• Earth/Moon
    • Mars/Moons
    • Something in the asteroid belt.
    • Jupiter/Moons
    • Saturn/Moons
    • Uranus/Moons
    • Neptune/Moons
    • Sol/Kuiper Belt

A favourite is hard to pick, but Jupiter scores high on the list. Not only is it a bad female parent fornicator, but it is also always shining so brightly in the sky. It's a little companion at night and a huge thug (and tug) that messes with all the other bodies. Shine shine, Jupiter coming through!

A favourite is hard to pick, but Jupiter scores high on the list. Not only is it a bad female parent fornicator, but it is also always shining so brightly in the sky. It's a little companion at night and a huge thug (and tug) that messes with all the other bodies. Shine shine, Jupiter coming through!

Can you pick "Jupiter/Moons" on the list?

Aside from Earth for obvious reasons...

Terrestrial: Mars. Like many others, it is a place to which I look to in the hopes that one day in my life, we'll visit it ourselves.

Gas/Ice giant: Neptune/Saturn. This is a tough contest, and between the two, I'd say Neptune simply because I find it utterly intriguing... and blue. Lovely blue. Saturn, of course, is just beautiful though, and once you look at it through a telescope, there's no going back.

Moon(s): The Moon, Europa, Titan. Probably somewhat unoriginal thinking, but there you go.

Of course, I love everything space, so...

Huge fan of Jupiter here. Why? Because in a a backyard telescope I can imagine it looks like the Death Star. Jupiter is why I buy/build new telescopes. If the coming summer (the only time I look this stuff up is in the winter when it is cold) Jupiter will be in the right part of my sky for early evening viewing, I start looking at product.

Last time it was a 12" dobson that I built. That might be it though... The optics to go to a 20" might cost more than I care. However, I might build an elliptical mount with a drive. Saturn is hard to view on a dobson mount at any significant magnification. An elliptical mount would let me conduct a partial Messier survey. But I live close to a lot of water, all the Messier objects are going to present as blobs.

Now that I have derailed the thread, I am going to suggest 2" eye pieces. When I switched to 2", my viewing pleasure went up 723%. But now lenses cost more than my whole telescope...

#spacenerd

Hold on, I am not sure I am done yet :D I like Ceres too, the little planet that couldn't. Big bully Jupiter ruined its plans.

As a direct beneficiary of Jupiter clearing the inner solar system of asteroids, I say Ceres had it coming.

iapetus has always delighted me because it looks like a cartoon parody of a celestial body from a comic book that was accidentally implemented in real life. the bizarre two-tone colouring, the giant crater that makes it look like the death star (or old AT&T logo, your pick), and the 13,000m high equatorial ridge system that makes the whole moon look like it got stuck in a hula hoop are so charming to me. any one or two of these features would be enough to make a body a point of interest but the fact that all three appeared on one object just makes it perfect.

an honourable mention is hyperion because, let's be honest, it's a sponge. a giant sponge in space. how does such an object even form? why is it the only moon with a chaotic rotation period? who lives in a pineapple under the sea? so many questions.

iapetus has always delighted me because it looks like a cartoon parody of a celestial body from a comic book that was accidentally implemented in real life. the bizarre two-tone colouring, the giant crater that makes it look like the death star (or old AT&T logo, your pick), and the 13,000m high equatorial ridge system that makes the whole moon look like it got stuck in a hula hoop are so charming to me. any one or two of these features would be enough to make a body a point of interest but the fact that all three appeared on one object just makes it perfect.

an honourable mention is hyperion because, let's be honest, it's a sponge. a giant sponge in space. how does such an object even form? why is it the only moon with a chaotic rotation period? who lives in a pineapple under the sea? so many questions.

Except for that crater; that's on Mimas.

As awesome and beautiful as the cosmos is, it's hard to beat Earth. It has a tremendous number of climates, lush with life of all varieties, a breathable atmosphere, and just the right resources to help a species make its start into the Universe.

It's the only one we have in this star-system, so lets try not to break it...

Looove Saturn to death, rings are amazing, and it's my overall favorite! Jupiter is really close though, I really like the cloud belts as well as it's moons, but rings as brilliant as Saturn's are hard to beat.

On the other hand, when it comes to actually observing the planets, I would have to say Jupiter because it ends up being a much better sight through the 'scope, and the moons are different every time! I have some good memories going out in -10 degree weather bundled up with a small scope and seeing that bright yellow dot overhead. To me Jupiter feels like a close friend :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.