[1.12.x] Community Tech Tree (July 3)

Nertea

@sarbian and @politas effectively pulled/deactivated the installation of all mods with module manager dependency from ckan.

edit: So since sarbian did the request and politas simply acted on it according to new policy, sarbian now decides if mods with MM dependency are allowed/installable via ckan, CTT included. This is just an explanation why CTT is not available via ckan as you asked, for more info, go to one of the threads about ckan.

Edited by Yemo

I am sincerely sorry for any inconvenience cause by the current CKAN brouhaha. I do feel that we are moving forward to a much better CKAN with stronger community support, and ask CKAN users to have patience during this process.

23 hours ago, ev0 said:

Speaking of the OP, the SpaceDock link is missing, even though this mod is uploaded there and up to date (here). Also, the CurseForge link is broken.

Thanks for letting me know, I've adjusted them. 

On 6/24/2016 at 3:47 PM, FreeThinker said:

@Nertea For a future version of CTT, I would like if a few additional high tech nodes were added, needed for KSPI-E.

Specifically:

- a 4th Radiator tech (at 4000 science)

- an additional Science tech node (at 4000 science)

- and  2 additional electric tech nodes (2250 science  and 4000 science)

1) OK!
2) Does this mean that Ultra High Energy Physics would now come off this new node?
3) So the 2250 one will be in the same tier as Microwave Power Transmission (so there is a branch off Electrical Systems)?

Do you have any preferences for the names of these nodes?

I also propose a second antimatter node off of the current Antimatter node at 10000 science.

1 minute ago, Nertea said:

2) Does this mean that Ultra High Energy Physics would now come off this new node?

no, keep this as it is

2 minutes ago, Nertea said:

3) So the 2250 one will be in the same tier as Microwave Power Transmission (so there is a branch off Electrical Systems)?

No it should extend the electrical branch, it is specifically mend for high tech future electrical technologies

4 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Do you have any preferences for the names of these nodes?

No preference , just make them sound generic in the same CTT tradition

5 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I also propose a second antimatter node off of the current Antimatter node at 10000 science.

Sound good to me,

14 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

No it should extend the electrical branch, it is specifically mend for high tech future electrical technologies

23 minutes ago, Nertea said:

What I mean is that there's already Microwave Power Transmission at the 2250 level coming straight off Electrical Systems. So any new nodes will either be in that level (same as microwave power, so there would be a minor branch) or start at the next level (so your nodes would be 4000 and 10000).

----ES----MP
         \--NewTech1 -------- NewTech2

or

----ES----MP
         \-----------------------NewTech1 -------- NewTech2

11 minutes ago, Nertea said:

What I mean is that there's already Microwave Power Transmission at the 2250 level coming straight off Electrical Systems. So any new nodes will either be in that level (same as microwave power, so there would be a minor branch) or start at the next level (so your nodes would be 4000 and 10000).

----ES----MP
         \--NewTech1 -------- NewTech2

or

----ES----MP
         \-----------------------NewTech1 -------- NewTech2

Neither, is should continue High Tech Electrical Systems Technode (1500 Science)

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Neither, is should continue High Tech Electrical Systems Technode (1500 Science)

So the first one. Because Microwave Power Transmission comes off Electrical Systems too. 

5 minutes ago, Nertea said:

So the first one. Because Microwave Power Transmission comes off Electrical Systems too. 

Alright, I misunderstood. Now that understand your picture, it would be the Second Picture, For esthetics I would only make it look like this:

----ES-----------------NewTech1 -------- NewTech2
         \-----------------MP

Edited by FreeThinker

em i have a mini problem later i was having the younge tech tree loaded on my ksp carrier and now when i load this tech tree all nodes icons are messy i mean they are up from another and theat how to explain

21 hours ago, hazeuk said:

em i have a mini problem later i was having the younge tech tree loaded on my ksp carrier and now when i load this tech tree all nodes icons are messy i mean they are up from another and theat how to explain

I think you should post your problem in the Engenering Tech tree

Hello everyone!

