[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Well for the moment I will use the following simple logic:

If you install WarpPlugin, you get acces to Antimatter Power, which will be required to use WarpEngines effectively. meaning you will require many Gigawatts to use warp travel, It would be unbalanced otherwise.

I think for the moment I'm going to disable the existing KSPI Warp Engines and optionaly allow the download of this Warp Engine Plugin to create balanced Warp capable vessels.

Question, Is there anyway I can use MM to detect if these WarpEngines parts are loaded?

Perhaps at an latter time, if you allow me, I can integrate some of it's code/graphics into KSPI, which would solve Mod conflicts and allow we to create more realisitic exotic matter charging behavior, improved tweakscale integration, GUI and safety features, (like dropping out of warp before the warp bubble implodes due to missing resources).

Nothing personal, but I did not make this mod just to toss it over to KSPI. So while the license technically allows reuse, etc. I would prefer that you do not roll in one of my active mods. This was built specifically as an alternative to the KSPI drive, and I intend to keep it as such. So yes, the license allows a derivative work (though I expect the CC license may conflict with KSPI's), so it's not an issue of allowing things. But if you're asking for a blessing, the answer would be a respectful no, for the reasons noted above.

Also, as I have stated repeatedly, if you want to do a KSPI config, that's fine - assuming all the user has is KSPI and is NOT using the NFT or USI constellations (these are both easy MM checks). But I would not want it interfering with NFT, etc. which use alternate power scales. Otherwise we're going to end up doing a battle royale of competing configs, and that's no fun for anyone.

Granted, all of that may change if we land in a place where there's more of a standard for large-scale power, etc. but we're just not there yet.

- - - Updated - - -

@CaribouGone - I'd have to fiddle and see what's causing that config edit not to work for you. The bubble collapse artifact is just something in the initial animation I need to sort.

@Helaeon - excellent points as always. Side note, doing some testing and such - I will send you a PM ;)

I understand you concern and think I have found the solution which should minimize problems:

- I do not include any of ISU Alcubierre Warp Drive files in the WarpPlugin download (KSPI Extended).

- I allow people to optionally download Alcubierre Warp Drive or Rigolith.

- I defined separate Part Files for the new KSPI WarpDrive which only use the Alcubierre Warp Drive module, model and graphic effects.

- KSPI disables USI Warpdirve Parts unless NFT Electrics is installed

Note that I also intend to integrate KSPI Near Future Integration into KSPI Extended. When it detect NFT Electrics, it enters KSPI NFT Mode meaning, all power levels will be scaled down to Near future levels. Effectively this means all reactors produce about 1000 times less power and electric engines require 100.00 less power. This will make KSPI and Near Future technology play nice with each other

So people which want to play with KSPI EXtended will have a choice, play realism focused KSPI or Stock gameplay focused KSPI NFT

Edited by FreeThinker

Roverdude, to be clear, the config edit did exactly what it should; i can warp at sea level just fine. its just that the failsafe was hiding this other behavior. it could be tied in the collapsing bubble animation, because i don't get the collapsing bubble anymore. thanks for looking into it.

Halaeon: thanks for the advice, i'll try some non-zero numbers to see if i can't find something both comfortable and error free.

trapping gamma waves and high energy particles is definitely a concern. some physicist postulated the amount of stuff trapped during an interstellar warp would be capable of destroying planets upon release.

concering atmospheric warps, this guy thinks they have already happened, naturally no less. honestly, his theories sounded a little wacky at face value, but the more i read, the more i was convinced.

sure, the sample of atmosphere brought along to space would expand, but the pressure would drop just as quickly. the forces exerted on the ship would be no where near the punishment suffered a traditional during re-entry.

doing the opposite might cause problems: warping from a space into an atmosphere. upon exiting warp, gases would rush in to fill the vacuum "brought along" by the bubble. the turbulence caused by that might be unpleasant. but again, how would it compare to the stresses aircraft and spacecraft already deal with?

barely related: Dennis Hopper blew himself up with dynamite in 1983. unscathed! because the explosives were arranged symmetrically around him, the forces inward cancelled each other out, creating a little bubble of safe space.

You could totally do a Near Future Interstellar with this mod... Near Future Technologies combined with MKS/OKS, CTT, and this warp drive. No need for KSPI at that point. That would make for an interesting bundle. :)

Out of curiosity, where abouts are the posts talking about stacking warp rings?

You could totally do a Near Future Interstellar with this mod... Near Future Technologies combined with MKS/OKS, CTT, and this warp drive. No need for KSPI at that point. That would make for an interesting bundle. :)

Out of curiosity, where abouts are the posts talking about stacking warp rings?

We already have that today ;) This drive is appropriately scaled for NFT/USI mods out of the box. It was released as a completely stand alone and independent alternative to the Alcubierre drive in KSPI. It's at the extreme right of the CTT tech tree.

We already have that today ;) This drive is appropriately scaled for NFT/USI mods out of the box. It was released as a completely stand alone and independent alternative to the Alcubierre drive in KSPI. It's at the extreme right of the CTT tech tree.

So basicly you demand people to reseach a lot of technodes (inclusing antimatter) just to unlock Warptravel? Since the warp drive is not requiring more than a few KiloWatts, wouldn't it fit better if you keep it in expirimental rocketry?

The reactors and such are assumed to be part of the drive, and it's still a capstone part. It would not make sense to have it that early in the tree given there are less powerful drives beyond experimental rocketry.

Also I expect those other nodes will be filled with parts sooner or later ;)

The reactors and such are assumed to be part of the drive, and it's still a capstone part. It would not make sense to have it that early in the tree given there are less powerful drives beyond experimental rocketry.

