[WIP] Stand-alone (no dependencies) Alcubierre drive

RoverDude

Out of curiosity, after looking through the cfg, what does the "WarpFactor = 5" mean? Is that the "max speed x c" or something?

I'm already looking at how I could make this a part of my personal edits and stuff that I use, and I'm trying to make sense of some of the more interesting bits in the code.

Out of curiosity, after looking through the cfg, what does the "WarpFactor = 5" mean? Is that the "max speed x c" or something?

I'm already looking at how I could make this a part of my personal edits and stuff that I use, and I'm trying to make sense of some of the more interesting bits in the code.

It's part of the calculation used to compute distance. Warp Factor * throttle (0 to 1) raised to the (i believe, in your version) 10th power. Works out to about 1.67 times the speed of light.

So, what would the effects be of raising and lowering that number? From what you've described, putting larger values there should mean more distance traveled, which should translate to faster warp speeds. Though I imagine faster speeds might cause more anger in the Kraken, or take more resources.

Hmm, I'm running into a weird issue. For whatever reason, whenever I load onto the runway or launchpad, my crafts spontaneously explode once the game loads physics, but only when I equip the Warp Drive. I guess I'll just wait for the finished release to test it again. Patience is a virtue. I tend to clip parts to maintain appearance, but that shouldn't matter under normal circumstances. Either way, that's why it's still in beta.

Hmm, I'm running into a weird issue. For whatever reason, whenever I load onto the runway or launchpad, my crafts spontaneously explode once the game loads physics, but only when I equip the Warp Drive. I guess I'll just wait for the finished release to test it again. Patience is a virtue. I tend to clip parts to maintain appearance, but that shouldn't matter under normal circumstances. Either way, that's why it's still in beta.

Is it a saved-craft that you created, and then updated the mod, then tried using again? I've seen some odd cases, where if something subtle changes in the part (collision mesh, node attachment location to the millimeter, not sure what), that might happen (rarely).

Or it could be a symmetry thing. Sometimes a part can get duplicated or corrupted in the VAB, and you need to discard it and pull it from the menu again to get it to work. I have no idea what causes this either.

I only seem to run into these issues when I'm making lots of changes to a part, and running sequential tests with them.

Edited by NecroBones

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else have a problem with the Kraken slapping their .... whenever they try to rendezvous with the warp drive? I launched the drive separately and want to dock a lander to it, but whenever I get within 2km my ship explodes. It's happened with both the Dreamer and the Tantares, so its not the lander's issue.

• 1 month later...
Any news so far? When can we expect the 3.75 & 5m drives?

Suggestion: make the 5m drive foldable. If the 2.5m drive is any indication, the ring on the 5m is going to be huge.

Wrong thread. There's a release thread that really should be linked in the OP of this thread.

Here's the thread you're looking for. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-0-90-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-1-0-2014-12-16

• 2 months later...
I need this in my life. I need this so badly you have no idea. I've been wanting a standalone Warp Drive for ages.

Not one that I have to download with 50 other parts I'll probably not use, not one that uses weird resource systems and other wonky things, not a jump drive that's just a glorified Hyper Edit with pretty effects, just a warp drive that lets me fly at hilariously awesome and variable speeds in a straight line at multiples of the speed of light. Please, please give me this small wonder in my life. My kerbals will love you for it, and maybe hate me for it because of the inevitable explosions that will follow it its wake. XD

Can I quote this in my signature?

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.