Question: 

Is there a career / contract pack / tech tree mod (other than realism overhaul) that adjust the game for real solar system WITHOUT requiring tonnes of additional mods and parts? Just a simple conversion of the career contracts and tech tree into something that makes sense for RSS

• 2 weeks later...

Can you help me fill some empty nodes in the Tech Tree?

- Recycling, Hydroponics, Colonisation, Advanced Colonisation

- Simple Command Modules, Specialized Command Modules

- Advanced Aerospace Engineering, Aerospace Composites, Exotic Alloys, Specialized Flight Systems, Efficient Flight Systems

- Advanced Actuators, Experimental Actuators, Resource Exploitation

- Advanced Gridded Thrusters, Experimental Gridded Thrusters

Thanks!

Wow this is all so awesome looking . . . So I installed this mod and all the ones listed on the first post as being "good partners." My mod-list (is there a better way to collect this in text form or something?)

bai05.gif

My question: with that set of mods, would it be normal that some of the tech paths in CTT do not have any parts available?

For example: Advanced Actuators (and several of its children) Recycling & Storage Technology and all of their children, Aerospace Composites, and Experimental Aircraft Engines.

45 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

Wow this is all so awesome looking . . . So I installed this mod and all the ones listed on the first post as being "good partners." My mod-list (is there a better way to collect this in text form or something?)

bai05.gif

My question: with that set of mods, would it be normal that some of the tech paths in CTT do not have any parts available?

For example: Advanced Actuators (and several of its children) Recycling & Storage Technology and all of their children, Aerospace Composites, and Experimental Aircraft Engines.

You do have a few of those mods mis-installed.  As an example: On the left you can see that UKS contains a GameData folder - the contents of that folder should be in this folder, not nested in a sub-folder like they are.  USI-LS is similar, as is SpaceY, and a couple of others I can see in there.  You also have two copies of ModuleManager - one is enough.

If think if you fix those you'll get a few of those tech paths having parts, but I'm not sure if all of them will.

Those one click mod manager apps for games like Fallout and Skyrim have me spoiled!

Actually just as you posted that response, I had deleted the entire contents of my GameData and I'm reinstalling everything and making sure I don't create redundant copies and so forth.

ADDIT: Ha! of course there IS a "one click mod manager:" [url=https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases/tag/v1.18.1]CKAN[/url]

Spoiler

Edited by Diche Bach
teaching myself how to install KSP mods

Don't trust CKAN to much - it's not as fool-proof as many of those mod managers for other games.  (Where everything has to go through the mod manager, and therefore follow it's standards.)  It's always a good idea to know how to install things yourself.  And usually the first troubleshooting step people will ask for if you're having trouble is to delete and re-install manually, just to make sure CKAN isn't acting up again.

Just now, Diche Bach said:

Okay cool. I'll install them manually then do a check with CKAN.

You cant do a check with ckan after a manual install, you can do a manual check after installing via ckan.

question: Should CTT be installed like this:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CommunityTechTree\Tree

or without the " CommunityTechTree" level parent directory?

6 minutes ago, Yemo said:

You cant do a check with ckan after a manual install, you can do a manual check after installing via ckan.

Hmmm . . . well I guess I'll just skip CKAN then . . . one less thing to learn to use properly . . .

ADDIT: there we go! Unless I made some mis-clicks that should be correct

7DZsY.gif

Edited by Diche Bach
finished

That looks better.  :wink:

Note that I wasn't saying 'don't use CKAN'.  I was saying 'don't blindly trust CKAN'.  It's a good tool and a lot of people like it.  (It doesn't work at all on my computer, so I don't have personal experience.)  But we also get a lot of 'I must have installed it correctly, I used CKAN!!!' posts when something's broken, so it's good to know that 'installed using CKAN' and 'installed correctly' aren't necessarily synonyms.  :wink: