[1.12.x] Community Tech Tree (July 3)

Nertea

What's the issue? I mean, you're only going to unlock nodes in order to get to parts that you want. That means in order to use those parts, you need to research all of the technology that you need to make it possible. So, you don't always get a cookie.

Then what would hapen, you couldn't progress because the required node is invisible? There's no other way around? I don't really know how to feel about having empty nodes from mods I know I'll never use.

The previous version had empty nodes be invisible and relied on mod authors unhiding any relevant nodes that were needed to reach their parts. I was (and still am) in favour of this approach as it results in a clean tree, but the vocal majority wanted the entire tree to be visible instead. That's coming from the view of both a player and a modder.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

The previous version had empty nodes be invisible and relied on mod authors unhiding any relevant nodes that were needed to reach their parts. I was (and still am) in favour of this approach as it results in a clean tree, but the vocal majority wanted the entire tree to be visible instead. That's coming from the view of both a player and a modder.

Eek, that silly vocal majority :P

I was surprised to see all the empty nodes pop up everywhere when I moved to CTT2.1. It's not the end of the world or anything, but a cleaned-up tech tree would sure be a lot nicer. No worries though.

Edited by Wheffle
typo

I am trying to use KSPInterstellar, along with Kerbal alarm clock, Scansat, Mechjeb, Kerbal attachment system, Fasa and one or two other mods. I can not see any parts past the initial nuclear engine, and want to use the reactors.... Help?

FullerBot

I am trying to use KSPInterstellar, along with Kerbal alarm clock, Scansat, Mechjeb, Kerbal attachment system, Fasa and one or two other mods. I can not see any parts past the initial nuclear engine, and want to use the reactors.... Help?

FullerBot

Lmao, Who's version of KSPInterstellar? Factuals, Wavefunctions, Boris's, or Freethinkers? :P

You may want to post in that person's threads to have them check their CTT configs. This thread only posts the Tech Tree & the community created patches people make for existing mods (who's devs don't include one). If the parts are missing chances are the mod author either hasn't accounted for the node changes, or still have the Techmanager filter on their CTT configs (Since Tech Manager is no longer needed its not part of the install anymore).

Seems like it would be downright neighbourly of KSPX to support the CTT. Maybe I'll approach them, considering we have exactly those two nodes.

That being said, new icons are on my todo list (1 km long...)

FullerBot said:
I am using this version, found here:

[Defunct link removed by a moderator]

Then you will probobly want to post here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111159-WIP-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-Extended

And see if FreeThinker will update his CTT configuration file. It looks like that package is still configured for 0.90. The tree (both stock & CTT) have changed with the 1.0+ game versions.

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

If I understand ModuleManager correctly, you could theoretically re-arrange the tech tree depending on what mods the player has installed. Is that correct?

If I understand ModuleManager correctly, you could theoretically re-arrange the tech tree depending on what mods the player has installed. Is that correct?

Possibly, but then it would not be a stable tech tree. Also the issue with rearrangement based on mods is that it falls apart when a mod attempts to (rightfully) use CTT as a stable base, but you've decided to hide/move nodes based on mod existance, without anticipating mods you may not know about.

Then, who decides what happens to the new empty spots? in other words, it gets pear shaped very quickly.

As it stands, I just scan past the empty nodes and look for the goodies I want - no muss, no fuss.

Theoretically yes, technically no :P

Yes you could though the amount of work involved would be rather massive especially if you where to invest the effort to provide combinations needed to account for mods that skip nodes (since you would have to do 3 configs... 1 with both on, 1 with one off and the other one, and one reversed one off and one on).

No for 2 reasons.

1) You would have to monitor every mod for part changes and update accordingly. Leaving it to individual mods to make their own config for theirs only would just mess with your combinations..

2) Not every mod provides a DLL for MM to target. So mods that are pure parts packs with no actual non-stock code to them couldn't be used in MM "NEEDS" statements to filter them.

In reality the only way to truly account for all the combinations would be to rewrite the entire tree (Like ADIOS and a few others have done) to make a specific set of "Core" nodes and then keep all the mod added nodes to they own offshoots that could be disabled as needed. Problem with that route is that your basically skewing away from the "Stock" style that alot of people like and what CTT was designed to keep closely to.

:)

EDIT: Lmao ninjaed by Rover :P

Not every mod provides a DLL for MM to target. So mods that are pure parts packs with no actual non-stock code to them couldn't be used in MM "NEEDS" statements to filter them.

Actually, you can use the name of the mod's folder in Game Data for that. Not that that suddenly makes Probus' idea feasible.

When I use CTT with Karbonite+ it causes the drills not to show up in the VAB parts list. They appear in the fuelSystems node in the tech tree, and show as purchased, but simply don't appear in the VAB parts list. No idea if this is a CTT or Karbonite issue.

I have nothing against the empty nodes. I understand why it is the way it is. I think it would be neat if someone could develop an optional companion plugin that could allow you to toggle the visibility of empty nodes in the R&D screen or add some visual cue that a node is empty; that way, you're not having to click around to see if a node has parts you can unlock. I'd take a stab at it myself, as I've had an idea for a career mode overhaul for sometime and would give me some experience for the API regarding the tech tree, but I have RL things pre-occupying me at the time.

When I use CTT with Karbonite+ it causes the drills not to show up in the VAB parts list. They appear in the fuelSystems node in the tech tree, and show as purchased, but simply don't appear in the VAB parts list. No idea if this is a CTT or Karbonite issue.

You're asking in the wrong thread, and I already published a patch ;)

Did a search but didn't find anything:

Since the USI and community tech tree patch, I have doubles of all items in my tech tree in my current save. Is there a way to purge or reset the tree? New games work fine, it's only in my current save.

For example 'Advanced Construction' now also contains USI station parts. The node is unlocked, yet I don't have the items in the VAB (as it should be as I haven't unlocked the lower tech nodes (Hydroponics, ect.) where they are also visible.

Couldn't find the answer anywhere else, so i figured i would ask, what mods would I need to not have empty nodes, for example the enhanced survivability nodes? and are the bottom two node trees filled out completly by MKS/OKS?