How do you transport your rover?

I have a small rover I made using the stock rover body. My plan was to attach it to the bottom of my lander using a mini-docking port. However, I created my rover in the SPH, an made it a sub assembly.

I then created the lander, put a docking port on the bottom and grabbed by rover out of the sub assembly where the mini-docking port doesn't have a green connector orb, just has one on the bottom of the rover for some reason.

I don't mind using KAS, or making something with a drawbridge/garage door opener, I just don't know how to do those kind of things.

Edited by Jasel

The sub-assembly menu has a stupid rule that it only allows attachment to the "root" part, which unfortunatly means your rover body. So what you have to do is save the rover as a sub assembly without a docking port on it, then make your lander with a docking port and another docking port attacted to it, then load and connect your rover to that second docking port.

Hope that makes sense.

I have a small rover I made using the stock rover body. My plan was to attach it to the bottom of my lander using a mini-docking port. However, I created my rover in the SPH, an made it a sub assembly.

I then created the lander, put a docking port on the bottom and grabbed by rover out of the sub assembly where the mini-docking port doesn't have a green connector orb, just has one on the bottom of the rover for some reason.

I don't mind using KAS, or making something with a drawbridge/garage door opener, I just don't know how to do those kind of things.

When you make a subassembly the first piece is critical. If you want to be able to mate them up for example with the docking port, then when you build the rover you must start with the docking port as the first piece.

You can only attach the subassembly from its root node.

In stock, I think you'll have to mount the rover using a bunch of cubic octagonal struts. You might be able to arrange it so the docking connection is made upon putting the rocket on the pad, and can then blow away the cuboct struts with a couple of decouplers. It will need precise placement.

With mods you could use SelectRoot to change the root node, though this can occasionally cause bugs. The next KSP release is expected to make this capability stock.

Or you will have to simply remake the rover starting with the docking port.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.