Computer specs good for gaming?

deepspacecreeper

Hi, i am recently considering a new computer (laptop), which has decent specs for gaming but not too expensive.

Acer V3-572g-54s6

Core i5 4210u (1.7ghz 2-core)

Geforce 840m (2gb mem)

8gb ram

around $600

Can this run KSP with >25fps?

Could anyone give me some advice on this? Thanks very much (& fly safe)!!! :)

Whether it can run KSP at a certain frame rate is highly dependent on craft complexity, but truth be told, even an i5 on 1,7 GHz is not the faster processor out there. KSP needs a good single threaded speed.

Well talking about clock rates, i notice the 3rd generation core i5 i7 have quad cores (some) and higher clock rates, while the 4th generation cpus have lower clock rates and dual cores.

I tested the stock Kerbal X on a recently bought macbook pro (someone else's), and it works really well. the mac has a geforce 750m and a 2.8ghz dual core.

Well talking about clock rates, i notice the 3rd generation core i5 i7 have quad cores (some) and higher clock rates, while the 4th generation cpus have lower clock rates and dual cores.

Thats due to the different categories of Intel i-CPUs, you didnt compare the right categories:

There is the desktop series, they have no letter or a K/X for the best versions. Here i5 and i7 are quadcores (almost allways), i3 are only dualcores but have hyperthreading.

The laptop series has a M as its letter, here only the i7 is a quadcore and i5 and i3 are dualcores, the i5 come with turbo.

The ultrabook series have a U or a Y as its letter, there are no quadcores at all.

I cant give warranty on this since i wrote this just from my memory.

decent specs

While this laptop is quite good for 600$ i wouldnt call this "decent". You will be able to play most modern games (the CPU may be to bad for some), but only on the lower settings since the GPU is realy weak...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.