[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

On 30/6/2016 at 6:57 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

I haven't unlocked most of the parts yet but I've found one I love--the separator nosecones.  They're so much easier to handle than separatrons.  However, I play with Stage Recovery and normally put chutes on my boosters--the biggest chutes go on top.  Thus I am hoping for a version of the separators that is a flat disc, the same ease of placement while allowing a chute on top of them.

I would advise you the Lithobrake Exploration Technologies mod from Necrobones which add the nice big radial chutes, it saves A LOT of parts count (before I stacked several radial chutes, now, just one most of the time, 4 to my biggest LF/Ox stages.

About those Nosecones sepatrons, they are nice but I have to reduce the thrust since it kicks a lot and I saw Jumbox2+Mainsail make a 270° at separation fearing that they smack onto eachother, ruining my day. With thrust at 50% it's perfect, the radial boosters bloom nicely without spinning.

@krone12 longer 2.5m SRB:0.0: the last one is pretty huge. If you need bigger you should jump on the 3.75m ones.

4 hours ago, Vahal said:

About those Nosecones sepatrons, they are nice but I have to reduce the thrust since it kicks a lot and I saw Jumbox2+Mainsail make a 270° at separation fearing that they smack onto eachother, ruining my day. With thrust at 50% it's perfect, the radial boosters bloom nicely without spinning.

Yeah, that was the idea. I made the thrust high enough that they could work with some pretty massive boosters. If they're smaller, you can always tune the strength downward. You just can't tune them upward from their maximum in the VAB. :)

On 7/2/2016 at 4:21 AM, Vahal said:

I would advise you the Lithobrake Exploration Technologies mod from Necrobones which add the nice big radial chutes, it saves A LOT of parts count (before I stacked several radial chutes, now, just one most of the time, 4 to my biggest LF/Ox stages.

@krone12 longer 2.5m SRB:0.0: the last one is pretty huge. If you need bigger you should jump on the 3.75m ones.

It was the Lithobrake chutes that made me think of a flat version of the separator nosecones.

I've never seen a high degree of spin cause a problem on separation, even if they do a whole spin they don't touch.

I've probably asked this before, but I love the SpaceY separators (SY-RD1) and the separator nose cones (SNC1S), but sometimes they're not enough, or too hard to get balanced, or I can't use the nose cone.

How about a flat surface-mount rocket that comes in 4 units of rocket fuel (1 nozzle), 8 units (2 nozzles) and 16 units (4 nozzles)?  Something that I can slap on the tail end of the rocket, on the inside, that can be used to push the tail of the booster away from the core.  Or small enough that I could put it up top on a larger liquid fueled booster to push the nose away as well.

The Place-Anywhere 7 RCS port would be a suitable form factor / size.

15 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

How about a flat surface-mount rocket that comes in 4 units of rocket fuel (1 nozzle), 8 units (2 nozzles) and 16 units (4 nozzles)?  Something that I can slap on the tail end of the rocket, on the inside, that can be used to push the tail of the booster away from the core.  Or small enough that I could put it up top on a larger liquid fueled booster to push the nose away as well.

I could see something like that being useful. Right now there's the Ejectatron (10x Sepratron), but it's not outward-facing as such, so of course those often have to be in pairs when placed on the sides of the boosters. Something mountable inboard could be cool.

On 11/7/2016 at 11:01 PM, WuphonsReach said:

I've probably asked this before, but I love the SpaceY separators (SY-RD1) and the separator nose cones (SNC1S), but sometimes they're not enough, or too hard to get balanced, or I can't use the nose cone.

The Place-Anywhere 7 RCS port would be a suitable form factor / size.

