[1.12.x] Community Tech Tree (July 3)

Nertea

I'm having this strange issue with Near Future Construction and CTT where some of the octo-hub structural parts are in the Exotic Alloys node rather than Nanolathing, as is suggested by their .cfg files. specifically the octo girder hub, angular connector and the radial attach node. manually editing the save file to put them into the node doesn't give them to me. it shows them as unlocked in the R&D building but i don't have them in the editor. any idea why this is happening? it's really frustrating.

Edited by Specific Alduin

On 11/12/2019 at 1:16 PM, paul23 said:

Since this is a community pack, who is responsible for managing the version number and compatible versions? - Should we update it to include 1.8.1?

I am, but sometimes I go on vacation

Marked for 1.8 now, no changes really.

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 1:12 AM, Havan_IronOak56 said:

Dumb question but I looked and I didn't find it. What tech unlocks the basic RoveMate ?

QuickSearch is a godsend for part lookup.

At least in my CTT+UnKerballedStart tree it's in Flight Control  (about Tier 4)

On 1/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, Beetlecat said:

QuickSearch is a godsend for part lookup.

At least in my CTT+UnKerballedStart tree it's in Flight Control  (about Tier 4)

A Quicksearch sounds great... but where would I do that? I'm guessing that you DON'T mean in the VAB - that doesn't show parts that haven't been unlocked yet... ANd I don't see ANY quick search facility in the R&D tech tree screen.

I may be missing something obvious but then this IS rocket science!

3 minutes ago, Havan_IronOak56 said:

A Quicksearch sounds great... but where would I do that? I'm guessing that you DON'T mean in the VAB - that doesn't show parts that haven't been unlocked yet... ANd I don't see ANY quick search facility in the R&D tech tree screen.

I may be missing something obvious but then this IS rocket science!

I'm trying to find the 'Tundra' Assembly Plant and 'Ranger' Workshop parts from MKS, but can't find them in the tech tree.  Is there any easy way to find where these are hiding? Likely right in front of my face, but could use some help.

3 hours ago, kormer said:

I'm trying to find the 'Tundra' Assembly Plant and 'Ranger' Workshop parts from MKS, but can't find them in the tech tree.  Is there any easy way to find where these are hiding? Likely right in front of my face, but could use some help.

The post above yours is a key one because it tells you that this mod is not responsible for part locations. It would be great to ask that in the MKS thread, someone can likely help you there better.

Alternately, the post above that one would be useful as it has a link to a mod that lets you search for this.

11 hours ago, Nertea said:

The post above yours is a key one because it tells you that this mod is not responsible for part locations. It would be great to ask that in the MKS thread, someone can likely help you there better.

Alternately, the post above that one would be useful as it has a link to a mod that lets you search for this.

Thanks for the heads up.  I had tried the quicksearch mod earlier and came up with nothing there.

I just went back to the source files and found the node the part should be attached to.  Unfortunately the part isn't there, likely from some other mod conflict.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 12:48 PM, kormer said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I had tried the quicksearch mod earlier and came up with nothing there.

I just went back to the source files and found the node the part should be attached to.  Unfortunately the part isn't there, likely from some other mod conflict.

It's a problem with the textures from Restock. A lot of parts from MKS that use stock textures aren't beeing loaded to the game. I'm still looking for a solution. 

2 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Have you raised this in the Restock thread?

They are aware of this possibility because of how the mod works. They also have a thread in restock's github explaining how to prevent this. But with MKS, it's a huge amount of parts and  diferent textures, so i don't know how to do it, without manually whitelisting part by part.

• 2 weeks later...

Some content has been removed.

If you don't like a mod, that's fine.  Just don't use it.

If you're having problems with a mod, that's fine too!  Most things are fixable.

However insulting the mod or mod maker is inappropriate.

Demanding things from the mod maker is also unacceptable.

If you're having issues with the mod, please request support in a polite manner, and provide as much information as possible so the mod makers can address your issue.

Thank you.

Here's a weird thing ... with CTT installed, if you use the cheat menu to unlock all tech, the tree actually doesn't fully unlock:

https://imgur.com/9P6yRJX  (unable to embed images today). Some of the locked nodes do have parts in them.

This is obviously not a problem for most people. :)  I use this cheat to set up "sciencebox" games ... like sandbox, but you still get to use science parts and collect science. Anyway, plenty of ways to work around this, it just seemed odd!

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Here's a weird thing ... with CTT installed, if you use the cheat menu to unlock all tech, the tree actually doesn't fully unlock:

https://imgur.com/9P6yRJX  (unable to embed images today). Some of the locked nodes do have parts in them.

This is obviously not a problem for most people. :)  I use this cheat to set up "sciencebox" games ... like sandbox, but you still get to use science parts and collect science. Anyway, plenty of ways to work around this, it just seemed odd!

Nothing weird. It is something to be expected. You are using cheats over stock tech tree node names. So, cheating only unlocks known stock tech tree node names, it is not aware of custom CTT node names. CTT preserve stock tech tree nodes, so any mod with parts will be compatible with CTT even if there is not using any of new CTT tech tree nodes and even if such mod is not aware that CTT is installed.

If you need everything unlocked, it is much more simple to just use sandbox game mode.

19 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Nothing weird. It is something to be expected. You are using cheats over stock tech tree node names. So, cheating only unlocks known stock tech tree node names, it is not aware of custom CTT node names. CTT preserve stock tech tree nodes, so any mod with parts will be compatible with CTT even if there is not using any of new CTT tech tree nodes and even if such mod is not aware that CTT is installed.

If you need everything unlocked, it is much more simple to just use sandbox game mode.

It's a little weird isn't it? I believe ModuleManager replaces the TechTree node reference completely with a path to a new MM tech tree file, which is created using the MM files in this mod. So I'm surprised that the cheat doesn't use the RDNode nodes in the new tech tree. Instead it might be relying on a hard-coded list of node names, or a list that was created before MM was loaded.

3 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

You CAN use the unlock all tech from the cheat menu with CTT installed. You just have to do it twice. Once for the stock tech tree, twice for the rest. If you want to unlock the whole thing at once just ‘double click’ unlock.

Cheers,

Edited by Stratickus

4 hours ago, ev0 said:

It's a little weird isn't it? I believe ModuleManager replaces the TechTree node reference completely with a path to a new MM tech tree file, which is created using the MM files in this mod. So I'm surprised that the cheat doesn't use the RDNode nodes in the new tech tree. Instead it might be relying on a hard-coded list of node names, or a list that was created before MM was loaded.

Right, it's a tree, you just traverse it. My wild guess is that internally they retain the original tree, and the cheat is maybe iterating over the internal default tree instead of the live run-time tree, and some of the nodes are shared objects, so some appear unlocked. Wild guess.

4 hours ago, kcs123 said:

I took the time to spell out exactly why I wasn't using sandbox.

3 hours ago, Stratickus said:

You CAN use the unlock all tech from the cheat menu with CTT installed. You just have to do it twice. Once for the stock tech tree, twice for the rest. If you want to unlock the whole thing at once just ‘double click’ unlock.

ok it's slightly funny that it never dawned on me to even try this. i was too fascinated by it not working to try to get it to work! thanks for the info - will give it a go.