[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

When using the fairings in this package, it seems like one or two of the petals always typically bounce off the payload on fairing jettison. I'm doing the jettison when coasting to apoapsis out of the atmosphere. What's the right way to stage them?

In case it matters, I'm using KJR and the Stock Bug Fix modules and a few other things. I'm not using any of the aerodynamics mods (wanted to get used to using fairings when it doesn't matter before making that switch).

Yeah, unfortunately the stock jettison module is a little problematic like that. The various ejection settings I've tried have usually only imparted spin to the panels, rather than fling them away the way I want. I think this is an artifact of the fact that the only stock part that uses this system is the two-panel fairing on the nuclear engine, so it doesn't expect four panels.

So probably the best thing to do is to spin up your rocket (roll axis) a little bit, so that centrifugal force flings them outward.

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like the new stock fairing system will be pretty robust. Check out the squadcast summery posted here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115316-Squadcast-Summary-%282015-04-11%29-Arrangement-Of-S-H-I-E-L-Ds-Edition!

We'll have to decide what to do with the fairings in the mod. Remove them, keep them, etc. I'm not sure how the new aerodynamics will treat them, as far as shielding things inside. So that's something to consider too.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a problem with my latest installI; hope someone can assist. Basically, the launch goes well until the end when KSP starts compiling parts. When it gets to SpaceY, it hangs at the SYengine5mF5 config; complains with a NullReferenceException. I've included the last few lines of the Player.log and the KSP.log for reference.

Player.log

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine2mM1/SYengine2mF1'

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

[SmokeScreen ModelMultiParticlePersistFX] OnDestroy

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine2mR1/SYengine2mR1'

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mM5/SYengine5mF5'

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.TLTInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.GetInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PartLoader+ .MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: 4294967295)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ModuleJettison.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: 4294967295)

KSP.log

[LOG 19:22:31.931] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/CargoBays/SYbay3m2m/SYbay3m2m'
[LOG 19:22:31.971] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Command/SYprobe3m/SYprobe3m'
[LOG 19:22:31.985] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntennaPassive: Found TRANSMITTER block.
[LOG 19:22:32.011] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: Found TRANSMITTER block.
[LOG 19:22:32.042] RemoteTech: ModuleSPU: OnDestroy
[LOG 19:22:32.042] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntennaPassive: OnDestroy
[LOG 19:22:32.043] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy
[LOG 19:22:32.043] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Command/SYprobe5m/SYprobe5m'
[LOG 19:22:32.056] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntennaPassive: Found TRANSMITTER block.
[LOG 19:22:32.077] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: Found TRANSMITTER block.
[LOG 19:22:32.111] RemoteTech: ModuleSPU: OnDestroy
[LOG 19:22:32.111] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntennaPassive: OnDestroy
[LOG 19:22:32.112] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy
[LOG 19:22:32.112] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Control/SYsasR3m/SYsasR3m'
[LOG 19:22:32.145] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Control/SYsasR5m/SYsasR5m'
[LOG 19:22:32.177] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Decouplers/SYdecouplerRadial/SYdecouplerRadial1/SYdecouplerRadial1'
[LOG 19:22:32.183] Added sound_vent_large to FXGroup decouple
[LOG 19:22:32.183] Added sound_rocket_mini to FXGroup running
[LOG 19:22:32.227] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Decouplers/SYdecouplerRadial/SYdecouplerRadial2/SYdecouplerRadial2'
[LOG 19:22:32.233] Added sound_vent_large to FXGroup decouple
[LOG 19:22:32.233] Added sound_rocket_mini to FXGroup running
[LOG 19:22:32.271] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Decouplers/SYdecouplerStack/SYdecoupler5m/SYdecoupler5m'
[LOG 19:22:32.276] Added sound_decoupler_fire to FXGroup decouple
[LOG 19:22:32.306] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Decouplers/SYdecouplerStack/SYseparator3m/SYseparator3m'
[LOG 19:22:32.311] Added sound_decoupler_fire to FXGroup decouple
[LOG 19:22:32.337] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Decouplers/SYdecouplerStack/SYseparator5m/SYseparator5m'
[LOG 19:22:32.343] Added sound_decoupler_fire to FXGroup decouple
[LOG 19:22:32.367] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Docking/SYdocking3m/SYdocking3m'
[LOG 19:22:32.417] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Docking/SYdocking5m/SYdocking5m'
[LOG 19:22:32.464] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine1mK1/SYengine1mD1'
[LOG 19:22:32.469] Added sound_rocket_hard to FXGroup running
[LOG 19:22:32.469] Added sound_explosion_low to FXGroup flameout

I am having a problem with my latest installI; hope someone can assist. Basically, the launch goes well until the end when KSP starts compiling parts. When it gets to SpaceY, it hangs at the SYengine5mF5 config; complains with a NullReferenceException. I've included the last few lines of the Player.log and the KSP.log for reference.

It's possible that it's a bad interaction with RemoteTech or something. Unfortunately I don't always have a good way to see what's going on or offer suggestions when other mods are in the mix, since these parts are designed to function like stock parts and don't bring in their own custom code or anything. The only thing I can think of that's "special" about this engine is that it uses the dual-mode like the RAPIER, except neither is air-breathing.

