[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Yeah, it's subtle enough that most people don't notice one way or the other. :)

The thing is, for a landing engine, that slight offset should actually be a stabilizing force. If the capsule is a few degrees tilted, then the downhill side would have a little more effective thrust than the uphill side, tending to be self-stabilizing. With the nozzles pointed straight down, this doesn't happen.

In the game it's no big deal. There is no wind, for one thing. In the real world, it's an important stabilizing mechanism.

I did it! I exclude the CustomSounds file and the sounds of the engines back normally. Thank you for helping!

Awesome, glad it's working for you. :)

The thing is, for a landing engine, that slight offset should actually be a stabilizing force. If the capsule is a few degrees tilted, then the downhill side would have a little more effective thrust than the uphill side, tending to be self-stabilizing. With the nozzles pointed straight down, this doesn't happen.

In the game it's no big deal. There is no wind, for one thing. In the real world, it's an important stabilizing mechanism.

Yeah, that's true. Well, we can always put it back as it was at some point too. It's a pretty simple change on my side. But we can wait and see if there is any additional feedback one way or the other.

I get stuck loading the game at the 1875L SRB.

I'd probably need to see the logs to get any idea what's going on. ;)

Needless to say, that should of course not happen. Usually it's because of one of several things, such as the mod not being installed correctly (or a corrupted download), or a bad interaction with another mod, or another mod isn't installed right, or the folder name isn't correct, etc.

First I'd recommend deleting SpaceY completely from GameData and then re-installing a fresh download of it.

Hm, is this engine supposed to overheat or get this hot that quickly? The screenshot is JUST before it gets autostaged, so the fact that it was getting hot wasn't a problem, but I'm still wondering about it.

screenshot48_zpstzbxolne.png

Hm, is this engine supposed to overheat or get this hot that quickly? The screenshot is JUST before it gets autostaged, so the fact that it was getting hot wasn't a problem, but I'm still wondering about it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot48_zpstzbxolne.png

Nope, they're not. I'm afraid with all the thermal changes between KSP 1.0 -> 1.0.4, I tweaked it back and forth a few times, and didn't get it right. All of the liquid engines are generating heat at about twice the rate of the stock engines, so I'm going to fix that.

That one is supposed to heat up faster than the others, but not at the kind of rate it's doing right now.

I may push out a version just for this, unless something else comes up shortly. :)

Only one issue, the adaptive adapter's texture disappears if you leave to the space center (or possibly the game, I don't know for sure). Its just I used the part on a space station and it looks kinda funny.

Only one issue, the adaptive adapter's texture disappears if you leave to the space center (or possibly the game, I don't know for sure). Its just I used the part on a space station and it looks kinda funny.

Yeah, that shouldn't normally happen (of course). Are there any errors in the log?

But just to clarify, it looks OK in the VAB/SPH editors, but not out in the world? Or it vanishing altogether (even in the editors) after the first scene-change?

I'm not really sure how it can happen unless something isn't installed correctly.

Will you add that new Color Switch from Fuel Tank Plus to the 5m fuel tanks? If so,it will be great to have orange texturing on those, so Mk3 Space shuttles are to scale with their external fuel tank and some 5m dome fuel tank too ... ( and also for Ares V replicas too :rolleyes: )

Will you add that new Color Switch from Fuel Tank Plus to the 5m fuel tanks? If so,it will be great to have orange texturing on those, so Mk3 Space shuttles are to scale with their external fuel tank and some 5m dome fuel tank too ... ( and also for Ares V replicas too :rolleyes: )

Possibly, but I'll need to think on it. Part of the problem is that additional color choices will require additional meshes and textures, which at that point is basically the same thing as just adding more parts. I made the tanks use the texture space pretty efficiently (and shared across all of the tanks), but there's also no room left over, so new textures would need to be added.

With FTP, it was almost a no-brainer to combine things and then fill in the gaps, since the textures were shared between the colors and varying lengths already, and I had room left over in the textures to add a few more colors. FTP is a lot more aggressive about repeating the texture patterns to fit more of them into the texture files.

So it's of course doable, but there will be a memory cost to it.