Use the offset tool to move the decoupler near the top of your booster so the force applied to the booster will push it away and at the same time push more the top of the boosters make them blooming like this:

1468662985-screenshot-2016-07-13-22-24-3

Even with 7.5m boosters I didn't feel the need for more boo... sepatrons. :o

When I used flingatrons (from MRS) I placed a pair of them at the bottom of the booster and another one at the top slightly tilted like this:

1468663832-screenshot2.png

You can see the decoupler location near the top and the upper pairs of sepatrons. With this I can eject safely any sort of booster whatever their size using sepatrons or fligatrons. Their positionning prevent melting the other boosters or the central fuel tank, the booster being usually butt heavy the top is more pushed away than the bottom (plus the action of the decouplers helping that) and being slightly tilted slow the booster faster.

But withe SY RD1 decoupler I don't need this design anymore, I place them like in the first picture and that's all. One thing I do is to use the offset thingy to clip the decoupler inside the boosters and central fuel tank cause I prefer to have my boosters quite close to the main body. By default I find the RD1 decoupler separate too much the boosters from the main body.

On 7/15/2016 at 11:35 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

This appears to be missing the huge fairings it should have.

What do you mean? Are they missing from the VAB menus? Might need to double-check that you've unlocked them in the tech tree. :)  Or are you looking for big clamshells?

2 hours ago, NecroBones said:

What do you mean? Are they missing from the VAB menus? Might need to double-check that you've unlocked them in the tech tree. :)  Or are you looking for big clamshells?

I have a big mining bird I'm getting ready to fly.  It's going to use a skycrane type setup--the booster sits on top and will take back off after dropping the mining facility.  However, that means I've got two 7.5m sections separated by a bunch of junk--it launch better if that were smooth.

On 7/18/2016 at 0:55 PM, Loren Pechtel said:

I have a big mining bird I'm getting ready to fly.  It's going to use a skycrane type setup--the booster sits on top and will take back off after dropping the mining facility.  However, that means I've got two 7.5m sections separated by a bunch of junk--it launch better if that were smooth.

OK, I see. The "Expanded" set has the 7.5m fairing base, which should be in Heavy Aerodynamics in the tech tree. The stock-style fairing bases should be usable to make an inline fairing. There are also the 7.5m thrust plates, which will give you a shroud as well.

1 hour ago, Norcalplanner said:

I think part of the confusion may be that the small icons for the 5m and 7.5m fairings look very different from the icons for the stock fairings.

Yeah, that's something I might need to work on. It's possible to add a mesh object that's shown only in the icon, and not in-game, so I can probably do something similar.

On 7/23/2016 at 3:22 PM, fourfa said:

This is a very minor nitpick, but in the SpaceY 'custom category' tab -> Utility sub-tab, the 3.75m-2.5m Conical Payload Bay appears, but the 5m-3.75m Conical Payload Bay does not.

I probably forgot to configure that. Thanks, I'll take a look.

17 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Can you explain the big reaction control wheels?

Sure, you just need to use 2-way symmetry and then stick them on the side. They're ring halves, that wrap around the outside of the rocket.

3 hours ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Can you please please please make this support RO

1 hour ago, GrzesiekB said:

Is this compatible with Real Plume?

Both of those usually provide support from their side. You'll have to check with them.

22 hours ago, GrzesiekB said:

Is this compatible with Real Plume?

Without Real Plume

1469617081-screenshot5.png

With Real Plume (stock config)

1469617174-screenshot-2016-06-30-19-08-2

Bottom line, yes, SpaceY is compatible with this mod :wink:

Hey @NecroBones!

I love your mods and SpaceY, SpaceY Expanded, Color Coded Canisters, Fuel Tanks Plus and Modular Rocket Systems are part of every one of my installs! I have created a Tech Tree called the Historical Progression Tech Tree that you can see here:

I have provided configs for the files to organize the Fuel Tanks Plus as well as SpaceY parts, but I am running into problems with SpaceY. With the way you implemented the tech tree additions, I am having trouble overwriting them within the config file. Would you be willing to add a NEEDS:!HPTechTree exception in your file to not add the new nodes if my Tree is installed?

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.