[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

This is one of my alltime favourite Mods, the partcountsaviour and most kerbalstyle liftingtools ever!

I would love to see this in Stock KSP endgame, however...:P (Along with MRS!)

Edited by Mikki
MRS

Aww really? The quad nozzles look so much cooler - especially b/c solid rocket motors don't scale up as well as liquid motors.

There are real world single-nozzle solid rocket motors substantially more powerful than the new "fenrir".

The space shuttle SRB is 13000kN thrust, 3.71m in diameter, and 45m tall, with a burn duration of 127 seconds and an initial mass of 590 metric tons, with a sea level Isp of 242s and a vacuum Isp of 268s.

The shuttle-derived SRBs planned for SLS are 25% larger; they haven't flown yet but there have been several test fires so far.

Then there's the Aerojet 260 I mentioned a few pages ago...

I tweaked the 3.75m SRB thrust numbers to be slightly more conservative (with the general rule that the larger SRBs have slightly lower TWR, but longer burn times). But more balancing is always an option.

Also, I've been putting off the "1.0" numbering for a long time. I wanted to wait until things seemed pretty stable, and I think we're there.

Update posted:

1.0 (2015-08-05) - New things.
- Changed version numbering to 1.x to indicate we're no longer in rapid growth.
- Added a longer 5m (15m long) fuel tank.
- Added a set of 3.75m SRBs, stackable wih shrouds. (functional as lower/middle stages)
- Reworked the models/textures for the 2.5m SRBs.

Stronger struts, maybe. :) But yeah, I'm trying not to let it lose focus too much. I wanted to add enough 5m parts to make it a viable diameter, and then back-fill some of that into 3.75m as well (probe cores, for example).

Having said that, if I do go on toward making a 7.5m optional add-on pack, that would be a good place to add the bloat too. We'll see. :)

Hey NecroBones, I have a few things to say:

The new 3.75m SRBs are awesome. I prefered the quad nozzle though.

You added a bunch of really cool new parts in the last few updates, maybe you should update the pictures in the first post.

Suggestion for a future update, or rather a separate pack: a collaboration with Nertea to bring us 5m Cryogenic Engines! You could simply reuse his textures and base model to make clusters of the 2.5m engines. And as a little extra you could bundle it with a cryogenic orange foam texture for the SpaceY 5m tanks, that could be switched with Interstellar Fuel Switch or Firespitter.

I know this is really just a compliment, but I think Necro mods are fairly abstemious memory-wise, no?

Yep. The exception is probably MRS, which doesn't waste memory, but it's stock-like in its design by having separate textures for everything. Granted, there are times that you can't avoid that, but since then I've tried to make things compact and sharable amongst similar parts where possible.

I know this is really just a compliment, but I think Necro mods are fairly abstemious memory-wise, no?

you know, "small steams make big rivers" like we say in France :sticktongue: I know that Necrobones mods are light even if they are quite nice in terms of textures. It's one of the things I like. But I do not use only Necrobones mods and as a mod happy addict, I "mod "til it crashes".

Hello a small suggestion acording Change History:

- Added a set of 3.75m SRBs

SpaceY-Lifters\Parts\SRBs\SYSRB_375\

SRB_375-Specular.mbm, SRB_375-Emissive.mbm that need to be convert to dds :) or it will be good idea to be done that

cheer

Hello a small suggestion acording Change History:

- Added a set of 3.75m SRBs

SpaceY-Lifters\Parts\SRBs\SYSRB_375\

SRB_375-Specular.mbm, SRB_375-Emissive.mbm that need to be convert to dds :) or it will be good idea to be done that

cheer

Yes, I already caught that right after I released it. :)

So maybe I might regret this (lol), but this is currently sitting at 7.5m diameter:

GahCplA.png

Just to reiterate for those new to the conversation-- Any 7.5m stuff will go into an optional add-on for SpaceY, rather than directly into the SpaceY pack, so that you can choose whether or not to add the new diameter. The expansion might also get some 5m stuff (such as poodle-like space engines). It's all up in the air right now, so to speak. But I think it's worth at least experimenting with.

I'm tempted to make some of the 7.5m parts take some inspiration from the SpaceX plans for their "BFR", with 9 raptor engines. Hence, the image above is a 9-engine cluster, using the R-series (ratite) engines we have. So this would have a thrust of 19,800 (2200 x 9), and will probably get a model number of "BFR9". :)

The amusing thing is that the size scales are all wrong, in terms of direct comparison to the real-world SpaceX systems. But rather, they're scaled here for KSP gameplay. For instance, the M9 engine (5m) is meant to be like the Falcon-9's cluster of Merlin engines, but the M9 is 5m wide, whereas the Falcon-9 is actually only around 3.66. Making a "BFR" at 7.5m in diameter instead will be undersized, since SpaceX plans to make the BFR closer to 10m in diameter.

Anyway, just some amusing thoughts. It's worth remembering that SpaceY isn't meant to at all be an analog for SpaceX, but rather a stock-balanced expansion of the base game, with some SpaceX inspired parodies. :)

EDIT: I'm not sure what to do with the color scheme yet.

Edited by NecroBones

So maybe I might regret this (lol), but this is currently sitting at 7.5m diameter:

https://i.imgur.com/GahCplA.png

Just to reiterate for those new to the conversation-- Any 7.5m stuff will go into an optional add-on for SpaceY, rather than directly into the SpaceY pack, so that you can choose whether or not to add the new diameter. The expansion might also get some 5m stuff (such as poodle-like space engines). It's all up in the air right now, so to speak. But I think it's worth at least experimenting with.

I'm tempted to make some of the 7.5m parts take some inspiration from the SpaceX plans for their "BFR", with 9 raptor engines. Hence, the image above is a 9-engine cluster, using the R-series (ratite) engines we have. So this would have a thrust of 19,800 (2200 x 9), and will probably get a model number of "BFR9". :)

The amusing thing is that the size scales are all wrong, in terms of direct comparison to the real-world SpaceX systems. But rather, they're scaled here for KSP gameplay. For instance, the M9 engine (5m) is meant to be like the Falcon-9's cluster of Merlin engines, but the M9 is 5m wide, whereas the Falcon-9 is actually only around 3.66. Making a "BFR" at 7.5m in diameter instead will be undersized, since SpaceX plans to make the BFR closer to 10m in diameter.

Anyway, just some amusing thoughts. It's worth remembering that SpaceY isn't meant to at all be an analog for SpaceX, but rather a stock-balanced expansion of the base game, with some SpaceX inspired parodies. :)

EDIT: I'm not sure what to do with the color scheme yet.

Yay for this!

Glad you guys are liking it! :)

BTW, slighty altered screenshot here. One of the things I'm going to think about doing is increasing the poly count a little for the 7.5m parts. The stock-alike cylinders with 24 faces aren't really adequate anymore at that scale, IMHO, so here's how the engine looks with the attachment base at 48 faces:

vnXiIh7.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.