Possibly, but I'll need to think on it. Part of the problem is that additional color choices will require additional meshes and textures, which at that point is basically the same thing as just adding more parts. I made the tanks use the texture space pretty efficiently (and shared across all of the tanks), but there's also no room left over, so new textures would need to be added.

With FTP, it was almost a no-brainer to combine things and then fill in the gaps, since the textures were shared between the colors and varying lengths already, and I had room left over in the textures to add a few more colors. FTP is a lot more aggressive about repeating the texture patterns to fit more of them into the texture files.

So it's of course doable, but there will be a memory cost to it.

Please don't do it in this mod, thanks. If people want to pay the memory cost just to change the color of their tanks, can you keep it in the tank mod?

The stock fairings REALLY don't work well with tweakscale. I was trying to get some fairings that are lighter than the procedural fairings because while the main part of the ship is 94.85 tons, with the procedural fairings, it's a total of 271 tons.

screenshot96_zpsprfhmkq8.png

Please don't do it in this mod, thanks. If people want to pay the memory cost just to change the color of their tanks, can you keep it in the tank mod?

Yeah, that's really what I'm thinking too. Either it would need to be an extension to FTP, or as a separate, optional add-on to SpaceY. ("SpaceY Plus" perhaps? lol) :)

We need colossal rocketry in the ctt NB :) never mind the rest. I really like your space-y pack.

Oh man, I'm not even sure what would need to go in there. 10m parts maybe? lol.

The stock fairings REALLY don't work well with tweakscale. I was trying to get some fairings that are lighter than the procedural fairings because while the main part of the ship is 94.85 tons, with the procedural fairings, it's a total of 271 tons.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot96_zpsprfhmkq8.png

Yeah, I haven't played around with it much, but I'm wondering if TweakScale needs to be improved in this area, or what. The fairings are just the stock fairings, of course, just with the appropriate settings to make them start at 5m. I'm assuming you see basically the same thing if you TweakScale the stock fairing bases up too?

Nope, they're not. I'm afraid with all the thermal changes between KSP 1.0 -> 1.0.4, I tweaked it back and forth a few times, and didn't get it right. All of the liquid engines are generating heat at about twice the rate of the stock engines, so I'm going to fix that.

That one is supposed to heat up faster than the others, but not at the kind of rate it's doing right now.

I may push out a version just for this, unless something else comes up shortly. :)

Any idea when a fix for the overheating will be out? Because in order to use the Ratite engine, I have to onion-layer it with radiators to keep it from overheating and using multiple engines (such as launching something big and heavy) ramps up the part count.

screenshot112_zpseqgh78ac.png

Any idea when a fix for the overheating will be out? Because in order to use the Ratite engine, I have to onion-layer it with radiators to keep it from overheating and using multiple engines (such as launching something big and heavy) ramps up the part count.

Try playing around with the heating values in the part.cfg, check for missing values regarding heating by comparing to large stock engines, then tweak them to find a decent balance. Or try playing with the thermal section in the debug menu, that should lead to something workable as well. Those are some rather unelegant workarounds, but they should do the job temporarily.

I've got an issue with the 8x 1.25m and 1x 2.5 plate has the 2.5m engine mount point noticeably below the level of the plate itself (like....5m or so below)

I'm an idiot. It's an interstage separator, not a rocket mount in the center :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot112_zpseqgh78ac.png

Oh man, I'm so sorry about this. For some reason, in my mind I thought I had released it already. I just posted the update:

0.17.6 (2015-07-26) - Tweaks.
- Reduced heat production in all liquid fuel engines to be more stock-alike.
- Slightly reduced heat production on 1.875m and 2.5m SRBs.
- Slightly altered names on M-series and R-series engines for clarity.

I've got an issue with the 8x 1.25m and 1x 2.5 plate has the 2.5m engine mount point noticeably below the level of the plate itself (like....5m or so below)
I'm an idiot. It's an interstage separator, not a rocket mount in the center :o

It's both. You can put one in the center, bit it sits a little higher than the 1.25m mounts. As you discovered, the lower one is for use as an interstage adapter with shroud.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.