[0.25] NEBULA space engineering - EVA handrails pack

Krasimir

GmDalyT.jpg

Download:

KerbalStuff

Curse

This pack adds 5 EVA handrails for space stations and science vessels, more suitable than ladders in weightlessness.

Handrails are usable and can be grabbed by a kerbal while on EVA and used to walk around your space station/spaceship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the name of: "NEBULA space engineering" i will release more parts some of them currently wip.

Comming next:

Modular trusses.

Unshrouded fuel tanks.

Decorative windows.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

License: CC-BY-ND 4.0

Cool video spotlight made by KyleKidd

Edited by Krasimir
Spelling error

Hmm this is a really good idea, however these will add a LOT of parts to large stations making a ton of new lag... Could you make a part which goes around 2.5 meter parts? or one long hand rail?

I do like the idea of this but hand rails made to fit parts like that would be amazing, I just wish I had added these to my ISS :P

Perhaps, if you give the parts the line in the cfg "physicssignificance=0", then a lot more can be put on stations.

Yes, I would absolutely do this, but it needs to be "1":

PhysicsSignificance = 1

The stock ladders are set this way, and it removes the physics calculations from the parts, which you'll need if you're putting a lot of them on something, so your framerate doesn't drop to unplayable levels.

Played around with it a bit. Things I'm missing: longer straight handrails and ladder that would be able to make you do a 90 degree turn (for moving from the stack handrail to a handrail on a part that sticks out radially from the stack).

Played around with it a bit. Things I'm missing: longer straight handrails and ladder that would be able to make you do a 90 degree turn (for moving from the stack handrail to a handrail on a part that sticks out radially from the stack).

Expect the longer rails as well as full circumference ones :) As for making 90 degree turn you shouldnt have problems, if you have any try to play with the spacing between the rails, in the following image kerbal have no problems taking any of the turns between the rails. If you have troublesome turn try with facing it with the feet so the kerbal head is not colliding with it :D

nPphz3T.png

EDIT: On a second thought i may indeed make 90 degree turn part to avoid trial and error builds.

Edited by Krasimir

Could we get silver handrails rather than gold ones as an option? It'd fit the stock feel better, in my opinion.

In the same color as the stock ladder segments? That way, the texture of the ladder segment could be used on these pieces, and it would cut down it's ram use to next-to-nothing.

Could we get silver handrails rather than gold ones as an option? It'd fit the stock feel better, in my opinion.

I almost finished implementing Firespitter texture switcher, so expect more textures with ability to change them via GUI in editor or while on EVA in the next update of the mod :)