[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

I looked in this wiki entry:  http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Module#ModuleTestSubject

It looks like the "situationMask" uses these: 

• SrfLanded = 1,
  • SrfSplashed = 2,
  • FlyingLow = 4,
  • FlyingHigh = 8,
  • InSpaceLow = 16,
  • InSpaceHigh = 32

So I can change the mask from the default of "127" to "124" (or set it to 60), and those parts should be disallowed to have testing contracts on the surface.I'm thinking all of the engines should probably receive this change, and maybe the decouplers?

EDIT: It turns out the SRBs are already set up this way, so we're mainly talking about the liquid-fueled engines.

EDIT 2:  This change is ready to go for the next update. None of the engines, fairings, or decouplers/separators will have test contracts on the surface.

Updated:

1.12.6 (2016-05-12) - Tweaks.
 - Restricted liquid fuel engines, fairings, and decouplers to non-surface part testing contracts, to match SRBs.
 - Changed underlying texture for Docking port alignment lights, for compatibility with IndicatorLights.
 - Converted small lighting textures for docking ports to DDS format.

Just now, BashGordon33 said:

The Contracts for carreer mode are really screwed up in this mod, it gave me a 'Land on Minmus contract before I even managed to orbit

It might be another mod messing with it. SpaceY doesn't create any contracts. It just sets limits on the kinds of part-testing each part can have, so it has no influence on when you'll start getting Minmus contracts.

20 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

It might be another mod messing with it. SpaceY doesn't create any contracts. It just sets limits on the kinds of part-testing each part can have, so it has no influence on when you'll start getting Minmus contracts.

Oh all right, I just assumed that it was SpaceY or Modular Rocket Systems as they give me contracts to test the parts, and none of my other mods has ever gave me contracts. I just decided to play on science mode, I still get all the awesome parts SpaceY has 

Docking port light update, for IndicatorLights:

1.12.7 (2016-05-18) - Tweaks.
 - Added configs for docking ports to use IndicatorLights, if installed.
 - Reworked docking alignment lights to be slightly prettier when turned off, or dim, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently playing with RSS/SMURFF and am using Space Y parts for my Falcon like lifter. Ever since SMURFF updated to 1.5, Space Y parts are not working with SMURFF. Its only Space Y parts that are not scaling with SMURFF. Any fix for this? 

8 hours ago, Porter_John said:

I am currently playing with RSS/SMURFF and am using Space Y parts for my Falcon like lifter. Ever since SMURFF updated to 1.5, Space Y parts are not working with SMURFF. Its only Space Y parts that are not scaling with SMURFF. Any fix for this? 

Are you also using Cryogenic Engines?

24 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Are you also using Cryogenic Engines?

I am using Cryogenic Engines in my modpack itself, but not on the lifter I mentioned!

Edit. After removing Cryo Engines, Space Y now works with SMURFF. Any idea how to get both to work. Space Y and Cryo Engines are currently my two favorite mods. If I had to choose between the two, I would obviously go with Space Y, but I don't want to make this choice haha. 

Edited Edit: I've isolated it to the CryoTanks folder from the Cryo Engines Mod. 

Edited by Porter_John

Alright, I think I know what the issue is: SpaceY fuel tanks (I assume that's what you're talking about -- please confirm whether the engines are or are not getting buffed?) are slightly lighter than stockalike fuel tanks, and some of SMURFF's "overdraft protection" logic is a little too conservative.  Unnecessary details in the spoiler block.

Spoiler

Let's consider the F12 fuel tank (SYtank5mL0375).  It has a mass of 7.75 tons, and 12,600 units of LFO, or 63 tons.  Ordinary fuel tanks are 1/8th as heavy as the fuel they contain, which would be 7.875 tons.  Without Cryogenic Engines, SMURFF would subtract 3/4ths of 7.875 tons from the F12 tank's mass, which would leave it with a mass of 1.84[...] tons, rather than 1.96[...] if it were stock.  Fine and dandy -- SMURFF will revert a part's mass if it's sent into the negatives, but that's not the case here.

However, CryoTanks (bundled with Cryogenic Engines) throws a bit of a monkey wrench into this.  In order to get the different tank type masses (i.e. tons-per-unit) to work correctly, CryoTanks will subtract the mass of a stockalike fuel tank from the mass of the part.  This is fine in the stock game, as even though 7.75 - 7.875 is negative, the equivalent fuel tank mass will be added back again by the tank variant (7.75 - 7.875 + 7.875).  However, SMURFF makes CryoTanks's tank variants lighter (dividing LFO by 4 to get 1.96[...]), so there's no longer a guarantee that the final mass will still be positive.  7.75 - 7.875 is less than zero, so to guarantee that the final mass will be positive, the "subracted mass" is divided by 4 as well, so that they cancel out, and SpaceY tanks get no improvement.

Obviously, that's not quite right, since the logic failed to take into account the new tank -- I shouldn't be checking 7.75 vs. 7.875, but rather 7.75 vs. (3/4)*7.875.  7.75 - 7.875 + 1.96[...] is still positive.

4 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Alright, I think I know what the issue is: SpaceY fuel tanks (I assume that's what you're talking about -- please confirm whether the engines are or are not getting buffed?) are slightly lighter than stockalike fuel tanks, and some of SMURFF's "overdraft protection" logic is a little too conservative.  Unnecessary details in the spoiler block.

Reveal hidden contents

Let's consider the F12 fuel tank (SYtank5mL0375).  It has a mass of 7.75 tons, and 12,600 units of LFO, or 63 tons.  Ordinary fuel tanks are 1/8th as heavy as the fuel they contain, which would be 7.875 tons.  Without Cryogenic Engines, SMURFF would subtract 3/4ths of 7.875 tons from the F12 tank's mass, which would leave it with a mass of 1.84[...] tons, rather than 1.96[...] if it were stock.  Fine and dandy -- SMURFF will revert a part's mass if it's sent into the negatives, but that's not the case here.

However, CryoTanks (bundled with Cryogenic Engines) throws a bit of a monkey wrench into this.  In order to get the different tank type masses (i.e. tons-per-unit) to work correctly, CryoTanks will subtract the mass of a stockalike fuel tank from the mass of the part.  This is fine in the stock game, as even though 7.75 - 7.875 is negative, the equivalent fuel tank mass will be added back again by the tank variant (7.75 - 7.875 + 7.875).  However, SMURFF makes CryoTanks's tank variants lighter (dividing LFO by 4 to get 1.96[...]), so there's no longer a guarantee that the final mass will still be positive.  7.75 - 7.875 is less than zero, so to guarantee that the final mass will be positive, the "subracted mass" is divided by 4 as well, so that they cancel out, and SpaceY tanks get no improvement.

Obviously, that's not quite right, since the logic failed to take into account the new tank -- I shouldn't be checking 7.75 vs. 7.875, but rather 7.75 vs. (3/4)*7.875.  7.75 - 7.875 + 1.96[...] is still positive.

The first image shows The SpaceY Heavy Moa without SMURFF

G3kFam7.png

The Second image shows the same image with SMURFF and WITHOUT the Cryotanks folder in gamedata4hQvoMB.png

The third and final image shows the same engine and craft with SMURFF and with CryoTanks installed in GameDataSAR9Pph.png

10 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

FYI, the part search system doesn't strip punctuation and such from titles, so I have to add the quote mark to find your parts (e.g. '"thumper').  Squad parts just have the nickname sans quote marks in the part tags.

Ah, that's a good point. I'll see about adding the tags.

EDIT: Actually I have the tags in there. I wonder why they're not working?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.