[1.12.x] Community Tech Tree (July 3)

Nertea

I haven't had any issues with CKAN breaking things, just a couple of mods I was looking for weren't available through it.

4 hours ago, Diche Bach said:

(is there a better way to collect this in text form or something?)

CKAN can do this.  File > Export Installed Mods... and choose .txt format instead of .ckan format.  Note that it only works for stuff you used CKAN to install.

4 hours ago, Diche Bach said:

My question: with that set of mods, would it be normal that some of the tech paths in CTT do not have any parts available?

For example: Advanced Actuators (and several of its children) Recycling & Storage Technology and all of their children, Aerospace Composites, and Experimental Aircraft Engines.

I've seen several empty nodes as well.  Could be I just don't have any mods installed that use them; can't say for sure.

I still had some sort of problem that I think related to the one of the mods I hadn't installed previously. The game initialization locked up when I attempted to boot the game with that manually installed list above.

So, I cleared out GameData again, and gave CKAN a whirl: naturally this led to an even more bloated list of mods! 634MB left to download. Hopefully my rig won't explode when I attempt to boot the game.

4 minutes ago, SilverlightPony said:

I haven't had any issues with CKAN breaking things, just a couple of mods I was looking for weren't available through it.

CKAN can do this.  File > Export Installed Mods... and choose .txt format instead of .ckan format.  Note that it only works for stuff you used CKAN to install.

I've seen several empty nodes as well.  Could be I just don't have any mods installed that use them; can't say for sure.

I noticed a mod in the list in CKAN: something about empty node, which I'm installing. It supposedly tech nodes without any parts to not display and will tree up the loose ends.

3 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

naturally this led to an even more bloated list of mods! 634MB left to download.

For comparison, my 1.1.2 mod list:  http://pastebin.com/Qn6Aybxi

4 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

Hopefully my rig won't explode when I attempt to boot the game.

Assuming you're running 64-bit Windows (which you should be in this day and age), make sure CKAN is set to run the 64-bit version of the game by going Settings > KSP command line... and changing KSP.exe to KSP_x64.exe .  The full text field in the dialog should read:

KSP_x64.exe -single-instance

3 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

I noticed a mod in the list in CKAN: something about empty node, which I'm installing. It supposedly tech nodes without any parts to not display and will tree up the loose ends.

Oooh, nice.  Now I just need to find a 1.1.2-compatible version to manually install; shouldn't be hard.

Oh I'm definitely running it 64-bit. Generally I don't notice any performance issues. But if I run the game for quite a while, my rig gets a bit noisier. I'm about a year overdue on opening the case and sucking the dust out, but I suffered a disaster with my old rig when the hard drive dropped onto concrete so I'm a tad bit "gun shy" on opening this one . . .

I'm off topic here, but just one last thing I think worth commenting on: CKAN seems pretty good and one thing I do like about it: it presents a lot of mods in one list. I learned of several I'm very hopeful about (an orbital construction one in particular) from the CKAN list.

Edited by Diche Bach
more info

Whoo hoo! I finally seem to have everything I'd like installed and running :) Yippee! Orbital Assembly!

The one question I have remaining is: should I consider a couple more mods?

0v8CV.gif

Specifically, I note that just a few of the nodes in the Community Tech Tree do not have any parts associated with them:

1. Colonization & Advanced Colonization

2. Resource Exploitation

3. Colossal Rocketry

4. Advanced Solar Technology (and it's two child nodes)

5. Specialized Command Modules

6. Advanced Actuators and Experimental Actuators (robotics I guess?)

I'm pretty sure I've installed all of your mods Nertea, is there anything else you (or anyone else) is aware of that affords assets to fill those nodes? I'd particularly be keen for colonization.

22 hours ago, SilverlightPony said:

For comparison, my 1.1.2 mod list:  http://pastebin.com/Qn6Aybxi

This was very helpful Pony! As you can see, I've installed a lot of yours. I would've kept shopping those on your list but I'm literally exhausted from installing mods and would like to play the game a bit.

Edited by Diche Bach

I don't keep a database of what mod adds what, but Advanced Solar Technology and its children certainly are populated by NF Solar. (1) was requested by RoverDude for future projects, (2) is similarly targeted. (3) was requested by one of the big rocket mods, (5) I thought I had some stuff in, guess I was wrong, (6) was requested by IR folks. 

I believe Necrobones' SpaceY Heavy Lifters pack and SpaceY expansion (which add a bunch of 5m and 7.5m parts, respecively) fill the Colossal Rocketry node. Technically, I think it's just the expansion that fills is, but the regular heavy lifter pack is a dependency.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's that major-KSP-release time of year again, so let's talk about CTT 3.0. Here's what I have planned:

• Node art for all nodes (finally! and the reason for the major version bump)
    • Calling people who are good at icon concepting! If I don't get ideas, you're just going to get silly things like trefoils with +, ++, +++ etc :P. 
  • Several new techs (names might be subject to change, locations are more or less final)
    • Experimental Radiators (Heat, T12)
    • High Power Electrical Systems (Electrics, T11)
    • Experimental Electrical Systems (Electrics, T12)
    • Experimental Physics (Science, T12)

Nothing major, but particularly, @FreeThinker, confirm this is what you want :). 