- UNRELATED - KSP 1.0 NEWS: -

I'm looking into updating for KSP 1.0 now of course. I know some things are probably already broken, particularly the tech-tree portion, and engine balancing. I may work on getting MRS together first.

However, I'm a bit undecided on the fairings. Since stock now has them, and they're more flexible (procedural), and I have a feeling my fairings won't be recognized as protective coverings in the new aerodynamics unless I change how they work, I'm thinking that what I might need to do is leave them out of the next update. I can add them back in at some point if I find that I can rework them. But for now we probably need to treat the 1.0 update, and the updates to most other mods, as save-breaking anyway. So now is the time to rip things out, if they're going to be ripped out.

I'm looking into updating for KSP 1.0 now of course. I know some things are probably already broken, particularly the tech-tree portion, and engine balancing. I may work on getting MRS together first.

However, I'm a bit undecided on the fairings. Since stock now has them, and they're more flexible (procedural), and I have a feeling my fairings won't be recognized as protective coverings in the new aerodynamics unless I change how they work, I'm thinking that what I might need to do is leave them out of the next update. I can add them back in at some point if I find that I can rework them. But for now we probably need to treat the 1.0 update, and the updates to most other mods, as save-breaking anyway. So now is the time to rip things out, if they're going to be ripped out.

A wild guess: try ModuleCargoBay?

And please, never compare stock "fairings" to any proper fairing mod. Especially with Procedural Fairings.

A wild guess: try ModuleCargoBay?

And please, never compare stock "fairings" to any proper fairing mod. Especially with Procedural Fairings.

Fair enough. :) I may still look into fixing them up, but I may save it for a second update. Right now everything's completely broken until I can go through every single part (even if just because they flipped the bottom nodes in the config system).

I am so patient, I´m not even asking for an ETA. There. Totally didnt ask. phew.
Good luck NecroBones and thanks for updating it looking forward to getting the lifters back in action :P
Good to see that you're updating this for 1.0, I love your parts and use them in almost ALL my rockets! Keep up the great work!

Glad you're all enjoying it! :)

I've started updating SpaceY for 1.0. Something that I'm already having to contend with, is that the stock game did away with the "Experimental Rocketry" tech node that I was using. Grrr...

So this is starting to turn into a real snag. (as an aside, it also affects Joolian Discovery). Since most of the parts in SpaceY are bigger or more advanced parts, it makes sense to have them in 1000-point tech-tree nodes, after the nodes for the 3.75m parts. Prior to 1.0, the stock game had a whole tier of "hidden" nodes at that level, which would only appear if parts were added to them. This was to help modders put things in sensible places, since the tech tree was hard-coded and couldn't easily be modified. Though some mods did rewrite the tech tree.

Squad touted this new config-driven tech tree as being mod-friendly, but they excluded several of these older experimental/advanced tech nodes, and also made it so that the tree appears to only load once. It's not flexible like the "agencies" system that was added, where each mod can add new companies for contracts, new flags, and so on. No, when you try to add additional tech nodes using the new format, it's ignored.

Currently ModuleManager can't make changes to the tech tree either, at least not yet.

So I think rather than hold up the entire mod on something that may or may not get fixed, the best choice will probably be to move all of higher-end parts into lower nodes in the tech tree, and at least let people use it. I can always re-assign them later, and thankfully that's not save-breaking. It just means it'll be a little silly that the 3.75m and 5m parts all unlock at once.

I think I have both SpaceY and MRS starting to look pretty good, but I'm not comfortable releasing them tonight. I had to touch every single part config in these mods, changing attachment nodes (now that they enforce node orientation and all bottom nodes got flipped), adding the parts to cross-section profile groups, adjusting cost, mass, ISP curves, and recalculating thrust on engines since they changed the numbers in the config to represent sea-level thrust instead of vacuum thrust. Maximum temperatures all changed, as well as the heat generation rate of the engines (which I'm just going by stock engines here, I have no idea how fast they'll actually heat up in practice under various conditions). Some also get custom heat radiating emission values (particularly engines).

It's amazing how much the configs changed in this update compared to previous versions. I'm glad I wrote a program to parse the configs and compare the versions, so I could see at a glance what changed. :)

So I think rather than hold up the entire mod on something that may or may not get fixed, the best choice will probably be to move all of higher-end parts into lower nodes in the tech tree, and at least let people use it. I can always re-assign them later, and thankfully that's not save-breaking. It just means it'll be a little silly that the 3.75m and 5m parts all unlock at once.

For whatever it's worth, looks like the Community Tech Tree folks are getting rolling on the 1.0 version of CTT which should have room at the high end for SpaceY..

Necrobones! Finally registered here just to say, SpaceY is THE mod I'm waiting for now that 1.0 is here. You make my rockets way, way awesomer.

Like the others said, though, take your time! Super appreciative of your work.

Hey Necrobones, Good to see you hard at it.

