[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Brainpop14 said:

Anyone tried this in 1.12.2 yet?

Somewhat. I'm on a Career mode playthrough and haven't reached the endgame rocket parts yet, but those I've used so far seem to work well.

EDIT: This was my thousandth post, huh? Milestone achieved, I suppose.

Edited by Codraroll

It's funny that @NecroBones hasn't done a major update (or even a mior one to this mod, since 1.4.x and I've hardly seen him comment about any plans for updating this to our final release (1.12.2), and in fact I was wondering if anyone has tried to contact him in order to extend the "Shelf life' of this mode and the Spacey Heavy Lifter add-on. I mean it's kind of odd to have a mod last for so long, nad not needing an update due to some update of KSP "Breaking" the mod" so to speak. So has anyone tried to talk to him in order to extend the "Shelf" life of the SpaceY series? Anyone?

Space_Coyote

5 hours ago, Space_Coyote said:

It's funny that @NecroBones hasn't done a major update (or even a mior one to this mod, since 1.4.x and I've hardly seen him comment about any plans for updating this to our final release (1.12.2), and in fact I was wondering if anyone has tried to contact him in order to extend the "Shelf life' of this mode and the Spacey Heavy Lifter add-on. I mean it's kind of odd to have a mod last for so long, nad not needing an update due to some update of KSP "Breaking" the mod" so to speak. So has anyone tried to talk to him in order to extend the "Shelf" life of the SpaceY series? Anyone?

Space_Coyote

I guess that the fundamental way rocket engines and fuel tanks work in the game haven't changed in forever, so the old code still works. It is kinda strange indeed, but also a testament to how robust the mod is.

7 hours ago, Space_Coyote said:

Space_Coyote

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

I guess that the fundamental way rocket engines and fuel tanks work in the game haven't changed in forever, so the old code still works. It is kinda strange indeed, but also a testament to how robust the mod is.

@NecroBoneshasnt been on the forums for 3 years, seems like he left KSP.

There is at least one patch needed, which I posted in the thread a while ago, fixes the vernier.

‘Just an FYI, I’m using this in my 1.12.2 career, works fine

On 9/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, Brainpop14 said:

Anyone tried this in 1.12.2 yet?

Yes

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

Yeah. It has been a must-have on my mods list since forever and it never caused me problems. In  I set my CKAN compatibility to very old versions of KSP because of it and some other usual suspects. But indeed as someone else said above, stock KSP changed a lot of things over the years but tanks + engines seems to have waltzed through that with unscratched. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Yeah. It has been a must-have on my mods list since forever and it never caused me problems. In  I set my CKAN compatibility to very old versions of KSP because of it and some other usual suspects. But indeed as someone else said above, stock KSP changed a lot of things over the years but tanks + engines seems to have waltzed through that with unscratched. 

I tend to agree wit the observation given and in fact it would be back to lose a lot of "Probe Cores" of different sizes  from 3.5 to 7.5 meters wide (I use a 3.5 one to do a controlled re-entry of the 2nd stage of an old rocket I still am upgrading constantly , so losing those cores because of the fact that someone just left, would be a real heart break.. which then brings up an intersting question for the upcoming KSP 2 and the modding community. And that is of ocurse, are some of these modders going to continue or give up and let their mods die? There's plenty of good mods out there, the only issue is that some go back as far as 1.3.x and some could be re-instated. But I guess to each modder his own. that's what makes KSP great.. the ability to go in and improve on a product.. and in the case of SpaceY Lifters and it's add-on, it is worth the effort.

Space_Coyote

10 minutes ago, Space_Coyote said:

And that is of ocurse, are some of these modders going to continue or give up and let their mods die?

My hope is that 1.12 will be the last major release of KSP (as promised), and consequently the great mods will finally have a chance to catch up with what has been a moving target, so bug fixes and enhancements will be practical for modders. Modded KSP is a great game, and I don't see it becoming any less great regardless of what happens or doesn't happen with KSP 2.

Edited by jefferyharrell

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Sorry for my extremely long absence. I've moved on to a variety of other things, and as I'm sure you've noticed, I'm not maintaining these mods anymore. Zer0Kerbal has requested taking over maintenance of my mods, and so I've added him to the list of authors on Spacedock and Curseforge, so that these can continue to be updated to work on current versions of KSP. Thank you everyone for all of the love and support over the years. All of this has changed my life in ways I can't begin to describe, and has been some of the best online experience I've had to date. So I'm quite glad that others are willing to pick up the mantle and allow these mods to continue to be used.

Thanks everyone!

