[WIP] [Parts] Horizontal Space Bases for colonization! Download! New Concept Stuffs!!

Night Lone

stationbits.pngstationbits2.jpg

A three kerbal cupola and a four kerbal command pod. Both are inline 2.50s. I've done some bump-mapping on the former but the latter still needs a little more work on the textures. Happy for you to take a look and consider incorporating.

Also, the one wishlist part would be fulfilled with that cupola I think; which will make a certain user happy ;)

Yes, it would make me very happy. Can't wait to try it! in fact, let me show you where I have in mind to place it: 2014-11-18_00009_zpsc1c9d64e.jpg

This will be a very welcomed addition to my space station. I know it is going to require a bit of redesigning, but hey, isn't that what makes this game so fun? I also see using it as a control center for a colony. The design makes it very versatile. Is it going to have/does it have IVA capability?

Edited by adsii1970

I got some new parts!! AND KAS/Snacks! functionality!!

I just need to make sure the snacks are added in properly...

ru4Njl8.png

Going to bed with 400 snacks?? I think that's overdoing it...

UPDATE

Reading a bit about the ISS (Since I'm wanting to make a space station with my parts) and I figured that we need some new bits! So.. Here's a List; which I'll be updating the OP with as well.

Cargo bays for sizes 1-3!! Yes, I know there are many cargo bay mods out there...

Multipurpose Logistic Module!! Aka: big pressurized area that can hold stuff. Will hold KAS and a few other things, may put some actual areas where you can store science stuff in there.

and a Special Surprise ;)

Edited by Night Lone

New Updates!! New Concepts!!

http://i.imgur.com/TBV8qWD.png

And, I hate landing Legs!!!!

The one cargo bay will have KAS ability as well. Should I make that KAS container full size? or half like it is?

Why not make one of each? I am sure we can always find more uses! What about making rover parts to create a one-man rover small enough that you can make a small garage out of the 1.5 meter parts - so that our Kerbals can drive directly into a lunar base? Just an idea...

Why not make one of each? I am sure we can always find more uses! What about making rover parts to create a one-man rover small enough that you can make a small garage out of the 1.5 meter parts - so that our Kerbals can drive directly into a lunar base? Just an idea...

I think you're missing a 2 ;) These are 2.5m parts :P and I'll play around with the KAS idea, see what's more useful (and less difficult).

Also, for that garage idea, I'll need a loading ramp; so I should finish the landing legs first so I have a proper level for the loading ramp :)

Then I can work on that rover idea, which I think is awesome...KAS-able rover!! ? good idea? >.<

Anyhow, thanks for the input! Hope you're having fun with my parts :) I'll be officially releasing this "Alpha" version on the release thread once the KeepFit mod is properly in.

New Release Post if ya guys haven't realized.

Also, though I said cargobays are #1 (they still are) I had to do testing:

QHqIyag.png

I hate Landing Legs....

I don't know if I'll release these, or at least officially. 2 landing legs in one part makes for some messy things, and messy mess ups! If you guys really want them, I'll slap some textures onto them, and let you guys play with them. But I won't be focusing on these too much. I might do a different idea for landing legs if you guys really want them, and want them more stable than these things...

EDIT

First cargobays:

O6iH108.png

Edited by Night Lone
CARGOBAYS! :D

Anyhow, thanks for the input! Hope you're having fun with my parts :) I'll be officially releasing this "Alpha" version on the release thread once the KeepFit mod is properly in.

Yes. Went back and looked - and am missing a 2. I think I found it, right between 1 and 3 on my keyboard! :D

Right now, yes, am having fun with what you've shared. I am in the process of making a mun base using a few of the parts. Right now, things are in orbit, but should have all my desired modules in place for munar deployment soon. I'll post some pictures when it is all together! Thanks for the great parts!

Have you considered a cargo bay with a folding loading ramp? So meant to be used with the opening on one side rather than top or bottom.

Would make a cool base part and useful for KAS logistics and maybe even a rover garage.

Edited by bazz

Have you considered a cargo bay with a folding loading ramp? So meant to be used with the opening on one side rather than top or bottom.

Would make a cool base part and useful for KAS logistics and maybe even a rover garage.

Honestly, not until now...and now you have me thinking...a lot...hmmm

I'm going to have to design this! as it's dual purpose (the way I'm thinking of)

Thanks!!

EDIT:

After I edit the collision mesh and other stuffs, this might turn out good!

1h1yg0Z.png

Cute rover! Good rover! It looks better without the kerbal, believe it or not...

Edited by Night Lone

Cool glad you like my idea I will be giving your parts a test later and will be following this thread as these kind of base parts I have wanted for ages.

Also as an alternative to legs perhaps a thin part with fillet cut out compartments with doors for mounting the stock medium landing legs?

Would be easy enough to add the doors to the gear action group.

That and could always be used for storage or solar panels etc.

Honestly, not until now...and now you have me thinking...a lot...hmmm

I'm going to have to design this! as it's dual purpose (the way I'm thinking of)

Note: I had a nifty post, but because of some stupid error message, it was lost and I had to log back in...:mad:

I love the idea of a cargo bay, but then again, it is something that has been thrown around. I like the idea of it being horizontal for a couple of reasons - mainly because as a space station component, it could be neat to do an EVA where parts are transferred from ship to the bay and stowed in some sort of compartments. Again, I think it would make EVAs more challenging and purposeful. As a ground/planetary base/lunar base, a horizontal bay could easily be converted to be a garage for small rovers. Again, the possibilities are endless for this part.

Another idea I had was a medical bay. Start with the housing unit, and if an IVA was wanted, why not do something like a Star Trek sick bay, but with one bed. It could have science capabilities, and as far as I know, there is no other part even remotely like this. For the exterior, it could be distinguishable by adding medical symbols (red cross, caduceus, or even bio-hazard symbol or a combination of these). If you wanted to have two different versions of it, one could have a docking ring on the side so that it could be directly docked with as a space station component. As I said before, just another idea that you can either use or toss into the "that's crazy" bin... :D

Also as an alternative to legs perhaps a thin part with fillet cut out compartments with doors for mounting the stock medium landing legs?

That and could always be used for storage or solar panels etc.

I had a thought about this; I can still do landing legs, but instead of two legs in one part, I would have a leg part (that has a node) and the thin slice you basically mentioned; with 2 nodes to match the legs that could go in them. Of course for those people who want to use other legs I'd let them :) (ie surface attachable)

Note: I had a nifty post, but because of some stupid error message, it was lost and I had to log back in...:mad:

Had that same problem >.> But then, I left my computer and came back, realized I was half in thought before I left xD

I love the idea of a cargo bay, but then again, it is something that has been thrown around. I like the idea of it being horizontal for a couple of reasons - mainly because as a space station component, it could be neat to do an EVA where parts are transferred from ship to the bay and stowed in some sort of compartments. Again, I think it would make EVAs more challenging and purposeful. As a ground/planetary base/lunar base, a horizontal bay could easily be converted to be a garage for small rovers. Again, the possibilities are endless for this part.

I had a thought about this; I can still do landing legs, but instead of two legs in one part, I would have a leg part (that has a node) and the thin slice you basically mentioned; with 2 nodes to match the legs that could go in them. Of course for those people who want to use other legs I'd let them :) (ie surface attachable)

I was thinking about this last night while watching my daughter play with one of her toys. What about leaving the landing legs off the modules, this way they can remain multi-purpose. Instead, create a cradle unit - a simple cradle using what would look like scaffolding that would contain RCS thrusters, landing legs, and even walkways that would align themselves with the airlock when the station module is placed within the cradle.

Right now, I am having a problem of any type of walkway slanting. Any suggestions?

Small rover parts are definitely lacking judging by some of the discussion in the KF thread.

I'm working on a plugin for height adjustable landing legs that automatically self level the pod when extended, but it's little a way off yet. I'll keep you posted if you like, it sounds like it might be useful for your project too.

Good work anyway, the parts look great so far!

Small rover parts are definitely lacking judging by some of the discussion in the KF thread.

I'm working on a plugin for height adjustable landing legs that automatically self level the pod when extended, but it's little a way off yet. I'll keep you posted if you like, it sounds like it might be useful for your project too.

Good work anyway, the parts look great so far!

Thanks! and that would be lovely actually, these parts wouldn't mind getting leveled out :P I do need to do some part replacing for the landing legs (due to much pain and testing) so having that nice little feature would be a big bonus :)

Probably taking today off guys so no news :(

on the other hand, if I get bored enough things will get done (landing legs probably)

Next release: time to get some cargo into space!!

E0TYGbM.png

The nice Weather GUI is from a weather mod I'm helping with models... Kerbal Weather Systems if you wanna know the name :P

The landing legs will come up next update; I'll just tweak the textures/UV map some, then release this to the wild...So..Tomorrow People!! (if we're lucky)

welp, got some new lovely stuff:

Landing legs bay! which is going to replace my landing legs idea due to...well..issues...

Lm664wK.png

Still needs textures and loving, but it's not far from complete :)

EDIT: New Download, See release thread!

Edited by Night Lone

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.