Also I expect those other nodes will be filled with parts sooner or later ;)

Ok so the internal reactor is dedicated for the production of Exotic Matter, you only need a few Kilowatt power to initiate the reactor, like with fusion reactor, and pumb the exotic matter arround. That sure is a very efficent reactor, no wasteheat what so ever. ;)

Alright, so the internal reactor is dedicated for the production of Exotic Matter, you only need a few Kilowatt power to initiate the reactor, like with fusion reactor. That sure is a very efficent reactor, no wasteheat what so ever.

The stock game isn't count wasteheat anyway. So I'd like to agree with RoverDude about this.

But as I read the threads, I suspect you make something with KSPI. On that you have to have that for sure.

I didn't tried out CTT yet. But for me the end of the line is Experimental Rocketry with which this drive is perfectly blends into the end of the "stock" techtree. I was feeling I have earned the possibility of traveling faster than light when I finaly researched that node.

Edit:

That "few Kilowatt" is a "huge" thing with stock energy generation possibilities. Half the ship has to be PBNuk and a big array of Gigantor solar array. (In stock!!!)

So you should use USI reactors instead. And in this way I think it is perfectly blends into the constellation :D

Edited by Ricardo79

Ok so the internal reactor is dedicated for the production of Exotic Matter, you only need a few Kilowatt power to initiate the reactor, like with fusion reactor, and pumb the exotic matter arround. That sure is a very efficent reactor, no wasteheat what so ever. ;)

Dude. No need to get snarky.

Notice the giant glowing radiator things all over the ring?

This is similar to an argument that engines should have separate parts for the nozzle, turbopump, hypergol manifold, heat exchanger, etc. - while I expect such a mod would be interesting, at the end of the day, it's all worked into the mass/cost/model of the part. Same here.

The entire intent... like, every single design decision in making this, is that it has to be usable as a stand-alone mod with as few dependencies as possible (i.e. no dependency on CRP, MKS, NFT, etc. - it's only dependency is Regolith) - so the power number is low to account for stock levels and stock access. Radiators are built in because as noted, there are no stock radiators. Naturally, if stock ever decides to get nuclear reactors and radiators, that will change. But for now (and the foreseeable future), a significant amount of abstraction has to be worked into the mass and cost of the part.

Alright, KSPI Extended 0.7.20 you now have the following behavior regarding WarpDrives:

• If you have only KSPI installed (and no USI WarpDrive) you will have access to the MegaWatt Classic Warpdrive
  • If you have both KSPI and USI WarpDrive you will have access to GigaWatt Extended Warpdrive
  • If you have USI WarpDrive and NFT-E installed you will access to KiloWatt USI WarpDrive

Two. One is the 2.5m drive, the other is a foldable 0.625m version. A 3.75/5m version is on the drawing board.

In KSPI Extended, I support 6 sizes (0.625, 1.25, 1.875, 2.5, 3.75, 5m). I also tried to integrate with TweakScale but BubbleSize doesn't seem to work correctly with TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS

In KSPI Extended, I support 6 sizes (0.625, 1.25, 1.875, 2.5, 3.75, 5m). I also tried to integrate with TweakScale but BubbleSize doesn't seem to work correctly with TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS

For clarity tho, this mod is not part of KSPI, it operates completely stand alone. Hence why it is a small part pack with unique models and valance per size.

Would prefer this thread stick to the out of the box version of the drive and leave the kspi altered config in that thread to prevent confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

Can this Mod Travel to other stars in more solar systems mod ?

No reason why not, it's pretty brisk and can get from Kerbin to jool in a matter of seconds.

Oh, and, just by looking at this, I have one thing to say:

Where was THIS when I needed to plan a rescue mission when I accidently sent a Munar mission into orbit around Kerbol! (Don't ask me how I managed to do that...it's a long story)

I had the same idea for asteroid capture... I think a C class might fit in the bubble with a normal shaped ship. For an E your only hope would be attaching the claw directly to the drive and having the rest of your ship built behind it.

You're still going to need to match velocity with the asteroid upon intercept, and do something about your orbital velocity upon returning to Kerbin. These are going to need a lot of delta-v against that asteroid. That second one could possibly be handled by multiple warps towards Kerbin to bleed off the velocity.

Keep in mind though you're being a test pilot for this... I have no idea how the warp code will behave with the claw (which is buggy). So, report back if you try it!

The biggest thing to do with a warp drive that seems almost cheating is plane changes. Those are essentially free as long as your altitude remains the same.

Edited by helaeon
should be towards not away

Helaeon: What is the catch with the claw? (Which claw anyway?)

RoverDude: I am impatiently waiting for it (the 5m drive). Oh by the way. I using KASA dock and created a tiny probe with this drive. My stations parts allways exploded (I suspect the bubble was messing with them)

Then I edited the config for the XSI class huge dock to rescale it twice up the original size. now that initial bubble burst (when the ship was finalized by EL) is fit inside of it.

therefore I'd like to ask if is there any possibilities to not fire that initial bubble when the ship is get to the launchpad or the dock? I didn't tried your tiny orbital dock yet.

Oh. I am forgot to mention the profit possibilities with it :D

Make it in orbit and land it at kerbin garanteed free 1.2 million kerbuck.

Anyway this drive is awesome, thank you. Yesterday was the testflight for me. And I am so sad... I need a bigger galaxy to play with now :D

Side note. After the fifth deconstruction of the probe I realized I should turn off exotic matter generation while firing the engine :D

Edited by Ricardo79

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.