I had just finished going thru all the part configs and flipped all the bottom orientations in your mod pack for my use and was going to upload a copy for everyone, but you are doing a deeper and better job of it, so, I'll refrain. I'm primarily a sandbox player so that is all i really needed atm...

Thanks for a great mod, and for keeping it up.

Will the SpaceY parts appear in a new "Size 4" category?

Yep, with the new cross-section filter, these will have their own Size-4 category. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to assign an icon to it, so the icon will show as a question-mark. I made the icon and everything, there just doesn't appear to be a config setting I can use to assign it.

For whatever it's worth, looks like the Community Tech Tree folks are getting rolling on the 1.0 version of CTT which should have room at the high end for SpaceY..

Yeah, that could be pretty cool. We already have some CTT support in SpaceY, but I'm sure it'll need to be updated at some point. After the dust settles a bit, it'll be worth looking into that again.

Necrobones, I love your stuff and will wait patiently for however long it takes. :-)
Necrobones! Finally registered here just to say, SpaceY is THE mod I'm waiting for now that 1.0 is here. You make my rockets way, way awesomer.

Like the others said, though, take your time! Super appreciative of your work.

Glad you're liking it! That's what keeps me coming back to work on it. :)

Hey Necrobones, Good to see you hard at it.

I had just finished going thru all the part configs and flipped all the bottom orientations in your mod pack for my use and was going to upload a copy for everyone, but you are doing a deeper and better job of it, so, I'll refrain. I'm primarily a sandbox player so that is all i really needed atm...

Thanks for a great mod, and for keeping it up.

Awesome, yeah that'll get things working in the short term, for sure. But the engine thrust will be a lot higher than normal due to the Vac->ASL switch in the files, plus the heat generation will be about 5-10x the stock engines with the heat overhaul. ;) But it's great that it gets it working again.

Yep, with the new cross-section filter, these will have their own Size-4 category. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to assign an icon to it, so the icon will show as a question-mark. I made the icon and everything, there just doesn't appear to be a config setting I can use to assign it.

According to Readme.txt in GameData/Squad/Partlist: "All icons contained in the 'Icons' and 'SimpleIcons' folders are automatically loaded into the game and available to be placed on any custom partlist tab category or subcategory." Maybe putting it under SpaceY-Lifters/SimpleIcons/cs_size4.png would work?

That file also includes instructions for assigning icons to categories in code, but Filter Extensions might be able to do that for you (which I know can be controlled by configs).

Just wanted to chime in and thank NecroBones for your hard work. This is my favorite parts pack and I'm grateful to see you're still on board for updating it for 1.0. Take your time and don't stress over it :)

According to Readme.txt in GameData/Squad/Partlist: "All icons contained in the 'Icons' and 'SimpleIcons' folders are automatically loaded into the game and available to be placed on any custom partlist tab category or subcategory." Maybe putting it under SpaceY-Lifters/SimpleIcons/cs_size4.png would work?

Yep, tried that. The icon gets loaded, but not assigned to anything, as far as I can tell. I'm trying to limit mod dependencies, so I'm hoping a stock solution becomes available. For now, at least the button works, even if it's not using my icon. :)

Just wanted to chime in and thank NecroBones for your hard work. This is my favorite parts pack and I'm grateful to see you're still on board for updating it for 1.0. Take your time and don't stress over it :)

Thanks! :)

UPDATE

OK, so here goes! ;) Same disclaimer that I had for MRS-- That is, I'm sure we'll find things that are broken or need tweaking. There just isn't enough time to test every part, in all sorts of conditions. In the meantime, I managed to get some of the needed changes together for the "petal" payload bay, among all the other 1.0-specific stuff for all parts in general. So let's give it a spin and see how it goes:

0.12 (2015-04-29) - More tweaks, KSP 1.0 updates
- Slight correction to 1.875m SRBs exhaust positioning.
- KSP 1.0 compatibility pass (fixes to attachment nodes, heat scales, tech tree assignments, thrust/ISP scaling, etc)
- KSP 1.0 balance pass, and additional settings.
- Reassigned tech-tree locations.
- Removed static fairings.
- Added 1.0-like procedural 5m fairing.

- - - Updated - - -

- Reassigned tech-tree locations.

- Added 1.0-like procedural 5m fairing.

Just some additional notes on these:

For the tech tree, I ended up initially placing most of the 5m tanks and engines into the top-most stock nodes, where the 3.75m parts reside now. However, with MM having released a fix today that allows for tech tree editing, I made a config that creates a "Massive Rocketry" node and moves the 5m tanks+engines, and the largest SRB into it. That way, if MM doesn't work for some reason (or you install via CKAN and don't also install MM), everything will still show up in stock tech nodes.

For the fairings, I took out the static fairings I had made, especially since I just don't know if they're compatible with the new aerodynamics or not. In their place, I reused one of the bases and added the new stock-procedural fairing to it, so we have a 5m fairing that works just like the other new stock fairings.

Thanks for the quick update to an indispensable parts pack!

I'm just wondering, when you reassigned tech-tree locations, what your considerations were regarding whether to follow Squad's new scheme of separating engines and tanks into two parallel paths?

Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.