ship with the drive, saw I will not make circularization, so I activated the warp drive. Something scary happened in the blink of an eye and now I'm on a Kerbin escape trajectory. The problem is I can't activate the drive any more. The warp bubble effect will sometimes appear for what seems like one frame, but nothing happens. It's fully loaded with exotic matter, there's electricity and I've no idea what's going on :)

Edit: never mind!

Edited by Ledenko

Also, shuts down if operated within a certain distance of a planet (going with 1,000,000 for the current SOI.

Wait what? So if i go under 1.000.000m by accident to any celestial body i'm unable to activate the drive again? so i can't make an emergency activation of any kind! that's kinda more deadly than dangerous... well something should change from KSPI...

One might say development for this project is moving at...warp speed. *sunglasses*

The fact it only requires electricity to generate exotic matter to run should make it easy for me to work it into my personal parts and things too, which is even better news. This thread just keeps getting better and better.

Wait what? So if i go under 1.000.000m by accident to any celestial body i'm unable to activate the drive again? so i can't make an emergency activation of any kind! that's kinda more deadly than dangerous... well something should change from KSPI...

In my experience it only shuts down in the atmosphere. He must have changed that.

I am having a little problem with the warp drive, KSP hangs on the load screen when it reaches the warp drive listing and the game refuses to load any further. I have no mods installed except this one ...help I need warp. Thoughts appreciated

Do you have the included regolith folder installed as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I launched a ship with the drive, saw I will not make circularization, so I activated the warp drive. Something scary happened in the blink of an eye and now I'm on a Kerbin escape trajectory. The problem is I can't activate the drive any more. The warp bubble effect will sometimes appear for what seems like one frame, but nothing happens. It's fully loaded with exotic matter, there's electricity and I've no idea what's going on :)

Edit: never mind!

There's a bug where if you run out of exotic matter, you can never activate the drive again.

Sage - usual deal, KSP version, OS, 64 or 32, shots of your GameData folder and USI folder.

So here we go - it's done. Release will be tomorrow, but it's already there online.

- Max speed is about 1.62C (C = speed of light). Any reference to 'speed' here refers to how much space is translocated, not velocity.

- You can generate exotic matter through a lot of Gigantors. Kerbin to Duna without the generator running can be done on a single charge.

- Secondary fuel tank is large, so you should not need to top off the xenon too often.

- If your warp bubble collapses, you will start stripping bits off of your ship, the severity of which is controlled by how 'fast' you were going.

- Stuff outside the warp bubble will explode - both on your own ship and anything within a 2KM radius - if the bubble is active.

- You may experience G forces and spinning as the drive shunts on and off, and G-force hiccups as you shunt into lightspeed. This is normal, be careful.

- No energy is required to maintain the bubble (we assume the drive's built in reactors handle field setup), just EM for movement. Wanted to keep this simple.

- Yes, if you drop a reactor on this you can go almost indefinitely until the Xenon runs out. That's ok - it's by design, because for this drive, fuel conservation is not a factor in balancing.

- Default altitude cutoff is 500KM.

That should cover the bits for now :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.