[1.12.x] Community Tech Tree (July 3)

Nertea

In previous versions, I thought it only showed me the nodes relevant to what I had installed... or am I imagining things?

It is a "feature" of KSP 1.0.x tech tree modding, that this is not supported (anymore, though previously tech tree modding was done using TechManager mod which is discontinued).

Though ev0 managed to create quite an elaborate workaround logic for the stock CTT to hide empty nodes (do not use this if you have CTT addons like SETIctt installed):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100385-1-02-Community-Tech-Tree-2-1-last-updated-06-05-15?p=2028249&viewfull=1#post2028249

Marked for 1.04 compatibility, don't see any issues.

Additionally trying to update the list of supported mods and provide some more up to date info in the OP, I've kinda let that slide due to lack of time.

Edited by Nertea

Hmm, (I am not yet using CTT so dont know for sure) would it be possible for the empty nodes to have a "note or tooltip or info box" of what mods will normally have parts in it?

That way people would know which mods they are missing out on. :D

Hmm, (I am not yet using CTT so dont know for sure) would it be possible for the empty nodes to have a "note or tooltip or info box" of what mods will normally have parts in it?

Hm, it would be possible to ammend the node descriptions with mod recommendations, but thats quite some work, I guess.

For SETIctt I made a commented screenshot of the tech tree, very roughly showing where mod parts are placed for it.

Well, this is about what I was hoping the ideal endgame for the CTT was, but never really had time to actually implement it. I'll investigate it further to see if it's worth bugging all the mod people to unhide their nodes again, but I'm pretty optimistic...

I would think it would be better to do the hiding dynamically with a plugin rather than doing it manually in configuration. This way it wouldn't require extra work from each addon author that uses CTT and would "just work" if other addons are adding more tech tree nodes. This code has been working for me so far:

https://github.com/nanathan/HideEmptyTech

All you have to do is compile it and drop the dll into your ksp/gamedata folder and the empty tech tree nodes go away.

HadToBeMordin made a nice gliffy/image in this post that shows at least some mods that officially support the CTT. It lists mods that you might be missing and their parts' node locations. Just click the links at the bottom. Though DMagic might have moved his parts around recently.

It is a "feature" of KSP 1.0.x tech tree modding, that this is not supported (anymore, though previously tech tree modding was done using TechManager mod which is discontinued).

Though ev0 managed to create quite an elaborate workaround logic for the stock CTT to hide empty nodes (do not use this if you have CTT addons like SETIctt installed):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100385-1-02-Community-Tech-Tree-2-1-last-updated-06-05-15?p=2028249&viewfull=1#post2028249

Nah, my method doesn't work with the CTT as it is. It would require modders to all do something that they aren't doing now. I recommend compiling nathan1's program above this post and seeing how that works out:wink:

I would think it would be better to do the hiding dynamically with a plugin rather than doing it manually in configuration. This way it wouldn't require extra work from each addon author that uses CTT and would "just work" if other addons are adding more tech tree nodes. This code has been working for me so far:

All you have to do is compile it and drop the dll into your ksp/gamedata folder and the empty tech tree nodes go away.

If this works dynamically, I recommend publishing it on Kerbalstuff.

There are quite a few other tech tree mods out there which would profit from such a plugin.

Hi

When i install the mod, i get not asked when i start a new game wich tech tree i want to use. Why ? What tech tree is then used ? (The Seti one, the CT or the stock one ?)

I want to use it with SETI-tech tree and the historic Mission pack.

Thanks for getting me on the right track.

Kinda the point with CTT is that you use it in it's entirety as your sole tech tree, since it's whole thing is to provide an established node framework that modders can then populate without having 'surprises' or the headache of a dozen interpretations. It's what makes it a reliable foundation for mods (and why we don't have to bother including it in the bundle). i.e. I assume all of my stuff properly interops with CTT (so I include a config for this) or stock (as an intelligent fallback). Easy Peasy.

Hi

When i install the mod, i get not asked when i start a new game wich tech tree i want to use. Why ? What tech tree is then used ? (The Seti one, the CT or the stock one ?)

I want to use it with SETI-tech tree and the historic Mission pack.

Thanks for getting me on the right track.

Since CTT is an addon to the stock tree and SETIctt is an addon to CTT, your tech tree should look like the screenshots in the SETI thread.

TechManager is discontinued with KSP 1.0.x, so features like choice and auto hiding of unused nodes is not available anymore.