@DasSkelett@HebaruSan

Extremely gentle from you to come here and keep us updated, us the poor fellows hanging on the hope :)

Farewell then, and I wish you all the best to whatever you're pointing to now !

Bye NecroBones, and who knows, maybe one day... you'll be back!

That being said....

...... ....

/looking at @zer0Kerbal :D

• 1 month later...

Hi @zer0Kerbal thanks for offering to take over.

I'm on 1.12.2 using both this base SpaceY mod and the SpaceY Expanded mod and there are a couple issues (in addition to the Vernier engine issue linuxgamerguru mentioned before).

1. The docking ports seem to have too low bending stiffness. Here's a pair of 7.5m SpaceY ports TweakScaled up to 10m size that caused hilarity and eventual explosions until I got lucky on one launch attempt. It seems like it scaled the strength but not the bending stiffness, if that's possible. They didn't pull apart, just bent. I don't know how the game mechanics work - just my impression. I didn't try these without size scaling however.  Pics:

Spoiler

0bbbU62.pnghF4rSEw.pnggbVWtMR.png

2.  This is apparently not just a part mod. It seems to have added itself to the pool of available agencies for contracts but doesn't do it correctly. I accepted one of these contracts, and now get an annoying wall of orange errors on screen every time the games saves or I change KSC buildings.  The log error is: Input is null for field 'agent' in config node 'CONTRACT' 

Indeed it is missing the agent: 

Spoiler

kfIUmri.jpg

Of course the core game should ignore this instead of painting the screen with orange text ... but it doesn't. I'll try to edit my save file and report back if I can fix it. 

KSP log file

Update: Here's the SpaceY .SFS contract excerpt: 

Spoiler

CONTRACT
            {
                guid = e8d5b5b2-d494-4efe-acb8-1ac0ca6c2edf
                type = RecoverAsset
                prestige = 2
                seed = 1678611631
                state = Active
                viewed = Read
                agent = 
                agentName = SpaceY Technologies Corporation

Stock contract example: 

Spoiler

CONTRACT
            {
                guid = 4de8918f-5eaa-4f66-a33a-44a7690f9693
                type = RecoverAsset
                prestige = 2
                seed = -2061445793
                state = Active
                viewed = Read
                agent = Rockomax Conglomerate
                agentName = Rockomax Conglomerate

Why did Squad even have duplicated parameters?! :/ Solution seems obvious.

Update 2: Well, simply setting:  "agent = SpaceY Technologies Corporation" Doesn't work. It's being overwritten and keeps giving the orange text error. 

UPDATE 3 (12/12):

The error message from #2 above is happening even if I don't accept a SpaceY contract - it merely needs to be offered in Mission Control. 

Issue #3: the fairings seem to destroy anything they touch. If it happens to nick your payload when deploying, or part of the booster beside it... or the launch pad!  VIDEO

Edited by Krazy1
Update 3

• 2 months later...

@Krazy1 this is being worked on in my spare time (the adoption)

I will post the link to the related GitHub repo's when they are ready for public use. Am currently adding previous releases and there are allot of them - and it isn't a straight forward process.

15 minutes ago, strider3 said:

Will it work with KSP 1.11? Anybody using it in 1.11?

read one post above

Edited by zer0Kerbal

• 1 month later...

I am so glad you have someone picking up your wonderful mods! 

Anyhow, provided you can work out a proper permissive license, I do know that @linuxgurugameris ALWAYS looking for projects to contribute to.  I can help a little too, although I'm nowhere near as skilled as they are.

I'm mostly good at tweaking settings to correct for changes in the game and such. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 9:16 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

@Ruedii had to develop a streamlined approach to building the historical archive - attempting to use that process now on another with 50+ archives to process. It puts me one step closer to having this glorious mod updated.

You could do this with a script, but I think it might be more work to create the script.

8 hours ago, Ruedii said:

You could do this with a script, but I think it might be more work to create the script.

@Ruediiyes, and no. Already use scripting for part of this - however I do not trust scripts to do things right, and catch the inevitable issues that crop in. Moreso, 々one first has to strictly define the process to be scripted. Also 々scripts are best for repeating tasks that are often done; like a `cup all -t followed by choco-cleaner` during boot. This 々 particular process is done at most once per repo - and only would need a script if there are more than an handful of previous releases; and the addon was not already on GitHub.

Now that I am officially working on 々- which isn't on GitHub and has a couple of releases, I will be able to streamline the process, and maybe even write it down. then I can use cli to automate some more of it. Complicating this is the scripts should really be written in Python, which I am still learning.

So as time permits, and as the fates zypher whims direct, I will work on this and possibly scripting, which I do in an 々fashion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.