Edited by Nertea

I have made a start on iconography, some are good, some are bad. You can follow the progress on the CTT 3.0 Gliffy (takes a while to load). Notice you can now mouse over the tech icons to see what mods contribute... I'm going to solicit lists for this, then I'll populate them. I hope that this will reduce the "what mods contribute to what node" questions. 

On 9/14/2016 at 3:27 PM, theonegalen said:

Nice! Would it be possible to get some art for propellerEngines nodes I mod in? Currently I just use the radioactive trefoil, which is somewhat less than exciting. :P

I don't usually make things randomly for other mods. You'll be free to re-use whatever I make for CTT as per the license. There will probs be some propellers for the subsonic propulsion nodes. 

For the upcoming version, can I request that the default node locations are placed so that there are no tech lines intersecting a node icon? As seen in the images below, the placement of "Very Large Rockets" creates a tech line going through "Nuclear Propulsion", and I think "Microwave Power Transmission" creates a tech line going through "Advanced Photovoltaic Materials".

Sq6d00y.png

iJdyP5d.png

On 9/16/2016 at 5:52 PM, Nertea said:

\I don't usually make things randomly for other mods. You'll be free to re-use whatever I make for CTT as per the license. There will probs be some propellers for the subsonic propulsion nodes. 

That's understandable. I have done some of my own art for propeller tech nodes, but I could never figure out how to get them to work in game.

On 9/18/2016 at 9:08 AM, ev0 said:

For the upcoming version, can I request that the default node locations are placed so that there are no tech lines intersecting a node icon? As seen in the images below, the placement of "Very Large Rockets" creates a tech line going through "Nuclear Propulsion", and I think "Microwave Power Transmission" creates a tech line going through "Advanced Photovoltaic Materials".

Sq6d00y.png

iJdyP5d.png

I'll check those, but those damn lines sometimes don't go where I want :P. 

20 hours ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

Is CTT already compatible with 1.2 pre-release? Or no? (not rushing development or anything, just wondering if I should spend time downloading and installing or not)

No support until officially updated. 

On ‎19‎-‎9‎-‎2016 at 7:05 PM, Nertea said:

I'll check those, but those damn lines sometimes don't go where I want :P. 

I propose a simple solution, make Microwave Power Transmission require Cutting edge solar technology instead of Advanced Solar Technology, I plan to use Cutting edge solar technology for KSPI-E C  High power beamed power receiver  in UV/Solar spectrum.

Edited by FreeThinker

54 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I propose a simple solution, make Microwave Power Transmission require Cutting edge solar technology instead of Advanced Solar Technology, I plan to use Cutting edge solar technology for KSPI-E C  High power beamed power receiver  in UV/Solar spectrum.

That is indeed easier than rearrangement, I'll see how that looks.

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

That is indeed easier than rearrangement, I'll see how that looks.

Also the tech lines will always curve at the halfway point between the child and parent tech nodes, in case this tidbit might help with node placement!

On 18-9-2016 at 6:08 PM, ev0 said:

-- snip --

My PR fixed the line going through "Advanced Photovoltaic Materials". Regarding the first one, the node(s) will need to get moved a bit but @Nertea will need to decide how that will go.

On 19-9-2016 at 1:53 AM, Budz42 said:

IIRC from the 1.1 KSP release, Nertea said that it is technically compatible with future updates, but it won't have all the features he wants in it until the mod is officially updated. So you can install it, but it won't do much on its own without other mods populating the tech nodes.

In 1.2 the techtree config changed the "z" value but these were are also updated in the PR.

• 2 weeks later...

God knows how many times people have asked this and yet here I am again. I shudder to think how this is going to go down.... 

Well I decided to take the plunge and installed the CTT. I did install it before on my first round of a career save but was just so overwhelmed with all of the new techs that I promptly uninstalled it. After a disaster in my last career I decided to start again and was browsing through CKAN when I spotted it again and thought 'hell, now's my chance!'. So I installed it and found as many of the mods to fill the missing nodes as I could but I still have something like 18 empty or single module nodes. So I am absolutely missing more than a few mods. 

So the question, and again I beg your forgiveness in advance; is there a comprehensive list of what mods apply to the nodes? I have been looking but can't seem to find one anywhere. Now I could list what I am missing but like I say, it's about 18 nodes and I am still searching while I wait for a reply and I don't want to waste anyone's time (other than perhaps this message doing so). 

Secondly, the stockalike stations mod mentioned on the front page does not seem to be on CKAN, I understand that CKAN is not to everyone's taste but I just want to confirm that I am not missing it before I install it manually. 

Thanks for your time and bravo on the excellent expansion of KSP. I have only made it as far as landing on Minmus, this is going to add greatly to my experience! 

2 hours ago, Alexology said:

Secondly, the stockalike stations mod mentioned on the front page does not seem to be on CKAN, I understand that CKAN is not to everyone's taste but I just want to confirm that I am not missing it before I install it manually.

It is in CKAN, but it will only show up if your copy of KSP is a version the mod is compatible with.  Judging by the changelog in that mod's thread, it hasn't been updated to 1.1.3 yet, so if you're using 1.1.3, you won't see it.

(Mods not being updated yet is the reason my main career game is still on 1.1.2.)