[1.12.x] Community Tech Tree (July 3)

Nertea

11 hours ago, Nertea said:

Works fine for me. You need to give it some time to load. 

How long does it take to load for you? I give it about ten minutes, then it pops up this error:

g1BPEGf.png

If it matters, I'm using Firefox Quantum.

Edited by ASCIInerd73
Nicer formatting

17 hours ago, ASCIInerd73 said:

How long does it take to load for you? I give it about ten minutes, then it pops up this error:

If it matters, I'm using Firefox Quantum.

I don't use said browser... suggest you have a look on Gliffy's website to check support. Unfortunately, I don't own Gliffy ;).

You may have to use a different browser or be content with the static image.

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

I don't use said browser... suggest you have a look on Gliffy's website to check support. Unfortunately, I don't own Gliffy ;).

You may have to use a different browser or be content with the static image.

I just looked at the support info. Apparently, they don't support firefox for large images like this one is (though it works fine for smaller images). I tried it in Microsoft Edge and it worked.

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, MagicFireCaster said:

Chrome also tells me that it is trying to load unauthorized scripts, should i let them run? 

I'm not a security professional and can't tell you what to do. I can tell you that I am not affiliated with Gliffy though, so I'm not sure what you'll need to do to get that working. 

OK, I apologize in advance if this has been asked before or is documented somewhere, but I have failed to googlefu an answer:

Is the size of the R&D tech tree space limited (appears to be roughly -3000 to 0 in the X and 0 to 2400 in the Y) or can this size be dynamically set via a cfg?

I am trying to create a custom tech tree, a blend of RP-0 and CTT to effectively create an RP-0 Extended that progresses all the way to (USI) colonization, (RSSC) interstellar space, and (KSPIE) Alcubierre warp drives . Yes this game is massive. It uses over 16 GB of RAM just on load. Ironically, getting the tech tree sorted out is my final obstacle other than needing to eventually cost/balance the futuristic parts.

On 5/26/2015 at 4:08 PM, HadToBeMordin said:
  • Near Future Technologies (Construction, Props, Solar, Spacecraft Parts)
    [*=left]Stockalike Station Parts Expansion
    [*=left]Cryogenic Engines
    [*=left]KSP Interstellar Extended
    [*=left]USI Colonization Systems (OKS/MKS)
    [*=left]USI Exploration Pack
    [*=left]USI Life Support
    [*=left]USI Survival Pack
  • USI Freight Transport Technologies (CTT config file in v0.4.1 manually fixed)

Are these color codings still accurate?

I assume the strong green are the stock categories.

Are there any guidelines for where to put parts into the CTT?

On 2/10/2018 at 2:06 PM, Omnipius said:

OK, I apologize in advance if this has been asked before or is documented somewhere, but I have failed to googlefu an answer:

Is the size of the R&D tech tree space limited (appears to be roughly -3000 to 0 in the X and 0 to 2400 in the Y) or can this size be dynamically set via a cfg?

I am trying to create a custom tech tree, a blend of RP-0 and CTT to effectively create an RP-0 Extended that progresses all the way to (USI) colonization, (RSSC) interstellar space, and (KSPIE) Alcubierre warp drives . Yes this game is massive. It uses over 16 GB of RAM just on load. Ironically, getting the tech tree sorted out is my final obstacle other than needing to eventually cost/balance the futuristic parts.

Yeah, no easy way to change the canvas size as far as I know. 

On 2/18/2018 at 3:26 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Are these color codings still accurate?

I assume the strong green are the stock categories.

Are there any guidelines for where to put parts into the CTT?

No, that color table isn't accurate. It's more like this... @Nertea @Angel-125 @Stone Blue @FreeThinker Please veto this. :) 

(Disclaimer, portions of this I clearly know... portions of this are clearly assumed as I've never installed all the mods that fill these, or if I have, I never checked them in the R&D building because I mostly play sandbox. I also believe there may be new tech nodes not featured in the graphic)

• Stock Nodes

• Near Future Electric, Far Future Tech, KSP Interstellar
    [Nuclear and super-advanced EC sources, and engines that bend physics like Epstein and Alcubierre]

• USI Life Support and MKS
    [Greenhouses and habitation things go here]

• ? Specialized Science Nodes 
    [parts ought to go here that are dedicated to autonomous, unmanned, checkpoint-like surface bases. This is the foggiest to me. Curiously, DeepFreeze appears here. I guess these checkpoint bases would have facilities only for skeleton crews]

• (upper gray region) ? Actuators and Orbital Nodes
    [parts for robotics, giant or super-giant station parts, parts that can endure extreme conditions in space, and parts/systems for spawning vessels in orbit]

• (lower gray region) MKS and possibly Freight Transport Tech (USI)
    [Parts for mass resource storage and sharing-- try to exclude propellant tanks, there are plenty nodes for those]

• Heat Control and KSP Interstellar
    [Radiators and maybe heatshields, whatever keeps you below melting point]

• Near Future Spacecraft (upper red-purple)
    [heavy lifter mods: part categories: command, utility, payload, structural-- again, there are plenty other nodes for propellant tanks and engines]

• ? Mechatronics and AI Nodes (lower red-purple)
    [supercomputer like parts, super-advanced drone cores perhaps]

• Near Future Propulsion (purple)
    [epic ion engines and ion engines that run on things other than XenonGas]

• Far Future Technology, KSP Interstellar
    [fuel tanks and big engines you really don't want to use or lose in Kerbin's atmosphere]

• Near Future Solar, KSP Interstellar?
    [super-powered solar and EC-intensive utilities]

• ???
    [more places for airplane parts]

Edited by JadeOfMaar

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

• ? Specialized Science Nodes 
    [parts ought to go here that are dedicated to autonomous, unmanned, checkpoint-like surface bases. This is the foggiest to me. Curiously, DeepFreeze appears here. I guess these checkpoint bases would have facilities only for skeleton crews]

Actually KSPIE uses these nods for it High tech science parts and equipment and lasers for beam power transmitters

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

• Near Future Propulsion (purple)
    [epic ion engines and ion engines that run on things other than XenonGas]

KSPIE also uses these nods for it electric engines

9 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

• ? Mechatronics and AI Nodes (lower red-purple)
    [supercomputer like parts, super-advanced drone cores perhaps]

KSPIE also uses it for it advanced artificial intelligence cores

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If this is meant for all  modders to to use, then why does it have color coding for specific mods?

I realize it's historical, but shouldn't it be updated?

At the time when the graphic was made it would be so, perhaps as examples only Nertea's mods are named in the comment markers in the interactive version (which I'm surprised is functioning again), and KSPI-E with its immense scope is able to fill quite a lot of tech nodes.

Also all of the specific mods represented by colors are titans (huge mods, it's a sin not to know their names lol). 

I agree that the chart could do with an update, if only so that the unlinked nodes aren't unlinked anymore and a comment like mine above be added to give insight into approaching groups of these nodes to know which ones fit X new mod's new parts.

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If this is meant for all  modders to to use, then why does it have color coding for specific mods?

I realize it's historical, but shouldn't it be updated?

The colours aren't mods, they're themes.

@Nertea I would like to make proposal for change for the existing fusion tech nodes

Currently the situation is the following

KYwnF9M.png

Fusion Power and Fusion Rocketry lead to  Advanced Fusion Reaction, which continues to Expotic Fusion and eventualy High Density Fusion

in comparison to our nuclear fusion branches, which have seperate branches for nuclear propulsion and nuclear power, this is extremely limited.

Therefore I would like to propose we split the last 3 fusion technodes into 2 separate branches, like this

I5Zsgs5.png

This will allow the nuclear power breach to continue in a straight line into the fusion power branch and allow us to put more propulsion focused part and upgrades to continue in its own branch.

For the names of the 3 new technodes I propose the following:

id advFusionRockets specializedFusionRockets exoticFusionRockets
title Advanced Fusion Rockets Specialized Fusion Rockets Exotic Fusion Rockets
cost 2250 4000 10000

Edit: I implemented the necessary changes in new new pull request

Edited by FreeThinker

I am tired of new tech nodes proliferating willy-nilly everywhere. Particularly when they don't really benefit more than than one mod. Seems like change for the sake of change and for needing more icons, really.  

On 2/24/2018 at 2:41 AM, FreeThinker said:

This will allow the nuclear power breach to continue in a straight line into the fusion power branch and allow us to put more propulsion focused part and upgrades to continue in its own branch.

Advances in Nuclear Power and Nuclear Propulsion should go hand-in-hand imo.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I'd hate to see the tree become cluttered with even more empty nodes when only one or two mods would benefit. As it is, many nodes go unused, and unless you have a mod that hides unused nodes, it gets to be a bit cumbersome.

There is Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes, but the more empty nodes there are the more "forced" people would feel to use it, instead of just the people who want to.

15 hours ago, ev0 said:

There is Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes, but the more empty nodes there are the more "forced" people would feel to use it, instead of just the people who want to.

Heh... yeah...
Needing a mod just to "clean-up" a mod, just so *that* mod, supports a specific *other* mod... :roll_eyes:

19 hours ago, Nertea said:

Particularly when they don't really benefit more than than one mod. 

Well I think you are wrong on that assessment. There are as least several mods I know of which could benefit from them

among them are

• your upcomming Future Propulsion Mod,
  • Angels  Deep Space Exploration mod
  • RoverDude Karbonite Plus Mod.

And these are just the most popular mod, there are also several less well known mods that have high tech fusion engine and reactors that would benefit from the distinction between Fusion energy and fusion propulsion

Edited by FreeThinker

Actually, in DSEV's case, the fusion reactors and engines are developed at the same time, so splitting them up in CTT would be inconsistent with what I have when CTT isn't installed. I like having fusion tech as a broad term because from a play perspective my tech tree isn't cluttered and I'm not wasting several hundred science points just to gain 1-2 parts. I need those science points to feed BARIS and improve quality. :)