This works for me i no longer have any empty nodes in the tech tree.

If anybody wants it i have compiled it and uploaded it to dropbox here is the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy9c2vfahqrnun4/HideEmptyTech.dll?dl=1

All credit goes to nathan1 i just compiled it so you don't have to. Just drop this anywhere in you gamedata folder and it should work.

This works for me i no longer have any empty nodes in the tech tree.

If anybody wants it i have compiled it and uploaded it to dropbox here is the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy9c2vfahqrnun4/HideEmptyTech.dll?dl=1

All credit goes to nathan1 i just compiled it so you don't have to. Just drop this anywhere in you gamedata folder and it should work.

Just tried it. Does this make your tech nodes bigger? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't for me. Also, it doesn't seem to change a node's parent, so if the parent is hidden then the node will not be researchable. There are some tech tree lines that stick out of nodes into empty area too (where a hidden node is). Are you getting the same issues?

It does make them bigger but leaving and reentering the R&D building returns it to normal.

I didn't have much time to test it but it does seem to make a node unresearchable if it only has one parent node and it's empty.

Overall it works fine for me as i have lots of mods(i have 64 bit KSP) so i only have a few empty nodes.

There should be a button in the R&D building to switch filtering modes, so you can have it show all the nodes if one of the prerequisites that you need is hidden (so that you can get to the unresearchable node). Also, I'm not seeing any issues with nodes being bigger. Can you post a screenshot and logs?

I've only tested it on win7 32 bit, so it may behave differently in 64 bit.

Awesome plugin. Empty nodes bother me a lot and some of them are filled only by mods that I do not want to use (and some I just have no idea what they should have). Wonder if it would be possible to take the parent node info from a hidden node and move it to the next node

There should be a button in the R&D building to switch filtering modes, so you can have it show all the nodes if one of the prerequisites that you need is hidden (so that you can get to the unresearchable node). Also, I'm not seeing any issues with nodes being bigger. Can you post a screenshot and logs?

I've only tested it on win7 32 bit, so it may behave differently in 64 bit.

I'm using 32 bit as well. What seems to happen for me is, if you zoom out, then hit the GUI button, the nodes will blow up to the size of what they would look like if you were zoomed in to 100%. So, if you hit the GUI button while zoomed in at 100%, the button sizes won't change. But, if you zoom out to 60%, then hit the GUI button, the nodes will grow in size.

I'm also trying to write a similar plugin that will dynamically hide the nodes, change the parents and possibly change node positions, but is similar to module manager's method of editing config files. But if you can fix the issues, then there's no need!:D

Output log (Dropbox)

Normal sized nodes (first, just zoom out...)

yKR3YTbl.png

Large nodes (...after zoomed out, then hit GUI button)

7N7wui6l.png

Hanging tech lines

zhTRgaDl.png

Parent node inaccessible

gSZfZeWl.png

Awesome plugin. Empty nodes bother me a lot and some of them are filled only by mods that I do not want to use (and some I just have no idea what they should have). Wonder if it would be possible to take the parent node info from a hidden node and move it to the next node

Agreed. Great mod, but unfortunately the empty nodes seems to bother a lot of people for the same reason.

I actually managed to completely ruin my game by trying to fill the empty nodes with the required mods :sticktongue:. Now I just refuse to use it, or boycott any mod that forces you to use this.

Dear lord people. There was so much whining when using the all-hidden approach, and there's so much whining now. Read the damn OP. You can't have it both ways, you either get trailing arrows or you get empty nodes.

If someone writes a nice little plugin, I'll bundle it, but until then... please stop complaining about this.

Where are the fuel lines/pumps in this tech tree? I'm watching Quill18's KSP play through while he is using this mod, and his are in the advanced fuel system node. However, my fuel pump/line doesn't appear in that node, and I can't find it anywhere.

Finally found it.

High-Performance Fuel System. Man that's a long way up there.

Where are the fuel lines/pumps in this tech tree? I'm watching Quill18's KSP play through while he is using this mod, and his are in the advanced fuel system node. However, my fuel pump/line doesn't appear in that node, and I can't find it anywhere.
Finally found it.

High-Performance Fuel System. Man that's a long way up there.

Hey, that is a change done by SETIctt, not by CTT.

Funnily, Quill18 did not install CTT, only SETIctt (which requires CTT), which is the reason why his tech tree is so broken (I wonder how he could look at that broken tech tree and come to the conclusion that this mess was intended).