[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Thing is... the oval (actually, an ovoid) is a pain to code, and not fun to re-model. You would get no additional space (you'd just lose some), and adds no gameplay value. I have no plans on doing this, because my plate is full as it is, and in my opinion, it adds nothing more than aesthetics.

RE fusion drives... there's a fusion drive node in the CTT.

What about coding it. and making it a separate download? for those who just want a more cool looking bubble?. like a download with a changed config or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure this has been asked, but I had a good search and couldn't find anything, can you use two of the drives to make a really massive ship spanning 2 warp bubbles?

No your ship will explode. you can use 2 rings with the KSPI mod though.

I'd like to use the design of the ring engine just as a twin engine mount for an otherwise stock rocket.

Its just for personal use - would it be OK if I stole the artwork for that?

Also - I don't know how to do this :rolleyes:. Could anyone give me some tips or point me at some reading?

I'd like to use the design of the ring engine just as a twin engine mount for an otherwise stock rocket.

Its just for personal use - would it be OK if I stole the artwork for that?

Also - I don't know how to do this :rolleyes:. Could anyone give me some tips or point me at some reading?

Go for it :) All you would have to do is modify the config to remove the warp drive partmodule, and change the engine properties (thrust, propellants, etc.)

I know he mentioned a few pages back or so working on a 5m or something to complete a set of three.

Yep - on the list :)

Not a huge deal by any stretch of the imagination, but the version checker lists this mod as "MKS".

Would it be possible to have it changed so that it is like "Warp Drive" or something? I saw two MKS in my version checker at startup and it confused me slightly at first and I thought I might have somehow installed the MKS mod twice or something.

Thanks!

I know he mentioned a few pages back or so working on a 5m or something to complete a set of three.

I would like to second this. I think I can cram a simple exploration mission into 2.5m but full galactic (StarSystems) conquest will require 5 or even 10m parts or HX4 parts from B9.

On the other end, a 0.65m part was ideal for probe use. =)

Thank you for producing a (well I haven't tested yet) usable warp drive system after the Interstellar/Interstellar Lite blow-up. =)

Also, with Interstellar I developed a technique called Berry Braking that involves warping to specifc coords relative to extremely massive object such as a star of some kind and using the gravity to give you dv. =) Simply pick your coords carefully enough and your conventional dv can be quite feasible. =)))

I still kinda wish the Warp Drive effect was a real warping of space effect. I have a feeling the TextureReplacer plugin might help with this, it now supports reflections. Warping is just like the opposite of reflecting, so yeah.

Why don't you ask RoverDude to plan this for a future update :)

No plans on changing the animation, etc - you guys got about the limit of what I'm doing with texture animations on this one.

RE the IXS - there is no compatibility patch, etc. though I expect it would be doable as the bubble is a separate model now.

RE the IXS - there is no compatibility patch, etc. though I expect it would be doable as the bubble is a separate model now.

Would it be as easy as simply copying some modules into the cfg. file. If so that I and anyone with any basic ksp modding skills can just do it themselves. If its not that simple, we'll just have to do without until it can be figured out. But thanks for the speedy answer. :D

I'd like to change the minimum altitude so that I can start the drive in LKO. Ideally I'd like the minimum altitude to be at the border between space and not space. Can I do this by changing a value in a .cfg, or would that require something a little trickier?

I had big plans for the warpdrive, and that failsafe altitude of 600k foiled them all (except maybe Duna).

I don't know if that a bug or it's just me but, on a modded ksp install, I can't activate the warp drive. It starts the bubble effect but then it collapses and the engine shutdowns. I was 525 000 meters high from kerbin with a ton of electric charge, xenon gas and exotic matter. And also, do I need to start charging exotic matter even if the alcubierre drive is full of it ?

I'm now using this thing with Stella and it'll take me 50 years to get to periapsis, and another 10 till the encounter. The manual burn to circularize will be 156 days long.

RoverDude, could you please add deceleration for once the warp drive is shut down? Also, my ship shakes like it has the Kraken while using it.

I don't know if that a bug or it's just me but, on a modded ksp install, I can't activate the warp drive. It starts the bubble effect but then it collapses and the engine shutdowns. I was 525 000 meters high from kerbin with a ton of electric charge, xenon gas and exotic matter. And also, do I need to start charging exotic matter even if the alcubierre drive is full of it ?

You need to be at 600 000m for the 2.5m drive and at 900 000m for the 0.625m drive. You don't need to start charging exotic matter if the drive is full of it, though I'd recommend you recharge your stores before you go for a space jaunt.

I don't understand your question RE deceleration... there is no acceleration or deceleration involved in this, rather it's translation of your location. Very big difference.

I mean that when I'm at Kerbin's altitude around Kerbol, if I use the warp drive, I'm still going at the same velocity at Jool's altitude. I want orbital velocity fixed, and the shakiness fixed too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.