Easiest 3D modeling software for a newbie?

I've done a couple of things on Blender. I guess it's one of those things you learn to enjoy as you become more experienced with it. I never got past the stage of trying to do something and closing the damn thing on a ragequit. It's extremely hard to use if you're not used to so many modeling tools. :(

Here's some of the stuff I've made:

ybDCyo6.png

REwzz3f.png

This one is/was supposed to be a 0.625m engine for KSP. I hate Unity.

S9f7ycE.png

No modelling program is really easy, but I'm using Blender, and when you know how it works, then it will get much easier. :) Also, you will need the free Unity 3D Game Engine, to export your part into files KSP can read correctly. At last, you have to make the part config, but it's self-explaining anyway, so really, you just have to learn modelling and a bit of Unity stuff, that's it. :) But it's a big learning process, and you will need quiet an amount of time until you get something working as you want.

To say blender is "not user friendly" is frankly "missing the point"!

Blender states on it's website, that the GUI is unconventional and different then what you are used to.

But they are right when they claim: "After two weeks you'll wish all other apps would use the same system"

I do!

Beginner hints:

1) learn hot-keys!!!

2) learn hot-keys!!!

3) learn hot-keys!!!

I'm assuming you don't know any 3D. The easiest 3d software is the one that you have access to largest group of users who can help with your questions directly related to what you are trying to do (making assets for KSP), in that case, it's Blender.

Blender states on it's website, that the GUI is unconventional and different then what you are used to.

But they are right when they claim: "After two weeks you'll wish all other apps would use the same system"

I do!

Beginner hints:

1) learn hot-keys!!!

2) learn hot-keys!!!

3) learn hot-keys!!!

All of this is true.

I do!

Beginner hints:

1) learn hot-keys!!!

2) learn hot-keys!!!

3) learn hot-keys!!!

I don't even have that secondary number pad since I'm on a laptop, so that's pretty much out of question. :(

I don't even have that secondary number pad since I'm on a laptop, so that's pretty much out of question. :(

The number pad is mostly useful for quickly changing your views, but on a laptop without one you should be able to use the function key with one of the letters. Sometimes laptops have the numpad on the right side of the alphabetic part of the keyboard.

I do!

Beginner hints:

1) learn hot-keys!!!

2) learn hot-keys!!!

3) learn hot-keys!!!

Very true. I started with Blender a couple of months ago, and once I got my head around it (and learned enough hot-keys), the workflow started going pretty easily.

Unity supports many different import formats. But does not support any 3d app's native formats (*.blend; *.max; *.mb; etc). When you "import" a Blend file; Unity is using Blender to export an FBX behind your back.

any 3d app that exports OBJ or FBX or DAE or 3DS will do. each pipeline will have their own advantages and disadvantages and quirkiness.

I'd like to chime in that Wings3D is very, very easy to learn.

It is what I use myself, might be an alternative if you find Blender a headache.

I've used Wings3D in the past. Is it possible to do animations in Wings? I've been eyeballing a project, but it will require animations... I'll learn Blender if I must, but that learning curve is pretty steep (and fiddling with Blender isn't nearly as fun as Dwarf Fortress).

I've used Wings3D in the past. Is it possible to do animations in Wings? I've been eyeballing a project, but it will require animations... I'll learn Blender if I must, but that learning curve is pretty steep (and fiddling with Blender isn't nearly as fun as Dwarf Fortress).

It is not possible, but all animation can be done in Unity (Which IMO is easier if you want to change the animation in the future also).

c39b354c7f.png

The only exception here is "organic" style animation (limbs, etc) which I guess you would have to use Blender (or paid alternatives). But I have had no problem making solar panels, folding antenna dishes, cargo bays, etc...

And hi-five to another DF fan!

Edited by Beale

For someone new to 3d I'd say try Wings 3D first.

Blender has a lot more modeling tools. And rendering tools, and animation tools. But if you're just trying to make a simple little test object all that stuff justs gets in the way and gives you more clutter to sort through trying to find basic features.

Wings just does modeling and UV unwraps.

When you start trying to learn Unity at the same time you'll appreciate a bit more simplicity in your modeling software.

Any suggestions for sizing in Wings3D? I'm sure it can be scaled, but I'd rather model at near the same scale/resolution...

1.00 metre in Wings 3D = 1.25 metre in-game, as in the same size as the LV-T30/45 size.

0.5 metre = 0.625 metre in-game, same size as probe parts.

2.00 metre = 2.5m in-game, same as the 3-man command pod.

3.00 metre = 3.75m in-game and so on...

Basically, if you stick to these sizes, your parts are compatible with all other stock parts.

Edited by Beale

1.00 metre in Wings 3D = 1.25 metre in-game, as in the same size as the LV-T30/45 size.

0.5 metre = 0.625 metre in-game, same size as probe parts.

2.00 metre = 2.5m in-game, same as the 3-man command pod.

3.00 metre = 3.75m in-game and so on...

Basically, if you stick to these sizes, your parts are compatible with all other stock parts.

That's if you don't set a "rescaleFactor" in the part's CFG file. KSP will default to 1.25x for the rescaleFactor. I'm assuming there's not also a 25% increase coming from whatever format Wings3D is exporting.

If you set "rescaleFactor=1.0", then the sizes will map 1:1, except if you import as FBX format, where everything is reduced to 1% (yes, 0.01x) when importing into unity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.