[1.12.x] Community Tech Tree (July 3)

Nertea

KSP 1.12.x 

Community Tech Tree [3.4.4] 
Last Updated July 3, 2021

The Community Tech Tree is a mod designed to extend the stock technology tree to accommodate many community mods in an inclusive and extensible manner. This takes the form of expansions to the current tech tree. It provides new and extended branches for command pods, thermal management, ion engines, nuclear power and propulsion, and many more useful nodes. 

XCkHCrs.png

You'll need to install ModuleManager version 2.7.1 or higher, if you don't already have it, in order to extend the tree.

The Community Tech Tree will not assign parts to mods itself, instead, it is up to mods to support it themselves. Any mod that does not support the CTT will still work just fine, it will just not take advantage of new tech nodes that are added. 

If a mod you like doesn't support the tree, let the author know, or produce your own patch to add support. The best way to to do this is via ModuleManager patches. See the guide for details

If you are a modder, you can link to this little icon if your mod supports or bundles the CTT:

lyJSFKi.png

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why do I see so many empty nodes!
A: Because of the current state of KSP tech tree modding.
There are compromises to having empty nodes hidden (little lines leading to nowhere).

Q: I hate the empty nodes, how do I get rid of them?
A: I suggest you use @ev0's mod, Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes.

Q: How do I fill up the empty nodes?
A: Find mods that support the tree. 

Q: I want to add a new node for my mod, can you add it?
A: To avoid tree bloat (a problem in the past), I have a strict requirement that at minimum 2 mods must want a node before I will consider adding it.
Take your node idea, talk to other relevant mod authors to see if they'd use it, then come to me with approvals from the stakeholders and we will work towards that. 

Q: Why isn't this realistic? There's still manned pods first!
A: The goal of this project is not to redo the tech tree, it's to extend it

Q: How do I add my mod to the CTT?
A: Consult the ForModders.txt in the download for full instructions.

Q: How do I get mods to fill up every node?
A: Dig around/ I provide a framework and the information in the thread - there is no "complete list" or anything. 

Q: How much science does it take to unlock the tree?
A:
Lots! I don't have exact numbers for 2.0+.

Q: I supported the CTT but I'm not on that list up there!
A:
PM me or post here, I'll make sure you're on the list. Unfortunately I don't have time to scrape lots of mods for their status.

Supported Mods

Licensing

• This work is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 license.

Download
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock) 
 Secondary (CurseForge)

Tertiary (GitHub)

Issue Tracking and Source

If you appreciate this project, please consider contributing to my caffeine addiction! I really appreciate it, and also helps justify this time sink to my wife , which results directly in more models. btn_donate_SM.gif

88x31.png

Edited by Nertea

Hooray! Nertea, thank you so much! We're using this for RP-0, and so your release timing is perfect! I'm going to be playing a game with this tonight. :D

I'm also delighted to say the CTT is indexed in the CKAN, and will pull in both ModuleManager and TechManager for you automatically:

ckan.exe update
ckan.exe install CommunityTechTree

Thank you again!

~ Paul

It looks like TechManager manages to have multiple non-conflicting tech trees by defining the whole tree. This tree editing tool might help you make one for this mod so that it plays nice with other trees.

The issue isn't quite the same. CTT does not assign any parts to nodes, instead mods assign them via MM patches that are applied if CTT is installed. Because MM can't detect which tree you are running with TechManager, if you load a non-CTT tree with CTT present, it's possible that parts could be placed by MM in inappropriate nodes.

ZOMG. I've been waiting for this to start my "real" (start over at tech level 0, no cheats, no funds-to-science) career mode game again. The only question is whether to wait for other mod authors to provide "official" integration or just start patching them in.

The mod community for this game is amazing -- it feels like not only did you guys finish KSP, you then went on to write KSP II. Thumbs up would become wildly obsessed again.

This cfg moves some of the parts added in 0.23.5 to other stock nodes. I include it here because this cfg incorporates Taurus HCV into CTT, and it doesn't make sense to put the 3.75m separator from that mod where I have unless you also put the stock 3.75m decoupler where the first cfg does, and I may as well move some of the other parts from the NASAmission folder to more sensible nodes while I'm at it.

This is very cool. I'm considering adding some small configs to both MRS and SpaceY, to move just a few parts into CTT nodes. Most of the parts in my packs are meant to just slip into the existing tech line-up, but I'm thinking the quad-nuke in MRS could go into "improved nuclear propulsion" and the biggest engine+SRB in SpaceY could go to "gigantic rocketry". That's a small amount to put into higher nodes, but it's something that would make sense for those who use CTT anyway.

I'll look into it, and let you know if I push out a version with it.

@PART[panel-static01]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
@TechRequired = advSolarTech
}

Should this include TechManager as well?

@PART[panel-static01]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,TechManager]
{
@TechRequired = advSolarTech
}

That should avoid the situation where someone installs this but not TechManager, or deletes TechManager at some point (never underestimate the ability of people to screw up things like this :confused:).

I'll be adding such configs to Orbital Science when I update sometime this week or next. I'll add SCANsat configs at some point too.

This is very cool. I'm considering adding some small configs to both MRS and SpaceY, to move just a few parts into CTT nodes. Most of the parts in my packs are meant to just slip into the existing tech line-up, but I'm thinking the quad-nuke in MRS could go into "improved nuclear propulsion" and the biggest engine+SRB in SpaceY could go to "gigantic rocketry". That's a small amount to put into higher nodes, but it's something that would make sense for those who use CTT anyway.

I'll look into it, and let you know if I push out a version with it.

Excellent, exactly as planned :).

There's a typo that's making Advanced MetalWorks not contain any parts. The techID should be advancedMetalworks, with a lower case "w". (The current release spells it with a capital one.)

Good catch, I'll push a fix this evening.

Should this include TechManager as well?

That should avoid the situation where someone installs this but not TechManager, or deletes TechManager at some point (never underestimate the ability of people to screw up things like this :confused:).

I'll be adding such configs to Orbital Science when I update sometime this week or next. I'll add SCANsat configs at some point too.

Ah yes, that's quite a good point. I'll update the guide to compensate for this type of user error

Whilst I'm here, I've updated the Taurus HCV cfg (link). The MCT-8 Omnibus Storage Container can now be found in Long Term Habitation, as opposed to Exotic Alloys.

Also, here is a cfg that moves the cone and radial chutes from RealChutes to the nodes immediately following their stock counterparts (Basic Rocketry for the cone chute, Enhanced Survivability for the radial chute).

The issue isn't quite the same. CTT does not assign any parts to nodes, instead mods assign them via MM patches that are applied if CTT is installed. Because MM can't detect which tree you are running with TechManager, if you load a non-CTT tree with CTT present, it's possible that parts could be placed by MM in inappropriate nodes.

(Sorry for the delay in answering.) Is the patching necessary, though? TechManager and Mod-Oriented Tech Tree seem to manage alternate tech trees just fine without it. Does it offer additional functionality?

(Sorry for the delay in answering.) Is the patching necessary, though? TechManager and Mod-Oriented Tech Tree seem to manage alternate tech trees just fine without it. Does it offer additional functionality?

As a design practice, CTT tells TechManager to create empty nodes, then allows anybody to create a ModuleManager config to put their parts in those nodes. Other tech trees that are available include the data on how to move parts in the tree config and let TechManager handle the reassignments, but the ModuleManager approach is easier for mod authors to participate in without taking up the CTT maintainers' time.