[1.2][v0.9.7]Kerbal Live Feed - Interstellar Flight Inc (FORK)

Stavell

Why play alone, when you can play alone together?"

Kerbal LiveFeed is a plugin, client and server that lets you see other players are doing while you play KSP. You can see their vessels and orbits in Map View, read live status updates of their ships, chat and share screenshots and craft files.

KLF.jpg

I'm Picking up support from SodiumEyes original release is here : Kerbal Live Feed original Thread

CURRENT VERSION - v0.9.7 Supports KSP 1.2

Installation and Usage:

Available For download here KerbalLiveFeedforKSP110VER097.zip

or at

GitHub Releases

Download the archive and extract the contents. Make sure KLFClient.exe is in your KSP main directory. and the KLF folder goes into your GameData folder

Run KLFClient.exe connect to server then run KSP.

Server Addresses: ksp.gaterunner.com (If you have a server running let me know and I'll place it here)

Server Status Page at: http://ksp.gaterunner.com:8080

Screen Shot Gallery from Gaterunner server This is a live feed and Updates every-time a screenshot is shared on the server.

Note that Mono is required to run the client/server on Linux and Mac.

Source Available at GitHub

License: GPL V3

Current work Progress -

: Converting Server from console Application to Service Application

: Code to delete screenshots from server.

Wants and goals:

drag-able size adjustment of windows.

slow scan camera to watch other players flights

more details Speed Altitude etc for each players active ship.

Chat rooms.

Edited by Stavell
New Release

When I try to connect to a server, it gives me this:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.get_Connected () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Client.get_isConnected () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Client.connectToServer (ClientSettings settings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConsoleClient.connectionLoop (ClientSettings settings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConsoleClient.connect (ClientSettings settings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by lordmuffin

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.get_Connected () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Client.connectToServer (ClientSettings settings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConsoleClient.connectionLoop (ClientSettings settings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConsoleClient.connect (ClientSettings settings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

thats the message u usualy gedt when either server down, u typed the address wrong or server is having problems

This happens when the server restarts or a port is locked. As ststed by others restarting client will fix it if it's the server - Check to make sure you jave allowed port 2075 through on your firewall.

I'm working on catching the exception and giving a better error message.

Also make sure the KLFClient.exe is in the same directory as the KSP.exe.

So, how does this work exactly I am not familiar with the original? By work I mean do I just load up a saved game after connecting to the server and starting KSP? Are there limits to what kind of save? i.e. Sandbox only, or career ok too? What about Win 64 KSP or is only 32 bit ok?

Also, we can see other players ships in map view how processor intensive is this kind of updating? In other words am I going to lagging all over the place if I have a 300 part ship loaded? What about once I leave will the server dump others ships so that the server stay clean and orderly? (this is the big problem I had with the actual multiplayer mods) Sorry about all the questions but I don't see any of them answered in the main post.

So, how does this work exactly I am not familiar with the original? By work I mean do I just load up a saved game after connecting to the server and starting KSP? Are there limits to what kind of save? i.e. Sandbox only, or career ok too? What about Win 64 KSP or is only 32 bit ok?

In the current version, the KLF UI isn't shown until you reach the Space Center scene after loading a save; and the type of save does not matter. KLF is not aware of the type of save you load, and I don't expect this would change as KLF is updated and features are added. I've asked Stavell if he'd like someone to assist with the KLF continuation project, and helping users comes along with that. However, personally as a modder and someone who has spent a fair bit of time looking in to KSP for Windows x64 stability, I can't recommend it for general use. That said, if there is indeed a problem within KLF that is unique to the Windows x64 version of KSP and it can be shown to be unrelated to the inherit instability, it would be something I would work to find a resolution. (Essentially, if KSP crashes-to-desktop (CTD), then it's almost certainly the general instability issue, as its very difficult for a mod to directly cause a CTD.)

Also, we can see other players ships in map view how processor intensive is this kind of updating? In other words am I going to lagging all over the place if I have a 300 part ship loaded?

In the current release of the continuation, there is a bug in the map view when the option to see others' ships is active. Stavell is working to fix that problem ASAP. My point is that, right now the map view mode is generating an error repeatedly so there is a bit of lag - turning off the feature (via the GUI) eliminates the lag. In any case, the map view is otherwise unaffected. The map view feature is very light weight; only the information necessary to display the vessel at a given location is sent, so when it is working properly it should be no more processor intensive than your own normal debris tracking.

What about once I leave will the server dump others ships so that the server stay clean and orderly? (this is the big problem I had with the actual multiplayer mods) Sorry about all the questions but I don't see any of them answered in the main post.

I haven't looked at the server code yet - I'm mostly going to focus on the in-game GUI updates/additions, however in my current understanding of how KLF works, the server maintains very little state information. KLF is a simple chat (instant message) mod that adds a few conveniences for sharing gameplay elements; you're not able to interact with other player's vessels.

Is this compatible with RSS? What would it look like to Vanilla players?

That's a very good question. ;) I guess the next questions are: If it isn't compatible, should it be? If it should be, how should it handle the difference? I suppose that leads in to questions about other mods that add planets, 6.4X, 3.2X, etc. The TODO list grows ever longer. :)

Edited by ozraven
Reasons.

In the current release of the continuation, there is a bug in the map view when the option to see others' ships is active. Stavell is working to fix that problem ASAP. My point is that, right now the map view mode is generating an error repeatedly so there is a bit of lag - turning off the feature (via the GUI) eliminates the lag. In any case, the map view is otherwise unaffected.

Wow, thank you for the very detailed response. Also thank you for saving Stavell the trouble of answering my questions. I know feilding product support questions can be very draining.

I think for now I will wait till the map bug is fixed, but once it is fixed I am so going to install this.

Yes the exception error when in Map view is crazy. The server side is just a message handling so once a player disconnects their object on the server is destroyed and memory freed. The Screen shots are store directly to a website which is independent of the Server Application.

EDIT: Fixed code missing Obj Reference causing NRE Spam in map View

Edited by Stavell

Like Chezburgar, I didn't use the orginal, but it's a really cool concept so I'm glad it's being continued. :)

Also, minor nit-picky thing (feel free to ignore): I think that putting the version number in the thread title (editable via editing the original post) would be a good idea, because it helps people find out there's a new version.

An idea mentioned in the chat: a Button to fade the Chat window and disable click-ability on itself to allow seeing the chat while increasing clickable work space in Scenes or in flight.

Hey Spider! The UI is definitely getting some work done on it, and this is a good idea in addition to the others on the list.

Can this run as a separate window, so I could throw my own map view onto my second monitor?

Unfortunately, no, KLF can't provide this capability. The other KLF users' ships shown on map view are essentially debris drawn at the appropriate position by KSP, so KSP's maps and the code to draw all of it are not within KLF. However, there is a mod that does very much what you want, though I have not tried it myself: Stand Alone Map View.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.