[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Holy geez... Yeah, some huge designs. Clearly they weren't built (or at least not flown successfully), since the Saturn V is still the largest / most powerful that actually successfully flew. I might have to look into them a little, since I don't know how far into the design phase those had gotten, or whether they just remained ideas on paper.

Right now, engine wise, my next piece is going to aim for around 24,000 kn (as I posted earlier), as a cluster of 4 engines. The individuals will fit in the 3.75m scale (so they'll stick out, under a 7.5 stack with four of them). At 6,000 thrust each, and a low lifting ISP, they'll definitely end up late in the tech tree along with the 7.5m parts. :)

More super-exciting accessories.. :)

7.5m to 5m adapter thrust plate (with shroud). In an effort to be as memory efficient as I can, I'm continuing the tradition of texture sharing.

The shroud extends down 5.7m past the bottom of the plate, leaving room to spare with an R5 underneath. This will permit using M9 and R5 engines as upper stages.

KSP%202015-08-17%2010-54-03-65.jpg

KSP%202015-08-17%2010-54-14-12.jpg

KSP%202015-08-17%2010-54-22-05.jpg

Well, it's easier when you have unlimited budget and only have to draw it up on paper.

Actually, the cool thing about massive designs like that is that you have SO MUCH thrust that you can build them out of heavier/cheaper materials, especially when you're re-using the expensive parts (rocket fuel is cheap as hell frankly). Lookup the Sea Dragon rocket concept for an idea of what you can do....

Four-way 7.5m to 3.75m adapter. Defaults to being just an adapter, but you can load it with fuel. When full, it has the standard mass ratio for fuel tanks.

KSP%202015-08-18%2015-22-15-42.jpg

If textures are shared and models are 100-400 kb for Thrust Plates; how about a 1.25 one to 0.625 m for upper stage engines, or a 2.5m to 2x 1.25m one with a lenght between the 2 existing 2.5m ones?

Possible. I had made some small adapters in MRS, with SpaceY being more focused on larger things.

The caveat on texture sharing, is that it only works to a point. Most parts have something unique to them that has to be stored somewhere, so I try to share what I can, where I can, and try not to let the single-purpose sections take over. And of course, the texel density (texture resolution inside polygons) should be at least somewhat consistent, so scaling textures to the extremes doesn't always look good.

There are exceptions of course. The thrust plates and fuel tanks are able to share nearly everything among themselves, because of the direct similarities.

Dang, those look awesome! Gotta say, it is pretty crazy to see two 3.75m parts side by side and not sticking out. :)

FYI: Your adapters and engines are awesome and just those make your pack worth downloading.

Actually, the cool thing about massive designs like that is that you have SO MUCH thrust that you can build them out of heavier/cheaper materials, especially when you're re-using the expensive parts (rocket fuel is cheap as hell frankly). Lookup the Sea Dragon rocket concept for an idea of what you can do....

Uh huh. There is a reason why these all have the word "concept" attached to them.

Someone posted this in the DIRECT thread, but I think you might also find it interesting: http://directlauncher.org/. A 7.5m first-stage engine with three 2.5m nozzles in a row would certainly be a unique-looking piece of hardware (unless benjee does the same thing, but maybe you can be the first).

Also, Filter Extensions has a "size5" icon and description ready and waiting for you (well, I made it for Behemoth Aerospace Engineering, but it works here as well).

Four-way 7.5m to 3.75m adapter.

At some point I was looking for 5m to 4 x 2.5m adapter and couldn't find one. Any chance of a smaller version (or is it in there already?) With 7.5m coming, maybe toss in a lower attachment node and conical-ish interstage fairing to 7.5m....

Dear... lord... Man should not have this much power.

I just found this mod. (I've been living under a rock when it comes to KSP mods) These words literally sum up my feelings at this moment. Can't wrap my head around ... just so ... big.

At some point I was looking for 5m to 4 x 2.5m adapter and couldn't find one. Any chance of a smaller version (or is it in there already?) With 7.5m coming, maybe toss in a lower attachment node and conical-ish interstage fairing to 7.5m....

There's just such an adapter in SpaceY.

Yep, beat me to it. :)

It's in the "structural" menu, and the part is titled "SY-AP5X4X2 5m to 4x 2.5m Stack Quad-Adapter".

I only used it for the first time a little while ago. I used it to put four of the MRS quad nukes on the back of a LF-only SpaceY tank as part of a mothership/station which includes a lot of heavy Station Science parts. Sending cyclotrons and zoology labs to Jool has never been easier. :-)

I only used it for the first time a little while ago. I used it to put four of the MRS quad nukes on the back of a LF-only SpaceY tank as part of a mothership/station which includes a lot of heavy Station Science parts. Sending cyclotrons and zoology labs to Jool has never been easier. :-)

I used it to put Near Future 2.5m LH2/LOX engines onto some big 5m SpaceY tanks (switched to LH2/LOX mix). Worked fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.